• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Would you fill under guned if all you could carry as your CCW was a .32 S&W Long loaded with a lead 110 gr RNFP or a .32 ACP loaded with 98 gr RNFP? Either gun made of modern steel and the .32 ACP a locked breech design. Have you ever carried or used a .32? Arthritis in the hands will make you love the .32 even though you would rather have a 9mm through a .45!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    I have a 32 s&w long pistol. I load with 100gr projectiles. I love the way that gun shoots. It one of my favorite guns.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Would you fill under guned if all you could carry as your CCW was a .32 S&W Long loaded with a lead 110 gr RNFP or a .32 ACP loaded with 98 gr RNFP? Either gun made of modern steel and the .32 ACP a locked breech design. Have you ever carried or used a .32? Arthritis in the hands will make you love the .32 even though you would rather have a 9mm through a .45!
    Since you reload you can play around with your 9mm and 45acp by reducing the loads for your 9mm and 45acp.
    What you do is get a load that is soft shooting in your gun. If it isn't cycling I believe you should be able to reduce recoil spring weight to help it cycle.
    This way you can still use your 9mm and 45acp.

I did something similar to my father's 1911. He couldn't rack the slide anymore. So I put a light recoil spring in it and made some very light shooting 230gr RN for him to use.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Depends what the effect of the arthritis is. If it's racking the slide, a 38 snub would probably be better than any 32. If it's recoil, then I guess take your pick of the smaller guns. (I'm not aware of any locked-breech 32).

Realistically, with all the "lite-rack" autos in 380 and 9mm, and revolvers chambered in better calibers than 32 long, I cannot see any advantage whatsoever in any 32. Size, yes, but not sure about arthritis. If I couldn't handle either racking a conventional slide _or_ recoil, it seems a lite-rack 380 would be a better choice than any 32.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Eh. Not optimal, I'd go with FMJ only, but at the end of the day anything that can hole punch a human sternum or skull is viable. Graveyards in Europe are full of dudes put there by 32ACP.

It's a helluva lot better than trying to hack someone to death with my Benchmade or brain them with a rock.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Depends what the effect of the arthritis is. If it's racking the slide, a 38 snub would probably be better than any 32. If it's recoil, then I guess take your pick of the smaller guns. (I'm not aware of any locked-breech 32).

Realistically, with all the "lite-rack" autos in 380 and 9mm, and revolvers chambered in better calibers than 32 long, I cannot see any advantage whatsoever in any 32. Size, yes, but not sure about arthritis. If I couldn't handle either racking a conventional slide _or_ recoil, it seems a lite-rack 380 would be a better choice than any 32.
    Ruger Security 380 is light rack, and 15rd magazine. It also is the size of a P365

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I regularly carry a Keltec P32. I feel adequately armed with 6+1 and two spare 6-round mag of FIOCCHI 73gr FMJ. My P32 is over 20 years old, and has fired over 1000 rounds w/o a single issue. As you must be well aware, 32ACP is a low-power cartridge. No available round will give you both expansion, and penetration. That makes penetration paramount. A 98gr RNFP round out of a 2.7" P32 would be moving very slowly; 98gr is EXTREMELY heavy for caliber in .32ACP. Combine low velocity and a Flat Nose, I doubt you'd get adequate self-defense penetration. That may be an decent SD round out of a 4" barrel. I wouldn't carry it in my P32 without thorough testing. Here is some test data for .32ACP SD ammuntion. Note the weight of these bullets.

Your comment about arthritic hands prompts this response. I shoot a Kahr CM9 and a Sig P365, both small(er), light(er) 9mm pistols, and a Glock 21 - a full size .45ACP, and of course my Keltec P32. At 6oz, the P32 is most certainly the lightest of the bunch. That small size and light weight means it is modestly difficult to control. The DAO trigger does NOT help controlability. You'll need a really firm grip, and good dexterity with your trigger finger to get good hits with a P32, or any similar size gun. Caliber is not the only consideration for shootability.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Most of the comments make me think they have not shot the .32 or very little.
    In a 1903 Colt Hammerless it is almost like shooting a .22. Most people will shoot the .32 better than the .380. Loaded with Buffalo Bore Ammo or reloads in that range, it will get the job done. During WWII the OSS used a lot of .32's as that is what the enemy used, they shot reloads with 90-100 gr lead, hot loaded.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I have PMC 71gr JHP's on both my p32's, I've never done any kind of expansion tests, but they go boom, and hit where I'm aiming......It's just a means to get to a bigger gun, or rifle....
    I would test them. At least in a gallon milk jug filled with water. IF they are expanding, they are NOT penetrating sufficiently to be an effective defensive round. The benefit of FMJ in this diminutive caliber is that it does NOT expand, which makes it able to PENETRATE deeply enough to do encounter-ending damage. The P32 barrel is just too short (2.7") to provide for sufficient velocity for the projectile to EXPAND and PENETRATE. If you can only have one, go for penetration.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    32 auto is adequate, not ideal. Of the three sub calibers for carry (22lr, 25 auto, 32 auto) 32 is my favorite. I've carried and extensively shot all three. It has the best reliability, best penetration, and second best cost of the three. So long as you can hit the right part of the target its okay. I also liked how low recoil 32 auto was in my Kel Tec P32.

That being said I still prefer 380 if we are talking pocket guns, but with arthritis.... 380 may be too much depending.

A Beretta tomcat 32 would probably be my first pick for people with dexterity issues.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I believe that back in the day the .32 S&W Long with wadcutters would cut an nice hole, and were considered an acceptable self-defense

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    As others have said, it would be better than nothing and more reliable than a rimfire like a 22. I personally would take a .380 over 32. If racking the slide of a .380 is difficult, I personally would go with a 38 Special.

Top Bottom