• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • movevio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    i have recently realized that i need one. i am partial to RRA but am willing to listen to any input on all makes. any info is appreciated

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I've heard a bit of grumbling about the RRA and the Armalite, but I've never dealt with one.
    I've been looking at the LMT .308 MWS for a long time. It's high priced, too high for me.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Depends on how much you are willing to spend. I have a DPMS and a POF.Both use the Pmags as does LMT,KAC,OBR,LWRC & and some I am forgetting. The only reason I did not give the RRA a harder look is because of it not useing the somewhat standard mags of most others.

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    This probably doesn't help but I was in the same dilemma not to long ago. Looked at all kinds of .308 AR's. long story short***I ended up taking home a Springfield SOCOM and am very happy.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    DO NOT BUY A BUILT RIFLE!!!

Save money, do it right and build your own! There are plenty of folks here on INGO that can help you build if you want to do it yourself.

I used a MEGA Upper/Lower.... Read the Review... its worth it.

Build details
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/121147-help_choose_parts_for_my_ar_10_build.html

Mega Receivers
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/120712-mega_ma_ten_308_upper_lower.html

Range Report
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ete_w_range_report_pic_heavy.html#post1769087

IMG_4057.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    DO NOT BUY A BUILT RIFLE!!!

Save money, do it right and build your own! There are plenty of folks here on INGO that can help you build if you want to do it yourself.

I used a MEGA Upper/Lower.... Read the Review... its worth it.

from the research i did i could not find any savings in not buying a complete gun. 308 ar parts are expensive.

my plan was to buy the cheapest factory rifle i could find. (900ish) keep the upper, lower, lpk, and, bcg. sell the rest and buy the parts i wanted.

just buying a lower, lpk, upper, bcg will run roughly 800ish. im sure i could sell the extras from the factory gun i bought i could get over 100 bucks. plus i would still be building the gun the way i wanted it not the way a factory thinks most folks want it.

got to remember ars are adult legos

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I want another one myself...I can see both sides of the debate. If I were to buy a factory one it would be either an Armalite SASS or a Les Baer. I know they are more expensive than most, but if someone garuntees 1/2 MOA out of a semi-auto, that's pretty hard to beat.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I am on my second DPMS 308B (18" heavy barrel). The first one I didn't have long before we found out we were going to have our first child so I sold it to free up some cash. That rifle with a timney trigger shot under 1/2" at 100 yards using either federal GMM, or black hills. The other ammo shot just over 1/2" at 100 yards. Broke my heart to sell the rifle but I had to do what I had to do for family.

Years later I corrected that sale by purchasing another 308B, but this time I got the stock upgraded to a 6 position, put in a RRA two stage trigger, and an A3 upper with the dust cover. Feeding it the same ammo as the other it shoots just shy of 1/2" at 100 yards. This rifle did have a tight chamber that required some breaking in before smoothing out, but it's just fine now.

The DPMS rifles aren't perfect, but they also aren't priced to be perfect. If you want an affordable tack driver I'd at least consider the 308B. Nice thing about the DPMS is that the Pmags are available for it at $20 a piece. I like knowing that their 308 platform is using the new industry standard in magazines.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had a custom DPMS 308 with a Mike Rck heavy Barrel. Very accurate. I had some issues with specific ammo not feeding properly.

I now have a POF-USA 308 20" (Pic below) Very reliable, very clean operation, extremely accurate when I do my part correctly. Loves Fed 168, fairly accurate with 150 ammo. (I shoot it out to 700 or so right now)

picture.php

picture.php

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I want another one myself...I can see both sides of the debate. If I were to buy a factory one it would be either an Armalite SASS or a Les Baer. I know they are more expensive than most, but if someone garuntees 1/2 MOA out of a semi-auto, that's pretty hard to beat.

Most of those DPMS rifle shoot at least 1 MOA out of the box. Save a grand and get a better scope. Furthermore, I know you watched a 16" DPMS ring steel at 700 10/11.

I'd get the base rifle and IF you needed it to be more accurate I'd send it to G.A.P.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I should have mentioned that my rifle is very consistent out to 800 yards using 168gr handloaded copied as closely to federal GMM as I could get. I have made hits on the 1000 yards steel with mine, but that was more luck than anything else because the rounds had gone subsonic after 800 yards.

IMAG0397.jpg

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    The LWRC REPR in a 18" or 20" does suck either.........all though expensive. My buddy has a DPMS SASS are I can hit a sniper ball out 300 yards with it. Please keep in mind that I am green to anything over 150-200yrds. It seems like a great value for the money.

Top Bottom