• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • workinman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    NWI
    what is a popular powder used for .40? i load for .380, 9mm, .45, and others but have not loaded for 40SW yet. is there anything that needs to be done to .40 as far as loading compared to other calibers; crimp, seating depth, etc.?

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    If you can load the other calibers, you can load 40. There is nothing special about it. I use a Lee factory crimp die to add a light taper crimp. As far as powders go, you will have to experiment with what works well in your firearm. I use Bullseye, Unique, AA#2, and Power Pistol as well as some others. I prefer a small pistol magnum primer when working with this caliber, but that is purely my choice.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Titegroup is pretty popular among jacket bullet shooters and Solo 1000 is pretty popular with cast lead / moly coated lead shooters.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have really been liking Longshot in my high pressure rounds I have used it with great results in .40, 357 mag and 10mm

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Stay away from Accurate No. 5...far, far, away. Make sure there isn't any in your house when you reload 40S&W...better yet clear the entire block. Why? This is why...that was my USP and my hands...pre-stitches. At the time Accurate #5 was a recommended powder. The gun had 29 rounds through it.

uspblowup.jpg

You can read the article written by Frank James here... http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/tapioca.html

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I really like Solo 1000, but there are lots of good powders for 40. Titegroup, W231/HP-38, and WST are some other good choices.

Generally, faster-burning powders will yield less recoil, but will operate at higher pressures, so you won't get as much velocity at safe pressure levels. So if you're looking at producing lighter-powered range ammo, a fast burning powder like Solo 1000 or Titegroup will probably be the best choice. If you want loads with factory or higher velocity, go with a slower burning powder like Power Pistol or Longshot.

Bullet composition needs to be factored into your decision too. If you're shooting lead or moly-coated bullets, single based powders like WST or Solo 1000 are preferable. Double-based powders (like titegroup or Clays) contain nitroglycerin. They are generally more economical than single-based powders, but produce more heat and can burn the base on a lead/moly bullet, causing smoke and possibly leading. So if you're planning on shooting jacketed, Titegroup is probably a good choice.

workinman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    NWI
    damn detonics!! no i don't have #5accurate anyway. sorry bout the hand and the gun. I've got the same in .45. having all your digits still is definitely a plus!!!!

mhs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I like n340 for 40 cal. I almost blew up a .45acp using AA5, and don't use it anymore.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Came close to trying Accurate # 5 a few months back. Had gotten low on Unique and just about bought some to try. Have always liked the results I have gotten with Unique for cast loads, and use Blue Dot for heavier loads. I'm sure there are better choices out there for just the .40, but with the other calibers I load, those seem to be a pretty good all around choice.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Been using W231 for all my pistol calibers. I have had great groups, and with the loads Im using, it would be very hard to double charge.

W231 may be a little dirtier than others but, I haven't experimented

mhs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Been using W231 for all my pistol calibers. I have had great groups, and with the loads Im using, it would be very hard to double charge.

W231 may be a little dirtier than others but, I haven't experimented

I use 231 for .45acp, mild .44mag, and .45 Colt. I haven't had good results with it in .40.

Top Bottom