• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    When it comes to handgun cartridges, I feel there is often times… little room for improvement.

However, one cartridge sets itself apart. .460 Rowland is a relatively unknown chambering that actually does something other than marginal improvements.
    IMG_4559.jpeg
    .45 ACP / .460 Rowland / .44 Magnum

IMG_4560.jpeg
    Energy statistics generated from similar loadings offered from Underwood Ammo.

I’ve often felt that the entire ACP series of pistol cartridges could have been originally designed with a higher pressure limits. (Not to step on John Brownings feet). The .460 Rowland cartridges shows what .45 ACP could have been if allowed full pressure.

Here we see something rare. Two cartridges with very similar in case capacity and size…. but one that offers DOUBLE THE ENERGY! Of course this is achieved by basically doubling the SAAMI spec pressure. .45 Auto being about 21000 and .460 Rowland being about 40000. Both shooting same size and weight bullets.

.460 probably would likely not make for a good military / police cartridge given what we learned about 10mm in the 90s. But what it does do….. offers truly MAGNUM performance in PRACTICAL sized firearms for hunting / recreational shooters. At power levels much higher than even 10mm… and without having to use a revolver platform.

.460 Rowland is able to be able to be chambered in normal sized auto loading handguns like 1911s and even large frame polymer handguns ( XDs , Glocks ) Whereas in the past the only options for magnum autoloaders were the Coonan and Desert Eagles. Perhaps even the LAR pistols if you were that cool. All of which are just freakin huge.

IMG_4562.jpeg
    IMG_4561.jpeg
    IMG_4563.jpeg
    Whole point of this thread is to shed some light on the greatness of this actually different pistol cartridge…and to spark conversation of those who shoot and load this round. Looking forward to reading your comments down below.
    :ingo:

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Used to see 1911 conversion kits w comp barrels way back.

Min handgun deer legal case length for Indiana is 1.16"

The DNR made exception for the 10mm though.

.460 Rowland aint long enough.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Used to see conversion kits w comp barrels way back.

Min handgun deer legal case length for Indiana is 1.16"

The DNR made exception for the 10mm though.

.460 Rowland aint long enough.
    Unfortunate for Indiana hunters. Although personally I don't know any handgun hunters.

Other states have benefited more. Usually in the form of hog hunting from what Ive seen.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Unfortunate for Indiana hunters. Although personally I don't know any handgun hunters.

Other states have benefited more. Usually in the form of hog hunting from what Ive seen.
    The problem with using the Rowland for deer hunting, were it legal, is that almost all of the bullets are designed for performance at standard .45 acp velocity. When pushed to Rowland level velocity, those bullets will over expand and provide insufficient penetration.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    That is the problem with INGO! I am minding my own business and stumble into this thread and now I am down the rabbit hole thinking I need .460 rowland rounds. Especially if they will fit in my .45ACP. Two70 makes a good point about the bullet design.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    The problem with using the Rowland for deer hunting, were it legal, is that almost all of the bullets are designed for performance at standard .45 acp velocity. When pushed to Rowland level velocity, those bullets will over expand and provide insufficient penetration.
    I have a similar feeling.

Sure .460 is great on paper, but we really don't have bullets that can really expand and dump energy well in a deer or human sized target.

If I lived in Alaska and i had to shoot a moose or a bear .460 would be great.

With modern handgun bullets it seems pretty much anything over 500-600 Ft-ibs is either going to over expand or just blow right through the target

Really it seems like from gel tests of expansion with a 18-20" penetration ceiling that once you go over .45 +p you get diminishing returns

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My boss told me about this round after going to Alaska. His nephew has one as his bear gun. It’s an interesting round to say the least. Bill bought a FNX-45 Tactical and sent it out to Rowland for their conversion. What a beast. With 185gr non-bonded JHPs, it will vaporize milk jugs. There were larger water jugs that Bill tested the 185s on and it was impressive. The non-bonded JHPs fragmented to the point the largest piece recovered was a base of a jacket. Underwood might have bonded JHP loads (Gold Dots?) that might hold together. The 185s would be more of a self defense type load. The 230gr. Bonded might be a better choice for hunting where you don’t want to destroy a lot of meat. Underwood also has “Penetrator” loads which might work best for bear defense. Last I talked to Bill, he was looking for ballistics gel recipes to do some testing with to see the wound channels.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have a similar feeling.

Sure .460 is great on paper, but we really don't have bullets that can really expand and dump energy well in a deer or human sized target.

If I lived in Alaska and i had to shoot a moose or a bear .460 would be great.

With modern handgun bullets it seems pretty much anything over 500-600 Ft-ibs is either going to over expand or just blow right through the target

Really it seems like from gel tests of expansion with a 18-20" penetration ceiling that once you go over .45 +p you get diminishing returns
    There are some options but pretty much exclusively for reloaders. Barnes TAC-XP bullets for .45 ACP would probably work provided they were accurate at the velocity the .460 generates. The XPB bullets would probably be even better with the increased weight if they aren't too long for the case. Worst case scenario, the petals would separate and the shank would continue to penetrate. Not ideal but certainly better than a cup and core bullet coming completely apart in the first few inches or a hardcast bullet offering no expansion at all.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I imagine a 300gr XTP would work just fine .452

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Hard cast and fluid transfer bullets would also be a prime candidate if normal expanding bullets are expanding too much and penetrating too little

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Are you allowed to use WFNGC on deer in Indiana?
    All I see so far is no full metal jacket.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    All I see so far is no full metal jacket.
    For magnum handgun I've always stuck with XTP. They are great with that Xtra velocity, not so great under 1100fps.
    Doesn't matter if it's .355 to .452 if you aren't going to have 1100 fps at the muzzle it just isn't going to expand to its full potential.
    I love XTP bullets they are IMO one of the most accurate pistol bullets you can buy.

Top Bottom