• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So being attacked by a suspect removes all professionalism/restraint and gives you free reign to do whatever the hell you want to them?

Perp hits you? That's a beating
    Getting spit on? That's a beating
    throws a drink at you? Thats a beating
    Calls your mom a whore? That's a beating.

I find the concept of an officer given a greenlight to abuse simply because they were battered or assaulted first very dubious.

My response as a police officer would be guided by the relevant laws, but if I were your juror for ANYONE in those situations:

Hitting you, as long as you don't curb stomp them once they are out I'm probably not concerned. If you start the fight don't be calling the cops because you lost it.

Honestly, if someone spits on you and you beat the dog **** out of them you'll walk if I'm on your jury even if you sent them to the hospital and/or dentist. No eye gouging. This isn't 'Nam, there are rules.

Drink throwing? How drunk was everyone? What band was playing? How sticky was it? Context will matter.

I don't know your mom, so we'll have to see where the evidence takes us on that one.

Epicenity

shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    So exceedingly rare. Maybe a handful of these incidents in the millions of police/citizen interactions a year. Of course we are talking about TV style police misconduct and not an arrest with PC that turns out to be an innocent person. You're more likely to win the Powerball than get caught up in illegal police misconduct.
    Respectfully, there a lot more than a few a year. There are many a day documented. The prevalence of cameras has exposed the very large amount of corruption.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Respectfully, there a lot more than a few a year. There are many a day documented. The prevalence of cameras has exposed the very large amount of corruption.
    IF you believe the liberal media...they have an agenda they are actively furthering. It`s an anti-America agenda, and if you are assisting them in the furtherance of that agenda, YOU are a problem.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Corruption is a pretty broad term. Care to be more specific?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I can agree with this. A simple couple hours on you tube will show some very bad officers. Even more that simply don’t have a clue what they are doing. It’s amazing. And the number of lawsuits and won is crazy. I am actually beginning to see good officers stopping bad conduct and even crime from other officers. When I see good cops stopping bad ones it’s a great sign. I support good cops 100%, but never a bad one. And to think there isn’t any of them out there is foolishness. You know, like the 2 that broke that poor woman’s arm that hadn’t stolen anything and was mentally challenged. They laughed about it. Or the old man with dymentia getting pulled over and another cop showed up and his camera caught them throwing the poor old man down and then lied saying they were assaulted. That cop was so mad he left and was cussing….and he turned them in. The poor old man died from his injuries. It’s hard to watch these videos over stuff a good cop would handle way better. But those few bad ones when found and not weeded soon enough cause so much harm, fear and distrust.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Funny how beatings resulting from those things are socially acceptible if the beater isn't a cop.
    The difference is professionalism. And even a professional slips up sometimes. So the likelihood of me being upset if the perp "fell down" on the way to the station, OK. But if the guy looks like he fell down the stairs, maybe multiple times, then we have an issue. :):

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    There was a time, once, when a doctor acted inappropriately in a patient's room. Would love to have known the back story of this patient's prior visits though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There was a time, once, when a doctor acted inappropriately in a patient's room. Would love to have known the back story of this patient's prior visits though.

Didnt watch the video, but maybe doc knew somebody was fishing for meds they could abuse/get high on?
    You know, the old "Im allergic to everything except [insert controlled substance here]"

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Well, I just want to go on record as saying, I'm happy he got his white ass stomped, until someone shows me evidence to convince me otherwise.

***(Black Lives Matter - this is how a proper citizen who has got some g*ddamn sense responds to situations like this...please take note).

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The difference is professionalism. And even a professional slips up sometimes. So the likelihood of me being upset if the perp "fell down" on the way to the station, OK. But if the guy looks like he fell down the stairs, maybe multiple times, then we have an issue. :):
    It really doesn't happen as often as people think/claim it does.

Epicenity

shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    IF you believe the liberal media...they have an agenda they are actively furthering. It`s an anti-America agenda, and if you are assisting them in the furtherance of that agenda, YOU are a problem.

Not the "liberal media". A problem I see here as well on sites that "lean the other way" is that people are playing team sports. A lot of people, not necessarily talking about you personally, are trying to "win" an argument, there is no desire have discussion or search for truth. I haven't made any ALL COPS ARE BAD!!! statements but I'm still getting blow back.

Anyway, back to the "liberal media". I'm not talking about abcncbccbsfoxnewsmsnbc. I'm talking about clear, unambiguous, first hand video evidence posted every day. The frightening part about that is that this, necessarily is tiny sub-set of what happens. Constrained by 1: People who caught it on video, and 2: Took the time and effort to post it, and 3: I happened to see it. It is by no means rare.

George Floyd was accused of trying to use a counterfeit bill. Had his murder not be clearly recorded, he would have been just another "dead, drug-addict who resisted arrest".

