• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Root

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    So I've decided I'd like my nightstand a whole lot more if one of these was sitting on it :D. Product: Model 686 Plus Revolver - 3", 7 Shot
    I just wanted to hear comments from others before I get one.
    My thoughts are:
    1. It pretty much HAS to be the S&W 686 at this point. I can't really explain why. I've looked at lots of others and they just don't do it for me. But I'm still curious to see if there's something else suggested. This would be my one and only revolver unless some sort black revolver disease sets in.
    2. For me, its just SUPPOSED to have 6 shots. Not 7. Is that ridiculous?
    3. 3". 2 1/2 is too short. 4" is too long. Again, I can't explain it.
    4. Is there some internal safety with these guns that aggravates people?
    5. There's gotta be night sights avail right?
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Model686.jpg

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    In the past I have carried the 686 6in. I found it to be quite the excellent handgun. I used that gun at work and for hunting. And yes, a cylinder with 7 shots seem weird at first,but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. I currently own a Taurus 66ss6 and it functions as the 686 did, just at a lower price. So all you need to do now is just BTT. and enjoy.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    686 is a good gun, I like the slightly smaller K-Frames myself. They're perfect.

6/7, who cares? Its your gun, get what you want. Though Spinal Tap would say that 7 is one better.

3" is a very good length, helps with concealment and the minimum to get the full potential from the cartridge. In my experience, 2.5" is fine, in fact, my favorite revolver was a 2.5" 19-3 S&W.

You can get night sights, you might look at the Nightguard series of guns, I'm pretty sure they make a 686 of some sort in Nightguard trim.

The internal safety that people rail against is in this case, not about people curmudeoning about those damned lawyers. It has been proven (in my mind at least) to be a serious detriment to a S&W revolver. Under high recoil situations (magnum steel or alloy guns or very lightweight guns with +P loads), the flag that locks the action, can engage without the key turning. From what I've read, this makes the gun a fancy rock. Not something I'd want in a defensive firearm. For this reason alone, I won't have a S&W with a lock that I intend to use for defense.

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    My favorite smith. You can find night sights but you will need special tools or gunsmith. Meprolite used to make them. Go for the seven shot the extra shot could save your life. Four inch barrel is better for me but to each his own. How about one of those night watchmen from smith&wesson. Or go to plainfield tell Bob what you want and have him order it for you.

Root

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Thanks all. Yea that Ruger is a strong second. I really like the satin finish. And its cheaper...

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    Good Choice

The 686 was the department issued weapon when I was a deputy years ago. I earned my expert pin using that pistol.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I just took 20 minutes to thoughtfully answer your post, then hit the backspace key and went back a page and lost everything.

:xmad:

Do what you want.
    I'm going to bed.
    cliffs notes:
    686 good.
    Ruger GP100 good
    3" barrel good.
    Even numbers good. 5 shots bad. 6 good. 7 bad. 8 GOOOOOD (model 327 or 627).
    night sights available.
    any other Smiff revolver also good.
    .357 magnum good.
    Internal lock there were early reports that said bad; there's a thread about it on smith-wessonforum.com, but there haven't been new reports for a few years now. My 21 oz (very light) model 327 has it; I haven't had problems even shooting full power magnums through it.

Top Bottom