• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    Ok i'm sure this has probably all ready been talked about , but i just ran into it this weekend . I had bought a bag of 250 mixed brass, when i started reloading i came to one the primer would not go -- so i removed the brass and noticed the primer hole was smaller then the primer . I remembered reading some ware that this was happening ,so i started sorting through the brass and came up with about 100 small primer brass. Heres my question ,my load data books are only a couple years old ,but they dont say any thing about this change -
    #1 when did it start ?
    #2 are all manufactures going to do this ?
    #3 Is there a powder change -more powder -less powder ?

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I think about 2/3 yrs ago Fed mostly "clean" ammo. My friends just load them with their standard load. Most guys sell them, throw them out-I would never do that-or set aside and use them for a match/etc incase you lose some.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Load them everything the same, but use small primers. The Winchester NT also has a much larger flash hole, I do not reload those.

I was not going to use the small primer brass at all, but when primers got difficult to find, I was able to use the brass that matched the primers I had. That was kind of handy.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    No change to the load data (other than use a small primer, of course). A lot of people chuck that small primer .45ACP brass. I save it until I have 500 or so and then swap the primer seater on my press and load it up. I try to use it for times when I don't want to chase the brass, like Friday Night Steel or a training course.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    I like em. it keeps me in only one pistol primer for them and 9MM.

Oh, and I've started a small non profit orphanage for those poor unwanted small primer brass, somewhere they can go and feel loved. Please let me know if you have any that need a good home!

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Just like Dolton, I prefer SPP brass. I primarily reload 9mm and 45 ACP so it makes it easier to just stock up on one primer. I have some large primer brass, but save that for when I get a decent amount and load them.

I'll take everyone's SPP garbage in Indy!!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    No change to the load data (other than use a small primer, of course). A lot of people chuck that small primer .45ACP brass. I save it until I have 500 or so and then swap the primer seater on my press and load it up. I try to use it for times when I don't want to chase the brass, like Friday Night Steel or a training course.

So far I've heard everything good or bad. Blaser and some Federal are SPP brass.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I also am using the 45 spp, but found when using Fiochi spp primers the cup would separate when depriming , leaving the walls of the primer in the brass. Did not have this problem with cci,and s&b primers.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I also am using the 45 spp, but found when using Fiochi spp primers the cup would separate when depriming , leaving the walls of the primer in the brass. Did not have this problem with cci,and s&b primers.

I worked my way through a few thousand of the Fiocchi primers and never had that, but I can see where that would be a real problem, especially on a progressive press.

Top Bottom