• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    So we have had these 3 (maybe more) chipmunks living in our shed for about 3 years now. I have seen them running around the front yard, and have seen the holes they have dug. I have had to run them out of the garage a few times.

Well I don't own a pellet gun, so I asked a friend to borrow his. So I have this Crossman 1000FPS .177 pellet gun at my disposal. Nothing special it has some surface rust and a busted front sight. That's ok though, it has a BSA scope on it.

So I am up today at about 5:30 AM and have no plans for the day, so I cut up an apple and set it out in the rocks around my shed. Now I play the waiting game.

Much to my surprise I did not have to wait long, after about 10 minutes here comes the first one. Surprisingly he walked right by the apple I had left and went to the far corner and sat there. So I took the shot. HEAD SHOT, after about 3 seconds of twitching it lays dead. Upon retrieval of the varmint I see that I had got him just below the eye.

So in anticipation of the others, I suspect that 3 are residing within my shed. I waited, and waited but they never show. So now its about noon, and I decided to take a nap. I was awoke a little while later, maybe around 3:30 ish. The apples are gone, however the second one is sitting in the opposite corner of the rocks the first one was sitting in. So I aim and take the shot. Got this one in the neck, he died a bout 15sec after he was hit.

Now I am not 100% certain there are 3 of them so I figure I will put some more apples out and see if they are gone tommorow. Well about 45min ago I figured I would give a look to see if they had been touched. Sure enough one of the apple slices were gone. So I sit out there and waited about 15min or so when he come crawling out from under the siding on the shed.

This shot was perfect, he was sitting right on top of the cinderblock I had set the apple slices on top of. So I aim and take the shot. I got this one in the neck as well, but I think it hit his spine, as this one did not twitch or anything. It just fell dead on the spot.

Well that's my story for you guys, I went 3 for 3 today. One shot one kill, the way it should be done. :rockwoot:

Still on the lookout for these things though. Shooting them was a last resort, as we have been putting trays of DE-CON out for them for the past 2 years. The trays are always empty but the chipmunks still run around and chew on the cardboard and plastics in my shed. Not to mention the massive amounts of poop they leave behind all over and on my lawn mower. :n00b:

I took some pictures of the last 2, and have a short video of the second one. If anybody is interested I can post them.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    yeah I have a problem with those little bastards too. they just don't respond to verbal commands to leave the yard.:dunno: but they do respond to fast moving lead:rockwoot:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    :postpics:

Nice shooting, Tex! Amazing what a basic pelet rifle will do. I took care of many a pesky bird, squirrel, and stray cat back in the day with my Daisy. Still have it. Think I need to clean it up and get some ammo.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I've been shooting mine for three years. I clean em out every year, but nature rebounds. The next year they are all back. I probably average 15 per year before I stop seeing them. My best weekend was last year... 7 in one weekend. :):

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I only have pics of the last 2. I didn't think take pics/video and show you guys until I had already threw the first into the field. :dunno:

105_1053.jpg

105_1052.jpg

^^ This is the one seen in the video ^^
    105_1055.jpg

Bad news on the video, I guess it didn't record the 3rd getting shot. However I did get the 2nd.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhYj0BhSDmQ[/ame]

(video may still be processing)

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    they've got pretty little skins if you've got the time to skin them...i know it's hardly worth it considering the size, but still.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    nice shooting man!
    we dont have many of them around here in SW part of the state. only time I have ever really seen a chipmunk was when I was deer hunting years ago in Pike county. I was sitting up in my stand and dropping trail mix on the ground for them and they would come running,little bastards where everywhere and didnt seem to scared of me at all.
    when I was a kid the property we lived on butted up against the county land field we use to wait for the land field to close and everyone to go home and we would set up on a table in the middle of the field and shoot rats off the trash piles with our 22s..was our very own little white trash prarie dog hunt:rolleyes::):

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I have applied for my "cat" permit, but it hasn't gotten here yet. So for now I can't take it to the range, but it is OK to use it at home until my permit gets here, as I understand the law.
    :D

Top Bottom