300 Blackout Suppressed; What's the Real Story?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    So recently I talked over the phone to a friend of mine who had just got his first suppressor. He told me he tried it out on his 300 blackout AR-15 with subsonic ammo, and was disappointed in how loud it still was. I tried to ask him to describe to me how loud it was in relation to other sounds (like compared to an unsuppressed 22lr, for instance) but he couldn't really seem to give an accurate picture. I've been toying around in my head with the idea of maybe eventually getting a suppressor one day, and had always thought that if I did so, I would probably be primarily intending to use it on a 300 blackout AR-15. I never really bought into the whole 300 BO fanboy line about "Oh, it's like movie quiet, the only thing you hear is the action cycling, you can't even hear the shot, blah blah blah..." but at the same time I had always thought the idea was that subsonic 300 Blackout would be far quieter that 5.56 NATO (assuming both are suppressed) because it doesn't create a sonic boom. However, this conversation got me curious to try to researching the numbers, and I was extremely surprised by what I found.

First off, I was surprised just how hard it is to find hard data (though I guess this shouldn't be surprising, since there's so many different way to measure the sound, depending on how far away your meter is, what direction it is relative to the gun, what ammo you're using, etc.) Most numbers I could find, though, seemed to fall within a certain general range, and those numbers looked extremely surprising to me. Supposedly, it looks like 130 decibels is a pretty good point to get to with suppressed 300 BO, but what surprised me more was that I saw some sources claiming that suppressed 5.56 would typically only be about 132 decibels at the shooter's ear. If that's the case, then why does everyone always seem to talk as if subsonic ammo is so much quieter that supersonic ammo when it's suppressed?

So are the numbers I'm looking at way off? Can anybody who has ever shot 5.56 and 300 blackout suppressed give me a general idea of how loud the actually are compared to each other? Or compared to other guns?

Thanks!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So are the numbers I'm looking at way off? Can anybody who has ever shot 5.56 and 300 blackout suppressed give me a general idea of how loud the actually are compared to each other? Or compared to other guns?
    It rank of quietest to loudest for me.

.22lr bolt/lever
    .22lr MP15-22
    9mm Tavor with integral suppressor
    .300BO pistol
    --------------------
    AR-15
    6.5mm Creedmoor

Above the line I shoot with ear pro. Below I do not generally. The Creedmoor is not comfortable without. The AR is OK for a shot or two. Anything more than that I would really hesitate to do.

My Tavor is not a lot louder than a 22. The 300BO is noticeably louder than the Tavor.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    It rank of quietest to loudest for me.

.22lr bolt/lever
    .22lr MP15-22
    9mm Tavor with integral suppressor
    .300BO pistol
    --------------------
    AR-15
    6.5mm Creedmoor

Above the line I shoot with ear pro. Below I do not generally. The Creedmoor is not comfortable without. The AR is OK for a shot or two. Anything more than that I would really hesitate to do.

My Tavor is not a lot louder than a 22. The 300BO is noticeably louder than the Tavor.
    Thanks for the info! I'm assuming all of the guns you listed are while shooting suppressed, right?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I put a friend's Dead Air Sandman on my T/C Encore in 300 Blk and it was movie quiet. If you truly want quiet the semi auto platforms are not where you want to be.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    An AR in 300 BLK suppressed is quiet. The shot is quiet, the action cycling is not quiet. It depends on where you're shooting too. Indoors, not as quiet. Out in the woods with nothing around, quiet. The suppressor also has a lot to do with it. My Resonator K is not as quiet as my friends Sandman, but I want the smaller profile, so I went with the shorter suppressor.

A bolt action or single shot 300 BLK with subs is extremely quiet. To compare it to a 5.56 NATO is just absurd. You'll never get quiet out of the 5.56, but outdoors, my .223 is still quiet enough to where I don't wear earpro. If I'm standing next to a building it gets a little uncomfortable after 10 rounds or so, unlike the 300 which I can shoot indoors without earpro all day long.

The only suppressed guns I've shot that were movie quiet were bolt actions or single shots and they were all subsonic. A bolt action .22 with subs is the quietest thing I've ever heard. The click of the trigger was louder than the shot. The single shot .300 isn't too far behind.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I've got a 9.5"AR15 in 300BLK and a 16" Ruger American in 300BLK. I use a YHM Resonator R2 30cal can.

The Ruger American with subsonic's is stupid quiet. You can hear the firing pin click and then the impact on steel down range shortly there after.

The 9.5"AR is pretty quiet with subsonic's. I noticed a lot of buffer tube "twang" more then the round actually being fired. So maybe that's why your friend thinks it's loud? I swapped out the standard carbine buffer and spring with a captured buffer unit and now its damn quiet. It was a nice upgrade and took all the "twang" out.

I've got a video on here from a few years ago somewhere in the reloading section I think.

Top Bottom