410 Gauge AR-15 from American Tactical ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 410 Gauge Shotgun based AR-15

• Total voters

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Anyone see these yet? Know anything about them?

Anyone think this is a nifty idea?

SAFIRSILAH.jpg

As I understand it the lower is slightly modified to accept the 410 sized shell, but the company says you can mount ANY mil-spec upper on the lower, and the lower will accept mil-spec magazines. The claim is that if you buy one of these then you can use the 410 upper or ANY standard upper. But you can't mount the 410 upper onto a mil-spec lower because the mag well of a standard mil-spec lower is slightly smaller than these mag-wells so you wouldn't be able to insert the 410 magazine into a standard mil-spec lower. The are NOT selling uppers, only complete guns. Apparently the retail is in the mid-$900 range.

I'm very interested, I dunno why, but I am very interested!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I am not sure what niche a magazine fed semi-auto 410 fills. I suppose it exists, but I can't think of it. Now, for the sake of collecting "cool" stuff, it might be nice to have. It certainly is a novelty. If you are building a collection of EBRs then this might be a good addition.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I am not sure what niche a magazine fed semi-auto 410 fills.
    Strikes me that this would be a great rabbit, squirrel, raccoon or crow getter. Anything that is a pest in the garden would have a lot to worry about.

What I really like is that the lower will accept any upper. That gives a lot of versatility to the gun, seems like one of these guns, with other uppers would be a great addition to the gun safe? Uses standard AR-15 internal parts too, so you could modify it as desired, change the triggers, etc.

Depending on price I could find interest.
    Apparently roughly $950. So that puts it in line with other AR15s in the market that would be similarly configured. A bit more than the discount brands, but lower priced than the premium brands.

Supposedly shipping to dealers now via the distributors.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    If money were no object, sure id get one I am sure it would be fun to play with. As far as any practical purposes. If you could just buy their upper and slap it on any lower then I would give it a thumbs up. Also it looks to not accept .410 3" shells and that is about the only way a .410 seems to be worthy of any hunting applications. I hunted with a .410 years ago and if a squirrel was very high in the tree the standard shells didn't really seem adequate to knock them out...

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Strikes me that this would be a great rabbit, squirrel, raccoon or crow getter. Anything that is a pest in the garden would have a lot to worry about.

What I really like is that the lower will accept any upper. That gives a lot of versatility to the gun, seems like one of these guns, with other uppers would be a great addition to the gun safe? Uses standard AR-15 internal parts too, so you could modify it as desired, change the triggers, etc.

Apparently roughly $950. So that puts it in line with other AR15s in the market that would be similarly configured. A bit more than the discount brands, but lower priced than the premium brands.

Supposedly shipping to dealers now via the distributors.

Forget about raccoons and especially crows. Coons are very hard to kill, kinda like possum, and Crows are wary and have excellent vision, you'll never get close enough to a crow to use a .410. However I guess you could use slugs, I don't know. Like I said it would be fun to play with...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If you could just buy their upper and slap it on any lower then I would give it a thumbs up.
    Yup, if it fit any lower then I would like it even more. But it works in reverse of that. The LOWER will work with ANY other caliber upper, but not the other way around. If I was limited to 1 or 2 ARs, then this strikes me as a great choice. I've got plenty of lowers and would prefer to simply buy an upper, I may have to re-think that and sell off one of my lowers to justify this as an addition.

Chefcook said:
    Forget about raccoons and especially crows. Coons are very hard to kill
    Not the raccoons who frequent my yard. Easy to dispatch them with a shovel or a 22lr. My dogs have shredded quite a few of them too. I know people say that a raccoon will tear apart a full grown German Shepard dog, but my Akitas have literally torn them limb from limb without being injured on several occasions. I've also dispatched a couple with a garden shovel to the head and my little Ruger 10/22 has more than a couple chalked up and confirmed 1 shot kills. Crows, well that may be different issue at distance. Heck a 410 slug might be a handy little round to use on some critters too, at reasonable distances.

