• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    What quail are left should thrive being the lack of winter we've had. I wish the grouse would rebound.

Grouse need transition habitat. Small trees, thick cover. Some pines are a nice plus too. Too many people, too many large farms. Wildlife is not the priority, unfortunately. Working on my own 30 acres but I'll never have enough to reverse the statewide hunting ban. I've seen one in the last 15 years. Used to hear them drumming when I was a kid. Whippoorwills were common too. Bet it's been 20 years since I heard one. Used to whistle at them from the porch until they'd fly into the yard.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If I ever have a free weekend... We'll work something out!!!
    Sounds good, you have my number and email!!

I had the IN District Wildlife Biologist out, he said in all his years of making visits to various properties my place is very easily at the top for wildlife potential. He was really excited to get this place squared away for wildlife and asked if he could live vicariously through me. Now if I could get some responsible predator hunters to make regular visits!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    On a side note I spotted a woodcock yesterday at our new property....Worms and spring peepers everywhere...We got about an acre near a sinkhole that stays wet year round covered with scrubby trees and briars...

Looks like woodcock heaven...I even got a decent pic with my phone...My brother is supposed to post the little video I took on Youtube and I will post it if he does...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think habitat is a big thing, so if I had to guess I'd say you'll see more. A buddy and I have hunted them a couple times both last year and this year. His place all borders an old mine that is full of good habitat, and all of the fields were bordered well, and through many there is high grass in drainage areas and where there are small elevation changes. I live about 3 to 4 miles away and I haven't seen a single bird around in probably 10 years on a fields edge or anywhere. This is basically what has brought me to believe it's all about habitat as several others have stated.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Well, crap. Guess that leaves me out. :(
    Haha... you may not be responsible but at least I know you outside of INGO...

On a side note I spotted a woodcock yesterday at our new property....Worms and spring peepers everywhere...We got about an acre near a sinkhole that stays wet year round covered with scrubby trees and briars...

Looks like woodcock heaven...I even got a decent pic with my phone...My brother is supposed to post the little video I took on Youtube and I will post it if he does...

Woodcock is something I had never seen until a few weeks ago. I wouldn't have even known what it was except I had a friend showing me the ropes on setting snares for coyote and he spotted it right as it flushed and told me what it was.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom