• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I'm starting to plan for next deer season, and I think my son will be ready to hunt with my. He will be almost 10 and is a great shot with his .22 already with open sights. My issue is that currently I only have a 7mm-08, a 12 guage, and a muzzeloader for deer and my son is way way on the small side for his age.

So I am narrowing my options down to a 300 blackout, 6.5 grendel, or a .44 magnum lever gun. I have been leaning towards the 300 blackout since I have a lower ready anyway and I could put a suppressor on it since he doesn't care for loud noises even with ear muffs on. I also like the 6.5 Grendel because eventually he could reach out farther as his confidence builds. The .44 magnum is on the list just because it seems like the standard first deer rifle around here and I've always wanted to add a lever gun to my collection anyway.

Any thought on these or are there any others I should be looking at?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    6.5 grendel.

Very accurate. Little to no recoil. Better ballistics than the 300 blackout.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    My vote would be for .300 BO in a pistol config. As you say, you already have a lower.

My 17 year old has scored a buck in '15, '19, '20, and '21 all with the same .300 BO.

YMMV. :ingo:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Mine is a tack driver with 123sst. The 90 grain tnt isn't as accurate but still moa and a lot less expensive. The downside is that they only make them in batches one or two times a year, so buy them when you see them. I've taken a coyote at 400 yards and 650 yards. It's my second favorite round.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you get the barrel I suggested (or any other), check the extractor. I never had any issues with hornady ammo, but I ran into intermittent problems with federal brass. It was a quick fix and eliminated the problem.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Should be fine. I run a 20" rifle length gas upper on my standard lower. I went that route thinking it would shoot softer. Probably going to get a 16" mid length in the future. Depending on range you want to shoot, don't lose a lot and it's lighter & more handy in the field IMO.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Should be fine. I run a 20" rifle length gas upper on my standard lower. I went that route thinking it would shoot softer. Probably going to get a 16" mid length in the future. Depending on range you want to shoot, don't lose a lot and it's lighter & more handy in the field IMO.

I have one in my 6mm creedmoor, and it is the softest shooting gun I have.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    This is the upper I am thinking about getting if I go the 6.5 route.
    https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/ca...traight-fluted-rc-bur-nrail-spiral-flash.html
    6.5 is what I'd go with. I've had issues with 300 bo ammo reliably working in uppers before, and I think 44 mag would be a decent recoil for a 10 YO.

I'm sure it's not the norm, but save your bear creek receipt. I bought a 20 inch upper in 2019 for that hunting season. Didn't wind up taking a shot other than 5-10 rounds to sight in.

Sighting in for this year was incredibly inconsistent. Come to find out bear creek knew there were huge production issues with the barrels on this caliber about that time. Long story short I gave them a terrible review on google and would up getting a gift certificate from them for the value of the barrel (not the entire upper, just the barrel).

So just make sure you test it a lot before hunting season comes and your son winds up missing by 8 inches.

I happened on an upper made by Aero and have had zero issues. I also spent some money on a nicer odin works setup this year. Haven't shot it yet.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I run a 20" barrel rifle length gas system.

Hornady 123gr SST for deer they are very accurate. They shoot right around 1 moa at 100yds consistently.

Less than moa at 100yds. 0.734" 5 shot group is my best so far with Hornady Black 123gr ELD Match.

Top Bottom