• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    which is a better round i got a .308 and it is a tack driver at 520 yard that is the farthest i have shot it and i just bought a .22-250 of a member here and have not shot it yet. but trying to get some opinions on what caliber is a better long rang gun.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    ...what are you trying to do with it? Something like 6.5 x 284 Norma is going to be better then either for paper punching at long distances...[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I think your question is a good one and the question is 308 or 22250 lets stick to that, Well I went through that very same question about 10 years ago I had both guns on the shelf, What I did is start looking at long range performance and when I came down to it the 308 won, I worked up a load for the 125 Bt 30 cal bullets that shoot well under an inch and also a 155 gr load that shoots well, I went with a 308 with a 12 twist now that limits you to the heaviest bullet you "should" shoot is a 168 but I planned on a light bullet gun, The only ground hog that I've shot in the last 20 years was with the 125 bt and just over 200yd and it was devastating on the body the little fella, a 22250 would not have made any more of a mess and if you run balistic charts on a 22250 and the 308 with the 125 you'll find out that they almost fall on top of each other until past 400 where the 308 retains a bit more velocity. Before put the 12 twist barrel on my 308 I had the factory 10 and it shot the 125's as well as it shot any other weight, I was mainly interested in 155 palma's
    I've worked up some 168 loads with the old barrel and the new and I found that the 308 was a mild manored predicatble gun. My 22250 that I had was also an even tempered gun that shot all loads with an acceptible level, One of the things that I didn't like about the 22250 was there was a bit harsher level of blast vs my 308 not that either one was not painfully noisy.

In my experience the 308 will do a bigger range of jobs than the 22250, Since the 125's came out it really gave the 308 a range of bullets that is hard to beat. I tried teh 110's but they were not as accurate as the 125's,

Thats my 2 cents I tend to stay to a well know caliber so that if I get in a pinch (this was before OsBama) you could stop buy and pick up something to shoot, so I wouldn't be one to tout a wildcat or new design,

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    ya i shoot the 168 BTHPs out of my .308 and at 100 we just have one rugged hole. but 520 i say i average about a 5" group. but i have it sighted in at 100yrd since that is going to be your main shot i got 1/8 inch adjustments on my scope and i have to go up 112 clicks to be on target at 520. and if you don guess your yardage pretty close (which can be deciving farther out you go) seem like you shoot high or low every time. and trying to calculate wind and make a perfect shot on the first round is little much for me ( i got a lot of respect for the spotters for a sniper)
    when i shoot targets they dont move so i shoot one round and i may have to add 3 or 4 clicks left or right to be right on. cant do that with a ground hog.
    so i figured i would by a 22-250 and see how that does if i dont like it you boy may see it on here for sale or trade.

Top Bottom