• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Anyone know anything about nail guns. I bought a Porter Cable FR350A framing nailer recently that doesn't work. Thinking a rebuild kit might get it back to working like new. Is there more to them that can go wrong that a rebuild kit wouldn't fix?

WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    Worst case, find a power tool repair shop and see if they can rebuild it. Sometimes tool rental shops will repair also.

Did you lube the moving parts on the nose? Safety mechanism, etc...

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Never thought I'd try something like this - but after finding an excellent video on the subject, I bought a rebuild kit from Amazon and cracked it open. What I found was that the plastic internal part were crumbling. With the help of the video, I replaced everything. It's working like new now.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How did the nail get shot? Did he catch the plate on something to fire it unintentionally? Those things make me nervous. I've never used one, but I've cleaned up after them enough.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How did the nail get shot? Did he catch the plate on something to fire it unintentionally? Those things make me nervous. I've never used one, but I've cleaned up after them enough.

When I was working construction, I was using one left handed and barely able to reach what I was nailing, barely caught the corner, and the nail didn't catch the wood very well, zipped right through, and went through my thumb. It missed the bone, but was still stuck in there, about 2" of nail sticking out either side, and the thumb had instantly swelled to grab it so I couldn't pull it out.

It is possible to take a hammer or cat's paw or something, pull the safety tab back, and pull the trigger to shoot nails at a piece of insulation foam or the like to play Paslode darts....

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Okay, one more time:

1. All nail guns are loaded with nails - Always
    2. Never point your nail gun at something you're not willing to securely and permanently fasten to the board beneath it.
    3. Keep your finger off the nail gun trigger until you're ready to nail.
    4. Never use a 1" nail on 1.5" studs.
    5. Don't trip over the air hose or you'll fall off the roof.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    It is possible to take a hammer or cat's paw or something, pull the safety tab back, and pull the trigger to shoot nails at a piece of insulation foam or the like to play Paslode darts....
    Yes, yes it is... And shooting at coworkers is more fun. Not that I would have ever done something so immature...:rolleyes:Air staplers have about a 25' range and are a God send to over worked, underpaid teen roofers!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Working in my attic one time, I noticed several places where there's a row of nails coming through the sheeting about an inch away from the rafter. Think the guy realized what he did and shot another row of nails where they needed to be?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have seen some nasty results of nail guns as well.

Seen a guy nailed to the floor thru the top of his boot...should have seen us getting him loose.

Had another guy who nailed all 4 fingers together in the sides....went in all 4 fingers.

And last but not least....we had a roofer shoot himself in his knee while it was bent and he was 3 stories up on a walk board. He couldnt straighten his legs because it "locked up" his movement......the firemen saved him. He was working the next day.

Top Bottom