• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Can anyone recommend a shop in this region to do bullet proofing or generic equivelant?

Shops to avoid is useful information as well.

I talked to a shop a couple of years ago that was really helpful & leaning toward them but want to do my due diligence before taking it in.

Thanks

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I too would like to know this. I still have mine back there in Bloomington, and I'm on the fence about keeping it or selling it. If I do, I'll want to bulletproof it.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I have a friend that works at Ford and does a ton on 7.3 and 6.0 work on the side. He has done some work on my 6.7 Cummins as well. PM me if you would like his contact and I can get you in touch with him. He is in the Trafalgar area.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    What are you referring to as bulletproofing? Head studs and bulletproof egr cooler? Also replacement of oil cooler and updated fuel pressure regulator kit? What year 6.0 ? Early models such as 03-04 models also recommend new HP oil pump , as the smaller early pumps are fragile. when cab off 6.0 repair is being performed you must also consider a complete engine reseal to repair oil leaks from the bed plate and rear cover and front cover. Really fix all the issues the 14-18 year old engine may need. Also need to consider how much crankcase pressure/blowby engine has.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    What are you referring to as bulletproofing? Head studs and bulletproof egr cooler? Also replacement of oil cooler and updated fuel pressure regulator kit? What year 6.0 ? Early models such as 03-04 models also recommend new HP oil pump , as the smaller early pumps are fragile. when cab off 6.0 repair is being performed you must also consider a complete engine reseal to repair oil leaks from the bed plate and rear cover and front cover. Really fix all the issues the 14-18 year old engine may need. Also need to consider how much crankcase pressure/blowby engine has.
    I image they want egr delete/studs. My 6 leaker I used to have had the cab off a couple times. I had 225cc injectors and a large non VGT whirlybird as well tho lol.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Mine is an 06 with 265k, last time I checked little to no blowby, uses only about a quart every 3k if pulling heavy load.

Looking for studs, egr delete, probably oil cooler, possibly injectors, etc.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Mine is an 06 with 265k, last time I checked little to no blowby, uses only about a quart every 3k if pulling heavy load.

Looking for studs, egr delete, probably oil cooler, possibly injectors, etc.

In my opinion, with that many miles I probably would not even touch it.

Usually people will Bulletproof 6.0ls so they reach as many miles as you have already. The 6.0l is not a bad engine. The problem is when kids try and "trick" them out and then you run into head stud and EGR issues.

With all that being said, Wasted Diesel in Huntington did one of my 6.0ls. It was my dually with less than 100K miles. Thay had that truck so dialed in she would smoke all four rear tires. I loved that ****ing truck, she was a beast.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Mine is an '04 with ~160K miles on it. Originally a Texas truck. I tried to sell it on here before I moved over here to Bahrain for work. I picked it up CHEAP, didn't really need it, but my suburban had died that week and I saw it with a for sale sign on it... Search my name in the non-firearms related classifieds, and you will see where I tried to sell it back in 2015, and has all the details on it.

Carmichael's here in Bloomington gave it a clean bill of health before I bought it in 2013. Since then I've had to replace glow plugs, had an EGR blow on me, and HPOP replaced. But I'd like to probably have studs, egr delete, and maybe replace all the injectors (only had the problem ones replaced when they went out a couple years ago).

Top Bottom