• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    In addition to the risks BBI, points out, IIRC, at least 1 of the defensive encounters of Tom Givens' students involved 11 rounds fired by the defender. That's off the top of my head. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with others.

Additionally, attacks by more than 1 perp aren't what I'd call uncommon. I'd prefer to have the capacity to be able to give everyone the "attention" they deserve.

Take a FoF class sometime and see how many rounds are fired. It's not infrequently more than 6.

Sooo, is it likely you'll need more than six? Well, it's unlikely you'll need any gun at all. On that basis, don't carry. It's the "lighest" option.

We're not so much concerned with probability when we think within the context of carry, but rather - impact/consequences. While the 6 rounds is probably within the "average" number of rounds fired (maybe), don't forget, the data is distributed along something of a curve.

And, given today's materials and designs, it's never been easier to carry something with a capacity of at least 10 rounds. But, to each his own. People have different risk profiles, risk tolerances, etc. But don't say, "oh, you'll NEVER need more than 6 rounds." That's demonstrably false. There's a non-zero probably you might.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Age old question that will never be answered. Carry what you are comfortable with. Be aware of your surroundings and you will know when it's time to fight or bug out.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Do you need a high capacity pistol or will a SAA with 6 rounds do for everyday carry? I have not read a single article where a non law in forcemeat shooting required over 4 rounds to put the bad guys down or running. I am as guilty as most here wanting 50 rounds (counting reloads) to put down range, I carried a 2011 with 14 rounds of 10mm with 2 mags carrying 23 rounds. I am not going to be in a fire fight as i am not equipped for it at 76, also I don't have a patoon of Navy Seals to help me. Every round put down range that is a miss also has your name on it for any damage done so the SAA will limit you to 6 missis while that Glock could be 30.

Why dose a person EDCing need more than 6-7 rounds in a pistol other than they want it! Would make a lot lighter EDC if you only carried 6 or 12.
    There are many variables that a prepper ponders in determining his EDC equipment and ammo count. Experience, statistics, job, location of job and home, skill set, perception, lifestyle, paranoia level, theories, and other risk factors including propaganda feeds both fact and fluff.

Each one of us balancing all this in our decision making will never know if we got it right…ever….if we are lucky. I for one believe in high capacity grey matter between my ears and a 42oz steel gun on my hip for EDC.

Statistics are something that gets thrown into the mix by those wanting those to see it his way. Consider that the majority of us will live a full life and die of Natural Causes in a Hospice somewhere where the buzzards end up cleaning out your estate. What and how you carried will not matter if you stay out of a fight. However, should you need to defend yourself before your sons wife pulls the plug, you better know how to use it….whatever it is….including auxiliary found guns at the scene. Carry what you will but have the will to carry it well.

See you on the range

Trapper

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Chances are, I'll never need to draw my gun in anger. Chances are, if I do, I won't need to fire. Chances are, if I do fire, it will be a random act of violence that I'm facing and I'll need less than 6 rounds.

But, if I'm having a bad enough day to need to draw and fire, odds are already out the window, so I want to be ready for anything (almost).

To that end, I'll carry a spare pair of mags for my P229 just in case lady luck is giving me the finger that day

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have been going armed for years. Being winter, the EDC is under my jacket, and jacket is closed. I keep my Surefire light in my off side jacket pocket, a 6 shot 9mm is in my strong side pocket.
    Will it bother me to use either one or both? Nope.
    21 rounds on hand is pretty solid.
    Summer carry may be the smaller gun, but a Glock19 is close at hand. Cargo shorts are the best way to carry.

Top Bottom