• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Recently inherited a revolver my grandfather owned and carried for longer than I have been alive (~30 years) according to my father. I would like to carry this from time to time, to have the same protection my grandfather did and to keep something that was special to him with me. It is a S&W Mod 36, 38spl 5 shot. pretty good condition for being carried for so many years IMO.

My question is this, can a standard 38SPL revolver handle +P loads? I have read and done lots of research and have found results that talk about post WWII steel being higher quality, older 38SPL loads being hotter than current factory loads and more of an +P anyway, "dont do it", " go for it", "S&W can handle the pressure", etc etc.
    Is there anyone that can direct me to some solid evidence and realistic explanation of what it is capable of firing? any leads of good information would be appreciated!

419658_10200376896241900_1424405333_n.jpg

321491_10200376895601884_1608380172_n.jpg

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Unless marked so on the gun somewhere, I wouldn't shoot +p out of an antique like that. With some of the newer short barrel SD rounds available, why risk it?

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Unless marked so on the gun somewhere, I wouldn't shoot +p out of an antique like that. With some of the newer short barrel SD rounds available, why risk it?

My plan is for it to be THE safe queen. If i ever do carry it, I want to know that I have a quality round and would never risk damaging grandpas baby! any recommendations to for a short barrel SD load in 38?

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My plan is for it to be THE safe queen. If i ever do carry it, I want to know that I have a quality round and would never risk damaging grandpas baby! any recommendations to for a short barrel SD load in 38?

Buffalo Bore .38 Special non-+P 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter hollow points (the classic "Chicago load" or "FBI load"). (Make sure you get the non-+P. Buffalo Bore also makes this in +P.) If those don't do the job, you're in the wrong place! :rockwoot:

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Buy a box or 2 of +P, shoot till you know your point of impact, then keep the rest for carry. If you are going to shoot a lot I would recommend reg 38 Special.

You could damage it with a steady diet of +P. If you did that it would take awhile to harm it, you would notice the end shake start to get worse.

Very nice, leave it alone, put it back in the safe buy a new S&W that you wont have to worry about scratching.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW........
    I had a Model 60 no dash, shot +P off and on, carried it with that stuff in it. No problems.
    A gun bud blasted a ton of +P through his no dash M60 as well, for years. He said he didn't care if it messed it up- which it never did.

Some folks report problems with a steady diet of +P. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I always wondered about "ammo problems"............if somebody had some way out of whack loads.

Is a steady diet of +P comparable to 2 or 3 improper and near kaboom loads? What about somebody shooting a couple cylinders of bad ammo, or more?

What is legal speak and warranty talk, may differ from reality.

Or maybe not.

I'd call Smith and see what they have to say, and take it with a grain of salt :)

I broke a 629 trigger pivot with a couple cylinders of 300 grainers. Non endurance package gun, Smith fixed it fast (for $5). After that I decided 240 grainers max'd out was the hottest I'd run in a non endurance package .44 Smith.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    J frames

Have carried & shot J frames since the early 70's..have shot thousands of rounds thru an assortment of J frames over the years...you would be wise not to shoot a quanity of high pressure loads (+P) through your J frame..I attended the Smtih & Wesson police armorer's school back in the 80's and they said that yes the J could shoot + P's....but they did not recommend a steady diet of them..so yes you can shoot +P's but in moderation, and as you indicated this gun is going to be a "safe queen" so there really is no issue...Over the past several decades, I settled on the Speer 135gr JHP + P load that is specifically loaded for short barrel revolvers - wife carries a J frame daily and that is the load she carries also.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Nice old piece, even though it is a pinned barrel, I would not want to shake it loose with a diet of high pressure rounds. I have an old blued one that is not that pretty, the years of carrying it in a sweaty ankle holster was pretty rough on the bluing, but it still shoots fine. I just stay with regular pressure .38 spl loads when I shoot it.

It is kind of difficult to find JHP defensive rounds in regular pressure.
    Remington UMC still makes some JHP 125 gr standard pressure rounds in boxes of 50. They are not the overpriced "personal protection" loads that cost more for 20 than a box of 50 should cost.

Enjoy that old chief special.

model60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    A great older gun, carry it proudly...practice with 130 gr. FMJ, check POA against Hornady 125 gr. XTP. I see you already have a speed loader, get a SM Frame Galco holster with thumb break; a very comfortable carry.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Very nice gun. I used to carry a 640 38 sp non +p. I did a bunch of research back then and it appeared that they added a little reinforcement to the frame just below the rear lowest part of the cylinder to make the +p guns. Either way, the consensus was that unless you were running a bunch through it, there wouldn't be any problem.

I personally recommend the speer 135 grn +P gold dots. They use a specific powder blend designed specifically for 2 inch barrel revolvers.

Best,

Joe

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    If you look at reloaders data Ive seen standard .38 spl
    125 grain bullets over 1000 feet per second as a std load.

The Remington Golden Saber .38 spl +p is rated at 975 fps.

I have those in my 1979 Rossi Stainess steel 38 snubbie.

Ive fired 10 threw it with out issue but I wouldnt shoot a bunch.

Some of the 38 spl +p's are much more powerfull, Id stay away
    from those.

Jimmy

Top Bottom