I have several on order! I have touched and felt, I really like.
    Demented minds think alike!

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Yup, if it fit any lower then I would like it even more. But it works in reverse of that. The LOWER will work with ANY other caliber upper, but not the other way around. If I was limited to 1 or 2 ARs, then this strikes me as a great choice. I've got plenty of lowers and would prefer to simply buy an upper, I may have to re-think that and sell off one of my lowers to justify this as an addition.

Not the raccoons who frequent my yard. Easy to dispatch them with a shovel or a 22lr. My dogs have shredded quite a few of them too. I know people say that a raccoon will tear apart a full grown German Shepard dog, but my Akitas have literally torn them limb from limb without being injured on several occasions. I've also dispatched a couple with a garden shovel to the head and my little Ruger 10/22 has more than a couple chalked up and confirmed 1 shot kills. Crows, well that may be different issue at distance. Heck a 410 slug might be a handy little round to use on some critters too, at reasonable distances.
    Demented minds think alike!

Like I said, I don't know. I used to dispatch Coon's with a .22 all the time when I had my trap line as a kid. My main concern here is range. The standard .410 even with 00 Buck ( 3 pcs. shot) Isn't all that effective past 50' or so. There are Siaga .410's out there and guys seem to buy them. I saw 2 at Bradis yesterday and they were $500+ so ya know, what the hell have at it I am sure they will be great fun if nothing else...

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I guess I see it as not terribly useful on shot, unless you have a 3" shell. Only 2.5" allowed here. So slugs seem to be the most likely use. I would prefer a .44 Mag over a .410 in that use. So I guess my Marlin Lever Gun wins for me. :D

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    cylinder bore or full choke?

I was wondering if the gun had a choke in it or was it cylinder bore? If it were full choke, it would extend the effective of range of shotshells greatly as opposed to a cylinder bore.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Terry

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    It is neat, but I don't have a use for it.

Now, if CMMG continues on their path with their new AR12 design, I AM IN ON THAT. (In fact, I would sell my Saiga12 in a New York minute to have one.)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    It's just a re-branding of the Turkish-built Safir T-14, which has been available in Europe for several years now.

Safirarms Industrial Co.

It uses a short-stroke gas piston that fits around the barrel:
    100-1971-11.jpg

I wonder what US-made parts it will feature in order to comply with 922(r)?

Now, if CMMG continues on their path with their new AR12 design, I AM IN ON THAT.

The thought of that gets me all hot and bothered, too, but I'm not holding my breath...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It's just a re-branding of the Turkish-built Safir T-14, which has been available in Europe for several years now.

Safirarms Industrial Co.

You know, I had no idea about these, but....

My first thought was America had improved the Saiga!!!!!!!!!!!

.410 Saiga vs the AT-14... Hmmm.... I LIKE IT!!!! I wanna see it in 20 and 12 aswell! Think 308 Lower and Modified Mags....

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I played with one at SHOT - although I was more interested in the magazines than anything else.

The lower accepted the Grendel and P-MAG I was carrying around without issue - I couldn't visibly see any difference to the lower receiver.

The .410 magazines dropped right into other "standard" lowers.

Those magazines have great potential for relatively straight walled cartridges in the AR.

I forsee the 500 BFG spitting BMG projectiles out of them shortly after they arrive.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I played with one at SHOT - although I was more interested in the magazines than anything else.

The lower accepted the Grendel and P-MAG I was carrying around without issue - I couldn't visibly see any difference to the lower receiver.

The .410 magazines dropped right into other "standard" lowers.

Those magazines have great potential for relatively straight walled cartridges in the AR.

I forsee the 500 BFG spitting BMG projectiles out of them shortly after they arrive.
    Bryan, when we met up last night did I mention that I hate you for the fact that you get to play with all the best toys before us mere mortals even get to see them ;)

Safirarms Industrial Co.
    Yes, American Tactical is the importer for Safirarms.

Top Bottom