• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    If your question is curiosity I get it. If you are considering shooting the obsolete 375 in a 38-55 I gotta wonder why. 38-55 is more available than 375 and a good chambering for the Midwest. If you have a load of 375, sell it on gunbroker or the like and fund proper ammo.

acmetruck1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2021
    Schneider
    If your question is curiosity I get it. If you are considering shooting the obsolete 375 in a 38-55 I gotta wonder why. 38-55 is more available than 375 and a good chambering for the Midwest. If you have a load of 375, sell it on gunbroker or the like and fund proper ammo.
    Yeah, just an ignorant question. So basically a .38 special vs .357 mag situation except without the size difference

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    No such thing as an ignorant/dumb question. That's how you learn. Exterior case dimensions for .38/.357 are basically the same except for length. Not so with 38/55 375. Completely different dimensions. Length, width and taper are totally different along with totally different bullet diameter. Hundreds and thousands of an inch make a big difference just like a combustion engine and other associated type gearing.

Last edited:

acmetruck1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2021
    Schneider
    No such thing as an ignorant/dumb question. That's how you learn. Exterior case dimensions for .38/.357 are basically the same except for length. Not so with 38/55 375. Completely different dimensions. Length, width and taper are totally different along with totally different bullet diameter. Hundreds and thousands of an inch make a big difference just like a combustion engine and other associated type gearing.
    Ok, so ZERO interchangeability. I’m looking for a good vintage hunting caliber other than 45-70.
    Was thinking 38-55 but then I read that the 375 was better and somehow got the idea that they were more similar. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate the info you Jedi masters share!

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    341   0   1
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Ok, so ZERO interchangeability. I’m looking for a good vintage hunting caliber other than 45-70.
    Was thinking 38-55 but then I read that the 375 was better and somehow got the idea that they were more similar. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate the info you Jedi masters share!

38-55 is an awesome caliber. You'll never go wrong with it. If you're in the least bit recoil sensitive, take the 38-55 over the 45-70 all day long.

Top Bottom