• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I went up to Chicago this weekend for an annual reunion of my wife's extended family. Talked to a cousin of hers & the subject of gun control and self-defense came up. ("Why would I need a gun? That's what we have police for"). On the heels of telling me a second cop had been murdered outside his Precinct this last week, he told me about a _third_ cop he knew who'd been accosted by thieves who wanted to steal his motorcycle. They would have succeeded except the cop's father saw them, came outside and supposedly killed two of the assailants.

After telling me this, the guy _still_ said his plan was to go inside the house and call the cops. Just unbelieveable.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Conditioning is a powerful thing. I love seeing new shooters, trap in this case, when everything comes together: gun mounting, calling for the bird, pointing at the bird, and BANG! The bird breaks into a hundred pieces; along with the conditioning. They began to understand that a Gun is just a tool. How many people get assaulted with baseball bats?

I hope your cousin never has to find out just how far the police are away.

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    Hey, hold on a sec.....

Did you say "Chicago"? Like as in Chicago Illinois? Are you positive?

Because they don't HAVE guns there. This guy named Dick Daley said "NO GUNS!" and they all magically disappeared from the hands of everyone, especially anyone who would even consider doing something illegal.

You must be talking about somewhere else, like some rural area where people have enough guns to arm the entire family including Rover and Fluffy.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ..."Why would I need a gun? That's what we have police for"

Why would they need a fire extinguisher? That's what we have fire fighters for.

Why would they need to know CPR? That's what we have EMTs for.

Heck, why would they need a job? That's what we have welfare for.

Some people will just never understand personal responsibility or self reliance.
    Others won't step up to the task for lack of someone else to blame - truly their greatest fear.

Sad.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Hey, hold on a sec.....

Because they don't HAVE guns there. This guy named Dick Daley said "NO GUNS!" and they all magically disappeared from the hands of everyone, especially anyone who would even consider doing something illegal.

You must be talking about somewhere else, like some rural area where people have enough guns to arm the entire family including Rover and Fluffy.

Man, we have enough guns to arm the family, the cats, the flock of chickens, the goats, and a few passing birds.

I refuse to arm the squirrels, raccoons, possums, or skunks. I can spare them some ammo though.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well in the past 2 months there have been 3 CPD LEO shooting with all three LEOs dead. Today the Chicago Sun Times is reporting that last night a CPD LEO was shot and killed outside his home. The officer was only 2 weeks away from retirement.

The other two incidents are:

- CPD LEO was shot outside the PD office. LEO and somone in the parkling lot had a few words and then the killer, took the LEO's gun and shot him before fleeing. That CPD LEO was an insturctor from what I heard.

- CPD LEO was about to get on his bike (persnal bike @ home) when several men come up to him to try and steal his bike. LEO, the guys and LEO's father (who came outof his house) get into a shoot out. The LEO and 1 BG die, with the other BG running away.

Now back to the OP.
    Someone beat me to it. It's conditioning on some people.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have a buddy here that has that exact same rationale. Some people don't ever look at the average response times of police after they are called. I don't blame the police at all as it is simple logistics and is even worse in a bigger city.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have a buddy here that has that exact same rationale. Some people don't ever look at the average response times of police after they are called. I don't blame the police at all as it is simple logistics and is even worse in a bigger city.

And many people simply don't understand that I don't WANT the police to take responsibility for my safety. The person with the most vested interest in it is ME. If I'm in trouble and the cops can show up to help, great, but they should NOT EVER be who people rely on first.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    To paraphrase what the fellow who writes for "Guns" and "American Handgunner" under the name of John Connor tells folks like your cousin: "If you find yourself in the midst of a situation where every second counts, it's not much comfort to know that the police might be only minutes away."

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    His attitude pretty much exemplifies how far in the sand some folks have their heads. Things there are so bad the cops can't even protect themselves, how the heck are they supposed to be able to protect you?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    His attitude pretty much exemplifies how far in the sand some folks have their heads. Things there are so bad the cops can't even protect themselves, how the heck are they supposed to be able to protect you?

But it's so much easier to think that nothing bad can happen to me. After all bad things only happen "over there". Having to carry a firearm or thinking of having a gun in the house means I have to "ackonlwedge" that bad things can happen to me. No way I can acknowledge that and continue to live me peaceful life of shopping, soccer games, etc.

It's so much better to live in the bubble of safety and depend on the men and women in blue and the firefighters than have to worry about my own safety and protection.

It's this logic that the majority of them live by and they won't change until a LIFE CHANGING EVENT occurs to me and the reality of the real world comes slapping them in the face. One can only send a small prayer to GOD that the LCE does not kill them. If you don't beleive in GOD then hum.. not sure I guess just ask whomever that the LCE does not kill them before they can see the light.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Hey, hold on a sec.....

Well, in at least two cases, the murderers took the weapon from the police officer and killed him with it. Guess you don't have to have your own gun if you're going to do that.

Top Bottom