• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    A beautiful morning in the deer woods was made even better this morning. A nice doe got a little to close for her own good and the Marlin 1895 performed just like it was supposed to (like I hoped it would). The 35 yd. shot resulted in a 25 yd. run and a humane kill. I can't post pictures but I quessed her weight at 90 to 100 lbs. fat and slick. There was hardly any wasted meat and the best part of all .... only a 25 yd. drag. Happy New Year everybody!

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Congratulations, Tom! And it sure is nice to only have a 25 yard drag! I am curious what bullet you used and the approximate muzzle velocity.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Glad to hear the shortened 45/70 loads paid off, Tom. My wife took a deer with the 358GNR this year. It's cool when the wildcat work we do results in a successful hunt.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Only thing better than that is a 25 yard drag downhill! I'm so greatful for four wheelers! Makes it easier to hunt deeper in the woods. What bullet are you using? Anybody using a cast bullet in the 45-70?

A beautiful morning in the deer woods was made even better this morning. A nice doe got a little to close for her own good and the Marlin 1895 performed just like it was supposed to (like I hoped it would). The 35 yd. shot resulted in a 25 yd. run and a humane kill. I can't post pictures but I quessed her weight at 90 to 100 lbs. fat and slick. There was hardly any wasted meat and the best part of all .... only a 25 yd. drag. Happy New Year everybody!

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I used a 350 gr. Hornady FP, I have to guess at the velocity, but the Lyman manual says around 1650 FPS. I killed this doe on our property and I have mowed paths through it. The deer like them for travel routes and I like 'em for ease of access. It was a downhill drag. (thank goodness). I've got a 4 wheeler for uphill LOL. Like Broom_jm said it's extra neat when a project actually works out.

Top Bottom