• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Responded on another thread, but thought I would go ahead and just create a new one...

I am wanting another 308 battle rifle.

Have had a LMT MWS and a SCAR 17...but sold both of them.

Now thinking about a B&T APC308. I have 4 other B&Ts including an APC223.

Also thinking about a Daniel Defense DD5v3.

Open to others. Not really into classics per say. Just want a reliable battle tested gun.

What is the real world experience out there in INGO land say?

I want something fairly light.
    Already have my heavy long range bolt gun, so this would be the mid range use on the go gun.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    What'd you sell the others for and what are you looking for in a new one?

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    What'd you sell the others for and what are you looking for in a new one?

Sold them at the time to fund other guns.

LMT was a pig, but a nice shooting pig, lol. It had a big quad rail that I would prefer to see a smaller Mlok style rail.

Nothing really wrong with the SCAR.

I am looking for something along the lines of the SCAR for maneuverability, but not so proprietary.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Sold them at the time to fund other guns.

LMT was a pig, but a nice shooting pig, lol. It had a big quad rail that I would prefer to see a smaller Mlok style rail.

Nothing really wrong with the SCAR.

I am looking for something along the lines of the SCAR for maneuverability, but not so proprietary.
    AR style: POF Revolution if you have a fat budget and want a full piston, small frame .308 AR. Ruger SFAR for a somewhat adjustable, very light, DI .308 AR. Palmetto just released a .308 Sabre that is basically the M110 at home, but it's probably in the pig category. I don't know a whole lot about the DDM5, but it appears to be a large from AR10 and I'm not impressed with the gas block. With the variability of ammo, barrel lengths, and suppressors out there, I want a large click adjust gas system with a wide range of settings.

Non AR style: The APC308 looks cool but I don't know anything about it. Out of the box suggestion, Tavor 7? It's a nine pound pig but bullpup makes the weight carry different. RFB .308 is another total schizo bullpup possibility.

Even with the uneven reliability some people have reported, it's really hard to beat the SFAR on weight and cost in the AR10 world right now. It's kind of a dream come true for a AR10 that you can actually carry around, and I think it's worth putting in the effort to make sure you get a good one that runs properly.

There is some speculation that PSA will put out a JAKL in .308, but the 5.56 gun is already kind of a pig so it's not gonna have that crazy light handling of the SCAR.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Best .308 rifle I've ever seen, handled, or fired was one built.
    Unfortunately, my dumb ass traded it off quit some time ago, and it's one I'd dearly love to have back.
    AR style on an Aero receiver set with a 14" BA Hanson barrel, pin & welded Surefire SOCOM muzzle brake to keep it legal. A PA 1-8 LPVO, & Surefire scout light finished it off. My favorite Midwest Ind handguards made it trim rather than bulky.
    It was short, handy, and light as a .308 could get, and shot very well.

.308 on pack.JPG

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Well...at this point I have narrowed it down to a Daniel Defense DD5v3 or go while hog and get a Knights SR-25 APC.

DD5V3 gets decent reviews...but it is not a Knights....but it also does not cost 3x...

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I would go Daniel Defence myself , honestly don't think Knights is worth the premium myself. Now this is just my opinion, but 308 battle rifles don't make sense anymore IMHO. If I were to get one I would go full retro and get a DSA FAL with an optics rail.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I would go Daniel Defence myself , honestly don't think Knights is worth the premium myself. Now this is just my opinion, but 308 battle rifles don't make sense anymore IMHO. If I were to get one I would go full retro and get a DSA FAL with an optics rail.

FALs sound like a great idea, until you need magazines, or need to mount an optic... or need to mount anything else.

Then they become more expensive in the long haul than if you had just got the knight's in the first place, and had a lot less headaches trying to outbid the next guy for that part you need to make the rifle useable. Oh oops looks like that part was mislabeled as metric rather than inch.

Not to mention that value isn't going anywhere, it's not like you're buying a consumable good. The market has made the AR10 platform nearly as ubiquitous as the AR15, so it's infinitely less headaches if you just go with the grain.
    KAC is worth it, unless you have to go into debt for it, it is not worth going into debt for.

A SCAR-17 is also a fantastic service firearm, and I can attest to that as my buddy's has 57,000 rounds of ammunition through his without any parts breakages.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    FALs sound like a great idea, until you need magazines, or need to mount an optic... or need to mount anything else.

Then they become more expensive in the long haul than if you had just got the knight's in the first place, and had a lot less headaches trying to outbid the next guy for that part you need to make the rifle useable. Oh oops looks like that part was mislabeled as metric rather than inch.

Not to mention that value isn't going anywhere, it's not like you're buying a consumable good. The market has made the AR10 platform nearly as ubiquitous as the AR15, so it's infinitely less headaches if you just go with the grain.
    KAC is worth it, unless you have to go into debt for it, it is not worth going into debt for.

A SCAR-17 is also a fantastic service firearm, and I can attest to that as my buddy's has 57,000 rounds of ammunition through his without any parts breakages.

I would get something like this and paint it in Rhodesian camo myself. Minus very few rare exceptions I also always assume you loose cash on a firearm they are generally depreciating assets.

TBH if I were to go the battle rifle route I would wait a few years for the Army to work out their new high pressure ammo and run with that. The whole point of a battle rifle to me is range, and barrier / armor penetration.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Well...at this point I have narrowed it down to a Daniel Defense DD5v3 or go while hog and get a Knights SR-25 APC.

DD5V3 gets decent reviews...but it is not a Knights....but it also does not cost 3x...
    I have a DD5 in .260. It's a nice rifle, not quite as heavy as most AR10 size rifles but definitely no lightweight either. Plan on replacing the trigger as a first step.

If light weight is important, then the Zastava M77 is on of the lightest semi auto .308s I've handled. They seem pretty well built but mags aren't exactly cheap. As mentioned the Tavor 7 carries much lighter than it is. Along the same lines but significantly lighter, the Desert Tech is another option. I'm hoping the Bren 2 in 7.62x51 eventually makes it to the US as it looks like another good option.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Like most things in life, everything has their pros and cons.
    For me, the M1A is the most enjoyable one to shoot at the range.
    I think my DD5 is v1 maybe? Any way, it was an expensive single shot when I first got it, had to send it back to DD, runs fine now. Obviously this would be the modern choice with all the accessories of any other AR type rifle. I may bite the bullet and try to get a KAC to replace it at some point.
    The FAL is a cool gun to own.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I'm partial to the AR-10 platform so I vote the DD. I have a Springfield Saint Victor, I don't take it out too much so can't attest to hard use performance, but it is pleasant to shoot. I think the ease of optics and accessorizing really helps the AR-10's popularity.

Top Bottom