• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    They kind of got the link between mental illness and "mass shooters". If video games were so much an influence, myself and millions of others must be anomalies...so much so that they are confusing the normal mental profile with the people who barely manage what's real and what's not.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I have mixed feelings about that article. It's hard to take anything serious with a bar graph from Mother Jones. The mass shooting and suicide parts were interesting though (assuming it was all factually correct information), everything else was merely painting gun enthusiasts as whackjobs. A hobby or interest doesn't mean you're some fantasizing creep trying to feel like you're a "real man."

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have mixed feelings about that article. It's hard to take anything serious with a bar graph from Mother Jones. The mass shooting and suicide parts were interesting though (assuming it was all factually correct information), everything else was merely painting gun enthusiasts as whackjobs. A hobby or interest doesn't mean you're some fantasizing creep trying to feel like you're a "real man."

Of course not, but pay attention to the gun culture long enough and you'll see plenty of examples. People with thousands of rounds loaded up into mags in preparation of "zombies." Or people who are 100+lbs overweight and ready to drop from a heart attack, but are well prepared in the event of Red Dawn. It may not necessarily be fantasizing about killing people, but it's definitely a Hollywood-type fantasy. Don't take this statement to mean I think most gun owners are that way, but you'll definitely see it if you pay attention. As much as we hate to admit it, we are just as susceptible to advertising and suggestion as any other group. Look through a few gun rags and you'll see who their target audience is, and those companies don't sell millions a year in product by not knowing their target audience.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Of course not, but pay attention to the gun culture long enough and you'll see plenty of examples. People with thousands of rounds loaded up into mags in preparation of "zombies." Or people who are 100+lbs overweight and ready to drop from a heart attack, but are well prepared in the event of Red Dawn. It may not necessarily be fantasizing about killing people, but it's definitely a Hollywood-type fantasy. Don't take this statement to mean I think most gun owners are that way, but you'll definitely see it if you pay attention. As much as we hate to admit it, we are just as susceptible to advertising and suggestion as any other group. Look through a few gun rags and you'll see who their target audience is, and those companies don't sell millions a year in product by not knowing their target audience.

True. I guess I just felt the article was trying to convey anyone who has an interest in owning an AR-15, or the like, is living a fantasy. I don't own any semi-auto rifles, just as a disclaimer. Though, I do want one (does that mean I'm wanting to feel macho? :):)

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County

Do you know me?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sheesh... with the number of times they used the word "totally" I felt like I was reading something written by Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Gnarly dude! :rolleyes:

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Well if all those gun collectors are doing it because they are worried about their manhood, where does that leave the female firearm enthusiasts? It never really mentioned that :)

That article was certainly from a different perspective than I normally see. Kind of interesting, but never comes to any hard conclusions, a lot of "maybes"

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    As a gun owner I look at this article and kind of shake my head. If I was someone on the fence about guns this would not sway me to buy a gun. But, it might make me think a bit more about my thoughts on guns and their owners. I think anytime someone points out that a vast majority of us gun owners are law abiding citizens it is a good thing. Too often media attempts to make it seem like all gun owners are whack jobs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Many of the statistics of this article were incorrect, specifically the suicide statistics. I feel that it was a "foot in the door" article designed to get your average gun owner to consider the "reasonable middle ground" between the Second Amendment and total gun bans. The trouble is that there is no middle ground. It is like banning only "certain types" of Pop Tarts in the effort to battle obesity.

Also, the article starts out pretending that talking about people instead of guns, but ends up quoting made up statistics about the lack of guns reducing suicides and some types of psychotic killing episodes. I repeat, a "foot in the door" article to soften up the gun owner for "reasonable" gun restrictions.

Frankly, it made me a little ill...

Top Bottom