• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    thats a block of flavored crisco, a 2 dollar thermal blanket and water. You'd be better off with a jar of peanut butter and some capri suns...go ahead and splurge for the blanket in the camping isle.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Wasn't sure if the food contents was similar to that of an MRE. The details they give about the food is very limited. If it truly is a bar of fat I think I'll pass.

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    it's a mainstay bar... i think it's a multivitamin with substance. look it up on amazon and it gives you all the details. it's nothing like an mre

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A waste of money.

That Mainstay 3600 is 3600 calories. Its good survival food. Very complete. It is also about $7. Buy yourself a Mainstay 3600 (also made in 2400 and 1200 cal sizes). Pick up a couple bottles of water. Buy a $2 space blanket or better yet, get some heavy dudty contractor bags and stick one of those in there. Stick it in a used backpack or even a cheap lunch cooler type bag. With the leftover $ you can toss in a couple lighters, a ziplock baggie of tinder (dryer lint, wax paper, dry wood), a cheap knife or multitool, an LED light and a ziplock of bandaids and a couple 4x4 gauze pads. Total will be about $25.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Those supposedly 3-day kits are BS. Think about what they are offering; (1) 3600 calorie bar for 3 days. That's only 1200 calories a day. If you weigh 60 pounds and sit on your butt all day that might be enough caloric intake. Otherwise, if you're average sized adult with any activity level you will burn through more than 1200 calories in a single day. Looking at the typical metabolic rate for an average adult male 3,600 calories might get you through one day of active movement (in temperate conditions). In the winter this goes up!

Those little water packets are OK, but they're small. Only about 4-5 ounces of water.

Plan accordingly.:yesway:

There are 3 different food bars I'm familiar with:

1. Mainstay - vanilla flavor, IIRC.
    2. Datrex - coconut flavor
    3. MayDay - apple cinnamon flavor
    They are all OK tasting, but heavy.

edit: all of the three items above are US manufactured, not foreign.

Last edited:

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    i've only tried datrex, it was not bad but if you ate it for a couple days you probably wouldn't crap for a month. the packaged bottled water from the grocery store doesn't go bad for years so i think thats a much better alternative...plus you can reuse the bottle.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    the mainstays are a lemmon flavor, or the last ones i had were. i dont have any that are close dated or id open one and try it.

yeah like wetsu said the kit is a waste of money. do it yourself. but the mainstays are good to go. but likes woodsman said, if you plan to be active you will need to eat double the serving at least.
    I use the mainstays mainly for cache locations where if i had to leave my bag behind or it gets stolen from me or I need to keep a low profile, I will still be able to resupply at various points on my journey.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I will take issue with one thing WETSU said: don't buy a cheap knife for your survival kit! This doesn't mean you have to invest $250 in your 3-day kit, but there are plenty of decent blades for $50 or less that may be purchased at Dicks, or Gander Mountain, or even ACE Hardware stores. Gerber, Kershaw, and Buck make great knives at decent prices. Neither would I purchase a no-name pocket tool; stick with Gerber, Leatherman, or even SOG - all of them make a decent, long-lasting pocket tool which will be much more versatile and much less likely to break than what you might find in a "typical" $20 survival kit or in the bargain bin at your local dollar store.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    IMHO everything is a trade off, you might buy the best knife, pack, stove, sleeping bag, first aid supplies, etc but if your have no training it's worthless junk. Learn how to use what you carry. Carry what you know how to use..

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've got a bag of granola-type bars that I bought at COSTCO awhile back. They seem to last a long time without needing too much care to preserve them. Haven't tried surviving on them, but they are filling. Our individual survival kits used to be stocked with a lifeboat ration. It looked like compressed sawdust and didn't taste quite as bad as sawdust. I did live on one of those for a couple days in an E & E course we took at Ft. Lewis. Not much fun to eat, but they had a long shelf life and no one wanted to pilfer them...

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany

The MayDay bars are GTG. Last year I sampled the ones listed in my previous post and all of them tasted decent. I was looking for some variety to break-up the monotony of eating the same thing. The MayDay and Mainstay bars are both solid bricks with some score marks on them to separate into the 400 calorie snack sizes. The Datrex version has smaller, multiple individually wrapped pieces (thickness like an Oreo cookie) within the outer wrapper.

The Datrex bars crumble fairly easy. In fact they break up trying to get them unwrapped. It's almost childproof!:)

The other two versions are like cracking walnuts!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    IMHO everything is a trade off, you might buy the best knife, pack, stove, sleeping bag, first aid supplies, etc but if your have no training it's worthless junk. Learn how to use what you carry. Carry what you know how to use..

While it's true everything is a tradeoff, a good knife is probably your single most important tool. Buying cheap (the $5 - $10 dollar specials come to mind) may leave you with a broken knife just when you need it. I was a big fan of the Swiss Army Knife and carried one for years - until I twisted the screwdriver right off the knife trying to make a repair. A good quality knife need not be very expensive, but it should be sturdy and easily sharpened.

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    While it's true everything is a tradeoff, a good knife is probably your single most important tool. Buying cheap (the $5 - $10 dollar specials come to mind) may leave you with a broken knife just when you need it. I was a big fan of the Swiss Army Knife and carried one for years - until I twisted the screwdriver right off the knife trying to make a repair. A good quality knife need not be very expensive, but it should be sturdy and easily sharpened.

Any recommendations for a sturdy, easily sharpened knife that is not very expensive?

I also add that the emergency "kits" are sometimes good to get ideas from, but are rarely a good value. Look at a kit you like and buy the same items individually, paying attention to quality and value. Better yet, simulate the situation(s) you are preparing for and see what you would actually need and how it would be used.

Top Bottom