• 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County

A little over a buck a round
    that website looks shady...have you used it before?

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I'm starting to plan for next deer season, and I think my son will be ready to hunt with my. He will be almost 10 and is a great shot with his .22 already with open sights. My issue is that currently I only have a 7mm-08, a 12 guage, and a muzzeloader for deer and my son is way way on the small side for his age.

So I am narrowing my options down to a 300 blackout, 6.5 grendel, or a .44 magnum lever gun. I have been leaning towards the 300 blackout since I have a lower ready anyway and I could put a suppressor on it since he doesn't care for loud noises even with ear muffs on. I also like the 6.5 Grendel because eventually he could reach out farther as his confidence builds. The .44 magnum is on the list just because it seems like the standard first deer rifle around here and I've always wanted to add a lever gun to my collection anyway.

Any thought on these or are there any others I should be looking at?
    I would also go for the 6.5 Grendel! I built one for one for myself with a BCA upper, then for of my sons (in his 50's), same upper. His wife loved it so much I built one for her. Extremely accurate round, She has killed several predators (killing chickens on their rural home), at 50 to 100 yards. It has very little recoil, fairly low noise compared to the 44 mag. Don't have any experience with the 300 blackout but know the Grendel has far greater accuracy and range.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I vote .44 Mag lever gun. I have a few Marlin 1894s, and they are some of the best handling rifles I've ever shot. And it's a much more interesting gun than an AR...especially a budget AR. ARs aren't the answer to everything...especially hunting where it's all about accurate first shots rather than capacity and firepower.

I had a 16" 6.5 Grendel AR that I built, with the intent of using it for deer, but never ended up getting to go. It originally had a BCA barrel on it, because it was cheap, and that thing was a piece of crap. Like someone else said, I could sometimes get it around 2 MOA cold bore, but once it heated up it was all over the place. I ended up spending a couple hundred bucks to replace that barrel with a Faxon, which brought the gun down to around 1moa, maybe a little over. Ultimately, I decided that there was nothing I could do to paper with it inside of 200 yards (max distance at my range) that I couldn't do with .223, and with .223 I don't have to worry about hard to find components and expensive brass that gets lost or chewed up by your AR at an alarming rate. I sold the gun and put the proceeds towards another CMP Garand. Don't regret that decision one bit...except it would have been cheaper to just buy the Garand first.

6.5 Grendel also loses a lot with the shorter barrel. I think I could enjoy one with a long, rifle-length match barrel and quality parts of I had the space to stretch it out. But the 16" build in my environment just didn't make any sense.

A .44 lever gun will get the job done while being a classic piece that your kid will appreciate the rest of his life. A BCA 6.5 Grendel will be just another cheap AR that looks and handles like every other AR, and shoots a difficult to source and expensive caliber.

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    I vote .44 Mag lever gun. I have a few Marlin 1894s, and they are some of the best handling rifles I've ever shot. And it's a much more interesting gun than an AR...especially a budget AR. ARs aren't the answer to everything...especially hunting where it's all about accurate first shots rather than capacity and firepower.

I had a 16" 6.5 Grendel AR that I built, with the intent of using it for deer, but never ended up getting to go. It originally had a BCA barrel on it, because it was cheap, and that thing was a piece of crap. Like someone else said, I could sometimes get it around 2 MOA cold bore, but once it heated up it was all over the place. I ended up spending a couple hundred bucks to replace that barrel with a Faxon, which brought the gun down to around 1moa, maybe a little over. Ultimately, I decided that there was nothing I could do to paper with it inside of 200 yards (max distance at my range) that I couldn't do with .223, and with .223 I don't have to worry about hard to find components and expensive brass that gets lost or chewed up by your AR at an alarming rate. I sold the gun and put the proceeds towards another CMP Garand. Don't regret that decision one bit...except it would have been cheaper to just buy the Garand first.

6.5 Grendel also loses a lot with the shorter barrel. I think I could enjoy one with a long, rifle-length match barrel and quality parts of I had the space to stretch it out. But the 16" build in my environment just didn't make any sense.

A .44 lever gun will get the job done while being a classic piece that your kid will appreciate the rest of his life. A BCA 6.5 Grendel will be just another cheap AR that looks and handles like every other AR, and shoots a difficult to source and expensive caliber.
    Some valid points and some opinions. Nothing wrong with that.

One thing that I really like about an AR is the endless array of options/parts and modularity. Can always take the lower and set anything from a .22 LR to a .450 Bushmaster on it, depending on what you are hunting/shooting.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I have some wolf 6.5 Grendel 100gr. They are 2.5" at 50yd in the same barrel I get under a moa with SST bullets. If you don't use the right ammunition it won't shoot well.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County

A little under a buck a round.

