• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    A guy offered me some 9mm in trade and I assumed it would be factory loads and it turns out it's not. He apparently didn't know any better, and did give me another box of ammo when I pointed out the cases were all different brands, but I still have the reloads.

I would feel safe enough shooting them in my Blackhawk but I'm not sure about in automatics.

I could put them on a scale and make sure they all weigh the same, then pull two apart and weigh the powder charge, then see if the powder they're loaded with could be double charged or if it would overfill the case.

The bullets seem to be high performance hollow points; maybe just sell them for components?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A guy offered me some 9mm in trade and I assumed it would be factory loads and it turns out it's not. He apparently didn't know any better, and did give me another box of ammo when I pointed out the cases were all different brands, but I still have the reloads.

I would feel safe enough shooting them in my Blackhawk but I'm not sure about in automatics.

I could put them on a scale and make sure they all weigh the same, then pull two apart and weigh the powder charge, then see if the powder they're loaded with could be double charged or if it would overfill the case.

The bullets seem to be high performance hollow points; maybe just sell them for components?
    I'd pull them, dump the powder in a container measure about 10 loads to find the avg weight. If you recognize the powder you can look it up. If not put your own powder in and seat the bullets and shoot them.

@Kirk Freeman is close by have him shoot them for you.

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Never shoot another person’s reloads because all it takes is one mistaken and unknown squib or double charge and you will have a heap of trouble.
    Exactly, but do you not think my proving method would rule out non-standard loads from the correct ones? [except my only scale is a food scale. It was weighing some of the rounds at 13 g and some at 12 g so I gave up, need more precision than that]

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Exactly, but do you not think my proving method would rule out non-standard loads from the correct ones? [except my only scale is a food scale. It was weighing some of the rounds at 13 g and some at 12 g so I gave up, need more precision than that]
    No. Weight of cases can vary more than that. Pull the bullets and reload them yourself or sell all as components only. Not really sure why you would trade for them after you noticed they were reloads.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Components unless you have something you know is tough but won't be missed. revolver or semi-auto

Sadly, brass weight variance is more than the min-max load for many powders.

Even if the charges are all the same, do you know what powder it is? Are you sure? 6gr might be a moderate load for one powder but woefully overcharged for another.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010

Are we talking 50 rds, or 5K rds; and do you reload yourself?

If it were me, I'd pull'em and enjoy the primed cases. I'd look at the bullets, and if in decent shape, enjoy them too. The powder would get "burnt" separately, but never back in a case. If you don't reload, or have the tools to pull them, see if anybody that does wants them for the parts (with full disclosure of course).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glock Food!

I’m joking. I have an old M&P I would feed those to. Even at todays crazy component prices 50 rounds of 9mm aren’t really worth the hassle.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, crap. I bet 90% of responses to that are gonna be armchair lawyers telling you "It'S ilLeGAL tO SelL ReLoaDS"

Just, kidding, lol, I love you, ht ;)
    My only related comment would be "So you arent convinced they are reliable enough for you to use, but you are willing to sell them to somebody else?" That doesnt square well.

Either they are safe enough to shoot or not. If I didnt think they were safe enough, I sure as hell wouldnt pass that liability on to somebody else. (But I guess if you are selling them as components to be pulled it would be cool)

But you do you.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    My only related comment would be "So you arent convinced they are reliable enough for you to use, but you are willing to sell them to somebody else?" That doesnt square well.

Either they are safe enough to shoot or not. If I didnt think they were safe enough, I sure as hell wouldnt pass that liability on to somebody else. (But I guess if you are selling them as components to be pulled it would be cool)

But you do you.
    Yeah, I guess I just took it for granted that OP was selling for components only and with a full disclaimer. If not, well...

(Edit, just checked HT and he is. Everything's good to go here! Don't mind me, just your friendly neighborhood internet police keeping everyone in line :shady:)

Top Bottom