• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Nothing is bullet proof, first of all. I've seen straight 6 blocks cracked in half through the cam journals.

The 6.0 engine is already at the durability limit for firing pressure and EGT. Advancing timing, adding fuel, etc is likely to either break injector tips, burn exhaust valves, or lift ring lands.

This isn't some old clattering cummins or 7.3 that were over designed by 2 or 3x. Even the 7.3s would start to crack pistons by just advancing timing. Granted those were on marine engines that saw a LOT of full power, but still...

Head studs are nice, EGT delete will make it idle louder, and part throttle driving will be worse, unless you re-calibrate (which will just be a SWAG since it was never done properly). WOT runs off of an EGR OFF table anyway, so it won't affect that.

Modern manufacturers spend millions of dollars to bring a product to market that performs well. If you start tinkering with it, something will go wrong. It'll make lots of noise and black smoke and be fun for a while, but don't expect it to last forever.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    You are in the wrong forum. You should head over to the ford truck forum for your truck. Lots of great helpful people there will actually help you unlike where u are now. So with that save your time and money and buy a Chevy. The ingo way!!!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You are in the wrong forum. You should head over to the ford truck forum for your truck. Lots of great helpful people there will actually help you unlike where u are now. So with that save your time and money and buy a Chevy. The ingo way!!!

He wants a vehicle that will last for crying out loud! Even though purple is applied in your statement he may not understand thats a joke! :rofl:

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Bulletproofed on a 6.0 means head studs and egr delete. That’s all. It is a common term to use for 6.0 PS because they were plauged with egr cooler failures as well as head gasket failures. They have 4 extremely long coarse threaded ,torque to yield head bots per cylinder. Also have a fragile egr cooler that when coupled with a easily restricted oil cooler that feeds egr cooler causes premature heat failure. All that being said, it’s a fine engine once all the proper repairs are done. Bottom end is very robust, and top end can be when done properly and monitored. The added bonus is the rest of the drivetrain is also extremely strong as well. All that being said, if you are thinking about a diesel , do your homework and be prepared for big repair bills no matter what brand.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Any experience with longevity after head studs and EGR delete stuff. Are they really bullet proof then?

I actually like the 6.0L. Studs and EGR delete are a good idea on the 03 and 04 models. I had a bulletproofed 06 and she ran like a scalded cat. I have a 05 6.0L with nothing done to it and I will not touch it either. If you find one bulletproofed at a good price I would not not be afraid to jump on it.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    I found an 05 studs and egr done. Absolutely zero rust, truck is super clean. Runs out good and idles steady. Has 194k on the clock. Doesn't appear to have had any tuners mounted on the dash but you never know. Anyway, I really like it and anything has risk. Thanks for the responses.

Top Bottom