When you can find it. It works well on coyotes and hogs, so I assume it would work on deer.
    The TNT rounds tend to fragment pretty good is my understanding. I like an exit hole.
    I was surprised when told the Grendel ammo was running more. It’s for sure a more popular caliber. I haven’t bought ammo for a long time. I role my own. So I really haven’t been watching prices on very much, other than to know they are high.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    If you don't use the right ammunition it won't shoot well

I tried Hornady 123 and 129 SSTs and ELD Black....factory and reloads. Also some Sierra 123s. None of it shot well. But that Faxon Barrel made a big difference. The BCA barrel was the problem. I ended up giving it away, because I couldn't sell it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I tried Hornady 123 and 129 SSTs and ELD Black....factory and reloads. Also some Sierra 123s. None of it shot well. But that Faxon Barrel made a big difference. The BCA barrel was the problem. I ended up giving it away, because I couldn't sell it.
    That's why I recommended the criterion barrel made by Satern. Closer to 1/2 moa with Hornady and close to moa with federal.

kBk wz. 1970

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    Carroll County

A .44 lever gun will get the job done while being a classic piece that your kid will appreciate the rest of his life.
    (This is how I feel about the Winchester 94 that has been handed down 2 generations to me, and my son will be handed.)

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Look at 6mm ARC... new cartridge but better ballistics that 6.5 Grendel. 300 blackout would be a good cost effective route... if you already have a 5.56/223 AR, you can use your existing bolt/charging handle/magazines. The supersonic cartridges in 300 do well with whitetail and the suppressor still knocks down the sound at the shooters ear.

kBk wz. 1970

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    Carroll County
    Look at 6mm ARC... new cartridge but better ballistics that 6.5 Grendel. 300 blackout would be a good cost effective route... if you already have a 5.56/223 AR, you can use your existing bolt/charging handle/magazines. The supersonic cartridges in 300 do well with whitetail and the suppressor still knocks down the sound at the shooters ear.
    300 BO is cost effective? Better off to build a x39-

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    300 BO is cost effective? Better off to build a x39-
    In my example... already owning a 5.56/223 you don't have to buy a new BCG or magazines. Both of those are required with 6.5or x39. The intent is hunting not plinking. The cost of a bolt is equal to around 75 to 100 rounds... that's a lot of deer seasons.

Just my opinion

kBk wz. 1970

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    Carroll County
    In my example... already owning a 5.56/223 you don't have to buy a new BCG or magazines. Both of those are required with 6.5or x39. The intent is hunting not plinking. The cost of a bolt is equal to around 75 to 100 rounds... that's a lot of deer seasons.

Just my opinion
    Yeah, I guess. If cost effectiveness is the only determining factor for a dedicated deer rifle. Guess I look at legacy in firearms as a “my first kill rifle” being more than “this bolt”. (Either way cheaper than a Henry .44)

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    B023D517-3465-4C32-8E14-612B2993F57D.jpeg

Grendel for sure. I have all of those mentioned, and the blackout and the .44 just sit in the safe these days.

Blackout is really fun subsonic. 44 is really cool if you want a lever action. But for a practical do-it-all gun, I love Grendel. Killed an antelope at 283 yards in Wyoming with one this year, and have killed heaps of coyotes, hogs, and deer with the gun pictured above.

I’m a big fan of it as a starter gun because he won’t outgrow it, and it can do just about anything without a lot of noise or recoil. Mine is a ballistic advantage barrel and bolt, and shoots just under MOA with SST. I’ve had excellent luck with Faxon too though.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Thanks for all the replies from everyone. I am definitely leaning towards the Grendel now. We only hunt on private land, and I don't see that ever changing, sop the Grendel fits the bill pretty well.

As for as Bear Creek goes, I have never ordered from them, but 3 of my friends have bought uppers from them in the last few months, and they have all been happy with them. I may wait for my christmas bonus and look for a nice upper though.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Thanks for all the replies from everyone. I am definitely leaning towards the Grendel now. We only hunt on private land, and I don't see that ever changing, sop the Grendel fits the bill pretty well.

As for as Bear Creek goes, I have never ordered from them, but 3 of my friends have bought uppers from them in the last few months, and they have all been happy with them. I may wait for my christmas bonus and look for a nice upper though.
    You won't regret getting a better upper. 10 months until deer season leaves some time to get a good upper at a good price.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

You should seriously consider the barrel I suggested. They are excellent barrels...

Top Bottom