• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andrew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Where the fur traders sang
    I don't know anything about how Marion County Fish & Game sets its rules, but why would you say NO. .30 carbine is less powerful then some of the other cartridges on that list.

Thats what I have been curious about. If there are more powerful cartridges allowed, I wonder if there is a specific reason it is not on the list, or has not been suggested to add yet.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I'm certain it's been requested at least a dozen times.

To understand the reasons behind not approving .30 carbine you must understand club history and philosophy. The range has always been a "pistol caliber" and rimfire range. There were times in recent memory that .357 shooters had to shoot .38 spl.

The club is evolving, but one of the primary considerations in approving a cartridge is "Was this cartridge originally a pistol cartridge?" .30 carbine does not fit that description and regardless of perceived power or actual ballistic performance, would likely not be approved for use at MCFG.

Newg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Westside of Indy.
    I'm certain it's been requested at least a dozen times.

To understand the reasons behind not approving .30 carbine you must understand club history and philosophy. The range has always been a "pistol caliber" and rimfire range. There were times in recent memory that .357 shooters had to shoot .38 spl.

The club is evolving, but one of the primary considerations in approving a cartridge is "Was this cartridge originally a pistol cartridge?" .30 carbine does not fit that description and regardless of perceived power or actual ballistic performance, would likely not be approved for use at MCFG.

This thread is a few weeks old but I felt like I should comment in an effort to clarify. I'm not sure what rimfire_crazed's experience with Marion County Fish & Game is. But, having been very involved with the club as a board member during both the old and new era's, I can say he is mistaken and what he has posted here is not accurate. In the past there really was no system / science used for approving cartridges. If it was determined that the requested cartridge didn't fit what the board members felt should be approved at the club, it wasn't approved and that was that. In recent years the board has tried to go to a more scientific approach to approving cartridges. I.E., they take ballistics into consideration. Never has "one of the primary considerations in approving a cartridge" been based on whether or not it was originally a pistol cartridge. There are cartridges on the approved list that were not originally pistol cartridges. I can think of two off the top of my head, .44-40 Winchester and .38-40 Winchester. Both of these were originally introduced for rifles. It is totally possible that rimfire_crazed was told this at one time or another but it is not true.

rimfire_crazed also states the he is "certain it's been requested at least a dozen times". It may have been requested a dozen times in the 2 years that I have been gone from the board or the 90+ years before. I honestly have no idea. I can tell you in the 6 years that I was on the board I do not recall that cartridge ever being requested. We honestly didn't get a lot of requests for cartridges so I have a pretty good recollection of the ones that were requested during my time.

As to the original question, "Does anyone think that the .30 carbine cartridge has a chance of being approved to shoot at MCF&G". There is only one way to truly find out. That is to go through the simple process of requesting .30 carbine. All you have to do is attend a board meeting and bring it up as a topic. Come with information and good data on the cartridge you are requesting and you will be given ample opportunity to make your case. This is the only way to find out. I definitely would not give up based on an INGO member simply saying "No".

I hope I haven't offended anyone. I'm not trying to call anyone a liar or make anyone look bad, I just want to try to clear up any misunderstanding there may be about this topic.

Disclaimer: While I do have a good understanding of the way it's run, I do not represent MCFG in any official way anymore. I'm currently just a member who saw something I thought I could help clarify.

andrew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Where the fur traders sang
    This thread is a few weeks old but I felt like I should comment in an effort to clarify. I'm not sure what rimfire_crazed's experience with Marion County Fish & Game is. But, having been very involved with the club as a board member during both the old and new era's, I can say he is mistaken and what he has posted here is not accurate. In the past there really was no system / science used for approving cartridges. If it was determined that the requested cartridge didn't fit what the board members felt should be approved at the club, it wasn't approved and that was that. In recent years the board has tried to go to a more scientific approach to approving cartridges. I.E., they take ballistics into consideration. Never has "one of the primary considerations in approving a cartridge" been based on whether or not it was originally a pistol cartridge. There are cartridges on the approved list that were not originally pistol cartridges. I can think of two off the top of my head, .44-40 Winchester and .38-40 Winchester. Both of these were originally introduced for rifles. It is totally possible that rimfire_crazed was told this at one time or another but it is not true.

rimfire_crazed also states the he is "certain it's been requested at least a dozen times". It may have been requested a dozen times in the 2 years that I have been gone from the board or the 90+ years before. I honestly have no idea. I can tell you in the 6 years that I was on the board I do not recall that cartridge ever being requested. We honestly didn't get a lot of requests for cartridges so I have a pretty good recollection of the ones that were requested during my time.

As to the original question, "Does anyone think that the .30 carbine cartridge has a chance of being approved to shoot at MCF&G". There is only one way to truly find out. That is to go through the simple process of requesting .30 carbine. All you have to do is attend a board meeting and bring it up as a topic. Come with information and good data on the cartridge you are requesting and you will be given ample opportunity to make your case. This is the only way to find out. I definitely would not give up based on an INGO member simply saying "No".

I hope I haven't offended anyone. I'm not trying to call anyone a liar or make anyone look bad, I just want to try to clear up any misunderstanding there may be about this topic.

Disclaimer: While I do have a good understanding of the way it's run, I do not represent MCFG in any official way anymore. I'm currently just a member who saw something I thought I could help clarify.

Thank you for your help and answer. I am planning on going to the next board meeting and trying to see where I can get. Thanks for your advice on bringing information and data on the cartridge.

As far as MCF&G being a "pistol caliber" and rimfire range, we are allowed to shoot black powdered rifles and shotguns.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Does anyone think that the .30 carbine cartridge has a chance of being aproved to shoot at MCF&G?

I don't know much about the cartrige, other than it is a rather light round.

Here is the link to what is currently allowed to be shot at MCF&G: MCFG Indy Range - Approved Cartridges for use on the Ranges

So do you think that there is a posibily the .30 carbine would get approved?
    According to MY reloading Manuals, the .30 Carbine, is EQUAL, to a .357 Mag. out of a RIFLE .....:twocents:

Top Bottom