A couple of questions for our LEO members.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Suppoose you pulled me over for speeding. Nothing crazy, maybe 45 in a 35. As you approach my Suburban, you see a couple of rifle cases in the cargo area.

1. Do you request to see the guns so you can run the serial numbers or check for illegal configurations (SBS, unregistered MG)? What if I refuse?

2. What if the cases are locked with combination locks and I refuse to open them? What actions do you take next?

I'm also interested to know what you would do versus what you think some of your fellow, less 2A friendly, officers might do.

Like 1032JBT said I probably wouldn't stop you for 45 in a 35, unless it was during a blizzard or a school zone during school hours.

If I did stop you and saw what I knew to be rifle cases, I'd ask you what was in them, simply because I'm a gun nut and I'm always interested in what guns people own/carry. I'm not fishing for anything, I'm just making conversation. If you chose to be an a-hole and tell me its none of my business, I'll probably sign you up for whatever infraction I stopped you for. If you engage me in pleasant conversation about something that interests both of us, I'll more than likely let you go with a warning. Unless I have PC to open the cases I won't even ask, but you are more than welcome to show me if you have something really cool in them. :)

I can't speak for my coworkers. One thing to remember about police officers is that some of them aren't necessarily anti-2A, they just aren't as pro-2A as some of us.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Frank-N-Stein for official INGO LEO rep!

Not all LEOs are gun nuts. The LEOs that have been my friends, have been gun nuts.

I had one LEO "stalker." He was a Fed... neighbors for a time. Almost like a stray. Once the topic shifted to guns. He couldn't tell me what he carried... was only semi-sure of the caliber. He had to pull it out and check. He felt NO ONE other than LEO should carry.

One of my best friends for a decade and a half? Charleston SC Police Detective. Big time gun nut. The only non-family member to ever gift a firearm to me. Very, very good friends.

The common denominator as a symbol of freedom and personal responsibility? Gun nut buddies! The most self-sufficient of my friend/acquaintances. The non-gun-nut friends/acquaintances would be lost of their power goes out. ;)

Frank-N-Stein is good people.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not fishing for anything

That's one of the problems in this kind of situation. I wouldn't know at the outset if I had run into someone like you, who is just having a friendly conversation, or someone who sees a couple of guns and thinks that I might be his next big arrest.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Now if Frank stops you don't tell him you have a gun. He'll want to see it. Then he'll want to show you his. Then he'll want to talk all day long about guns...before you know it you've spent 4 hours on the side of the road smelling his hot garbage breath and now you're late for dinner. Just be a dick immediately so you can go...it's worth the 150$ ticket.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    That's one of the problems in this kind of situation. I wouldn't know at the outset if I had run into someone like you, who is just having a friendly conversation, or someone who sees a couple of guns and thinks that I might be his next big arrest.

I think the intentions of the officer will be apparent with what he/she says to you as soon as they see the cases.

Now if Frank stops you don't tell him you have a gun. He'll want to see it. Then he'll want to show you his. Then he'll want to talk all day long about guns...before you know it you've spent 4 hours on the side of the road smelling his hot garbage breath and now you're late for dinner. Just be a dick immediately so you can go...it's worth the 150$ ticket.

Thanks, I love you too.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm only a Fireman so I would prone you out and stomp on you with my bunker boots. Cause, you know EMTs and Firefighters really do that stuff all the time now a days. And, that's the real reason we have tools is to break into your stuff.

You know we firefighters have police powers in Indiana now right? I am going to start checking permits on every person I see with a sidearm.:):

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I keeed i keeeeed! Frank you are always invited to my luxurious futon. You can inspect whatever gun you want.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    By now I think the OP has his answer. Myself? I could care less what you had in the gun cases. If you had no warrants,was sober, not high and not suspended you would be down the road within about five or ten minutes. If you were any of the above more than likely your SUV will be impounded. With a impound an inventory would be done per SOP's. That includes any and all containers located within the vehicle,locked or not.

With most guys I know and work with it would be the same.

Twingram

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Blackford County
    I like most of the other LEO's on here would just want to know what you have out of curiosity lol. But by saying "its none of your business" or something along those lines, depending how it was said, I may lead me to believe that you had something you didn't want me to see in there and I may push the issue.

"You catch more bees with honey" lol

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Do EMT's have police powers now to? Just curious if I missed a memo? Id love to quit impersonating an officer and check for LTCH's as an EMT

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    Do EMT's have police powers now to? Just curious if I missed a memo? Id love to quit impersonating an officer and check for LTCH's as an EMT

Yes, and you can do cavity searches for your personal safety. No weapons in the ambulance. You get your TSAswatmedic patch.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I might ask what you have, simply as one gun owner to another, but would have no reason to go further than that.

Before the comma I was getting ready to neg rep but....

I would ignore the gun cases. They are irrelevant to the traffic stop. I am, of course, a dinosaur.

Shame on you, I thought you were a gun nut like the rest of us. Consensual encouters are still allowed. I've asked officers what they are carrying.

However, if the reason for the stop was expired license plates, then your vehicle could be towed and an inventory search conducted. Dept policy would then dictate whether the locked containers could be searched.

03, I'm not sure if that is the case now. There was a post on here by a (supposed, newcomer so I can't say for sure) LEO, who stated that on an inventory search on a stolen car, there was a lock box in the trunk. They opened it up and found a bunch of meth and a handgun. The appeals court through it out. I can't find the post now but I thought it was in a sticky. The judge said they needed a warrant to open it and even people driving a stolen car had an expectation of privacy. Supposed to be a relatively recent case. Dangit, you ruined my perfectly good humorous post by making me post a serious answer. Neg rep for you.:)

I think the intentions of the officer will be apparent with what he/she says to you as soon as they see the cases

Come on Frank, you know that you and the rest of the LEO crew here on INGO can sweet talk your way into any gun case. ;)

You know we firefighters have police powers in Indiana now right? I am going to start checking permits on every person I see with a sidearm.:):

Why would you want police powers? You already got them beat.....
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QgctZDpHSQ"]YouTube - COPS VS FIREMAN 1-7[/ame]

Top Bottom