• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I finally got all the pieces together to breath life back into my 115 year old H&R top break revolver in .32 Smith & Wesson.

I had ordered brass and a double cavity bullet mold shortly after I bought the revolver and the die set came in from England a few days ago.

I cast a hundred 77 grain round nose bullets from soft lead and tumble lubed them in Alox. I loaded six rounds over a mild charge of Unique. After test firing,, I determined that they needed a bit more crimp.

The next twelve rounds shot better on paper and sounded better. According to the load data, they should be running right at 700 fps but I did not drag the chronograph out.

The trigger on this revolver was obviously made before firearms manufacturers were concerned about liability litigation. The double action is smooth and very manageable and the single action is crisp and light. Even with the rudimentary sights, the trigger lent itself to some nice groups.

My best six shot group, fired double action, off-hand, at seven yards, measured an inch and three quarters. Most hovered in the two, two and a half inch range.

In the spirit of reviving this vintage piece, I cleaned it up with my bottle of Hoppes No. 9 and some cotton patches. 20210221_175453.jpg

Last edited:

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    That is awesome! Thanks for sharing the story. I am a fan of .32 cal handguns. I do not have any old or classic models, just current ones in .327mag that I run the older rounds thru.
    I am thinking a 5 or 6 inch barrel, Iver Johnson 3rd Model Safety revolver in .38 Smith and Wesson may be in my future, if I can locate one in shooting condition that wouldn't break the bank.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    32 m are addictive you can reload them as cheaply as a 22 cal .These are a bit newer
    Nbc3bAa.jpg

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    .32 is one of my favorites. I have the same model H&R, but it has issues rotating the cylinder reliably. The ratcheting teeth on the back of the cylinder are worn.

I wish someone would make a break-top in .32mag.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I'd love to have some of those old break tops...neat guns! Could a .32 acp be safely fired from one of those? I know it's higher pressure than the old .32's, but they seem pretty well built....

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    I have shot .32 acp in my .32H&R mag revolvers, but I have not in my old H&R or Iver Johnson .32 "shorts". They seem like cheap pocket revolvers to me, and mine are heavily worn with pitted barrels from the old corrosive powder days.

It's a really neat design, but the split frame lockup isn't the strongest. That may very well be why I have not found one in H&R mag. Maybe if they went with the larger frame.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    32 m are addictive you can reload them as cheaply as a 22 cal .These are a bit newer
    Nbc3bAa.jpg
    That is a beautiful collection. I used to explain to people I load the .32 for under .10 a round and they would not believe it. Even when I did the math, they would not believe it. Hopefully prices and supplies will come down to "normal" and we can get there again. It is still a bargain cartridge if you load your own.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I'd love to have some of those old break tops...neat guns! Could a .32 acp be safely fired from one of those? I know it's higher pressure than the old .32's, but they seem pretty well built....
    No, that is not safe at all. The 32 ACP runs almost double the pressure of 32 S&W.

For reference:
    32 S&W - 12,000 psi max
    32 S&W Long - 15,000 psi max
    32 ACP - 20,500 psi max
    32 H&R Mag - 21,000 psi max
    327 Federal - 45,000 psi max

Top Bottom