• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    :noway: Wouldnt let me disassemble a FEG hi power this afternoon. Bought one last week off of GunBroker and have been REALLY impressed with this firearm.
    The guy asked " why would you need to disassemble this gun" ?
    Is it just me or does everyone like to see the workings of a used gun they may purchase?I wanna see the bore, and wanna see if the gun was taken care of. I've never had this issue anywhere else.
    He then wanted to show me with a flashlight and bore light, NAH not interested, I'll take my business elsewhere.

The truth is I was just killin time, Had to pickup my son from youth ministry and had about 15-20 mins to kill. if he would have come down $40 i would have made the purchase. oh well his loss.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    Ill admit I will do a mild breakdown on some rifles that are very simple , like pull the top off of a ak47 and but the rod out to make sure someone didn't shoot corrosive through it and not clean it well. It actually saved me on a ak74 at a pawn shop. I pulled the top off and inside the receiver was garbage, looked like salt water had sat in there. Yeh i passed on that one.

I do understand shops not wanting to let you break down a gun though, if you loose a spring, reassemble incorrectly or whatever its on them I would think.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Ill admit I will do a mild breakdown on some rifles that are very simple , like pull the top off of a ak47 and but the rod out to make sure someone didn't shoot corrosive through it and not clean it well. It actually saved me on a ak74 at a pawn shop. I pulled the top off and inside the receiver was garbage, looked like salt water had sat in there. Yeh i passed on that one.

I do understand shops not wanting to let you break down a gun though, if you loose a spring, reassemble incorrectly or whatever its on them I would think.
    I can kinda understand, however he didnt offer to disassemble the firearm.
    Only a flashlight inspection!! nah, I'll pass

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Yeah, I don't know if any shop is going to let you disassemble a gun " just killin time".
    I've NEVER had an issue anywhere else. Only gonna disassemble if I plane on purchasing, not gonna just grab a gun and start pulling it apart for no reason. Come on Site Supporter!!
    New gun, no need
    Used, by all means before I purchase.
    Was willing to spend $$ "Just Killin Time":):

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I've NEVER had an issue anywhere else. Only gonna disassemble if I plane on purchasing, not gonna just grab a gun and start pulling it apart for no reason. Come on Site Supporter!!
    New gun, no need
    Used, by all means before I purchase.
    Was willing to spend $$ "Just Killin Time":):

I understood what you meant about killing time. If the Ole Boy didn't have attitude or something to hide, you would have made the buy if he was willing to deal.

My harley Dealership told me they have sold many new motorcycles to a guy killing time waiting for his oil, or a tire to be changed.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Did you know the LGS employee? Due to the context of your post, I would assume the answer is no. With that being said, he, in turn, did not know you either; he didn't know if you were capable or not of "disassembling" a firearm. And by "disassembling" I'm assuming you mean "field stripping?" While I understand where you are coming from wanting to inspect said firearm prior to purchasing, what were you be looking for that you couldn't see?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    While looking at them I say "do you mind?" While they give me the puzzled look I pop it apart and next thing you know I'm looking down the barrel. By that time it's too late for them to protest. ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, I don't know if any shop is going to let you disassemble a gun " just killin time".

I am very good friends with the entire staff at 500 guns. I have seen them tear one down on the counter before and I have done it for customers while just hanging out. Maybe they knew you were kicking tires.....:dunno:

If you dealt with the off the street crowd they get these days it is easy to get beat down.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Did you know the LGS employee? Due to the context of your post, I would assume the answer is no. With that being said, he, in turn, did not know you either; he didn't know if you were capable or not of "disassembling" a firearm. And by "disassembling" I'm assuming you mean "field stripping?" While I understand where you are coming from wanting to inspect said firearm prior to purchasing, what were you be looking for that you couldn't see?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The owner of that shop has forgotten more about guns than I will ever know. His son has nearly as much experience and the "Hired" hand has a wealth of knowledge as well.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Listen, I've been in this store alot, and purchased firearms and traded firearms with this store on several occasions.
    Kickin tires? YEP
    Killing time? YEP
    Hired help? YEP
    Willing to make a purchase? YEP
    Willing to disassemble firearm FOR ME?? Nope
    Firearm purchased? who knows we never got to that point about price. BUT***Nope
    Not doubting their wealth of knowledge with firearms.
    I yes I understand ur point about the clients they deal with on a daily basis.
    I'll visit this store again. Dont get bitter***,, reconsider!!!

I Love Bourbon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    :noway: Wouldnt let me disassemble a FEG hi power this afternoon. Bought one last week off of GunBroker and have been REALLY impressed with this firearm.
    The guy asked " why would you need to disassemble this gun" ?
    Is it just me or does everyone like to see the workings of a used gun they may purchase?I wanna see the bore, and wanna see if the gun was taken care of. I've never had this issue anywhere else.
    He then wanted to show me with a flashlight and bore light, NAH not interested, I'll take my business elsewhere.

The truth is I was just killin time, Had to pickup my son from youth ministry and had about 15-20 mins to kill. if he would have come down $40 i would have made the purchase. oh well his loss.

Sometimes the "customer is always right", this isn't one of those instances.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Sometimes the "customer is always right", this isn't one of those instances.

Not looking to be "RIGHT"!!

Was looking for a blued/gloss FEG and they had it, they wasnt willing to take the first step towards selling this firearm. INSPECTION!!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Not looking to be "RIGHT"!!

Was looking for a blued/gloss FEG and they had it, they wasnt willing to take the first step towards selling this firearm. INSPECTION!!
    You said he offered a bore light. You could see everything you needed to with it. So, a little unfair to say he wouldn't allow you to inspect it.
    You also said if he would have come down $40, you would have bought it. So, $40 less, the inability to "inspect" doesn't matter any more!?

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    You said he offered a bore light. You could see everything you needed to with it. So, a little unfair to say he wouldn't allow you to inspect it.
    You also said if he would have come down $40, you would have bought it. So, $40 less, the inability to "inspect" doesn't matter any more!?
    He would'nt even disassemble for me. Now, If you guys wanna buy a $400 used handgun without a "VERY BASIC"field strip thats up to you. Seems very odd that a gun shop of this caliber would not want to handle this BASIC prcedure. My 12 yr old son could handle this. I've sold guns on INGO that I allowed the buyer to do this.
    No! it would have taken the inspection and a $40 price drop.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Read my post, I said the FIRST STEP towards selling this firearm was INSPECTION!
    HINT 2nd step would be price drop.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Ya know*** after thinking this over and reading this thread ya'll are right. What i mean by this is, I just bought a handgun off GBroker site unseen.
    Sorry for the BS rant and this SLIGHT 500 gun bashing.
    Thread should have never been started!! I was wrong.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ya know*** after thinking this over and reading this thread ya'll are right. What i mean by this is, I just bought a handgun off GBroker site unseen.
    Sorry for the BS rant and this SLIGHT 500 gun bashing.
    Thread should have never been started!! I was wrong.

Not wrong. Good points made in good conversation. I have gotten a bit miffed at other LGS for reasons that if openly discussed I might have to reconsider my reactions. No harm, no foul.
    Give them a chance. They are all good men.

Top Bottom