I think some people may live in tiny, insular communities and are ignorant of what is happening in the wider world. Yes, if you're a sheriff's deputy in a tiny white, middle class town, and you know everyone you seen and the the other people in your department, it is probably pretty "Mayberry" like. Otherwise when I see LEOs say that bad interactions are "extremely rare" I feel like they are just doing what has been historically true: lying because there isn't evidence and depending on a culture of circling the wagons. It's not true that suddenly, when everyone started carrying a video camera, LEOs started behaving badly.

I am an professional, white, upper middle-class woman over 50. I don't remember the last time I talked to a LEO outside of small fender-bender I was in. But I am greatly interested in justice and it doesn't serve anyone's best interest to have aggressive, dishonest, uneducated in the law, "us and them", as long as I go home safe tonight cops, out in the world.

Sidebar:
    The lying thing is incomprehensible to me. I think people will try to appeal to the extreme case here so I'll address it. Telling a multiple, child-killing murder suspect you have evidence that you don't to try to elicit a confession or catch an inconsistency is not the most morally reprehensible thing the world. Bullying decent people out their various rights on the street, is.

Getting back to the story. Most of the bad behavior I see online falls into A: ignorance. The lack of training evidenced by the observed behavior is appalling and B: Laziness. Someone calls in a complaint, LE show up and tell the person called upon to stop the complained about behavior because ....uhhhhhhh.... "disturbing the peace.

Anyway, a few final thoughts.

1: I feel that most people will just read all this as as attack on the police. It is just a desire to have an ethical, trustworthy police force.
    2: Standing by while fellow LEOs behave badly is ultimately bad for everyone.
    3: Another reason it may be difficult to gather statistics on LEO malfeasance is the basic of formula of:
    • Deny, bully, deny
    • In the face of evidence, charge the complainant with bogus violations as a counter to measure to bargain with.
    • Deny access to records, body-cams etc.
    • Internal affairs, where the police investigate themselves and find no wrong doing.
    • Finally, in the face of clear, overwhelming evidence, settle of out court to keep the LEOs record clean, and let the municipality pay the settlement, ultimately resulting in real penalty the perpetrators.
    • If it's really bad, fire the offenders and have them get jobs elsewhere.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Good for you for being morally superior. Hope that works out for you...

Please explain how you took that from my post? If you think ANYONE gets to go around and do what they want because someone was a jerk/mean/spit at them... I don't know what to say.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    And what do you think the court of public opinion would have done with them for shooting him? He's alive, is he not?

I'm not suggesting they should have shot him at all. I'm saying if they thought he was such a deadly threat that three officers simultaneously kicked/punched/bounced his head off the concrete, they have other methods of dealing with that. I don't believe they thought that. It looks like they took out their anger instead of doing their job.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Lol, police are far from "punishment squads." If they were, the recidivism rate of criminals would be near 0%. Funny how the restraint of hundreds of thousands of officers in the US are lumped in with these 3. I guess I should compare all lawful gun owners to any person that has ever used a gun to commit a crime.

I don't think he is saying all police are punishment squads. And be honest... you watch TV, you know it is more than just these three.

I don't know you, but I've been on INGO for a long time, and you seem like the type of LEO that is a good one. Doesn't it anger you that this type of stuff happens in your profession?

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    There seems to be a few who are so morally superior and clearly are missing their opportunity to apply for a LE job.
    Seriously, explain this? Morally superior because we are calling out bad actions? I can have empathy for those in a tough job (I do) and still not excuse their actions. I'm not saying one is right, and one is wrong... they are BOTH wrong.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Nice jab at Hamer and police, but ultimately uninformed. He did have dementia at the end of his life, but was in no way mentally ill during his working years. He was simply a product of his time and place, although it's popular with liberals and cancel culture to hold everyone everywhere at everytime to their own modern standards of wherever they happen to live.

No, that was simply the mindset of Texas (and others) at the time and was in no way limited to law enforcement. Juries routinely acquitted on Murder charges if the decedent had publicly insulted the accused. It was still an honor society. The generation of his father and grandfather still viewed dueling as completely acceptable and it was still quite legal in most of the south and west. So accepted that less then 50 years before Hamer's birth, "Duelling: The Code of Honor" was published by the former governor of South Carolina was essentially the rule book by which the upper class was expected to duel with pistols. A second edition with rules specifically for the Irish (who couldn't afford dueling pistols) some 20 years later.

"If an oppressed nation has a right to appeal to arms in defense of its liberty and happiness of its people, there can be no argument used in support of such appeal, which will not apply with equal force to individuals…if he be subjected to a tame submission to insult and disgrace…the first law of nature, self-preservation, points out the only remedy for wrongs."

and

"When by education we make character and moral worth a part of ourselves, we guard these possessions with more watchful zeal than life itself, and would go farther for their protection"

They truly believed 'Death before Dishonor' in those times and places. if you were shamed you were nothing. While this may seem alien to you, it's the culture he was raised in.

The same Hamer protected a jailed black man from a lynch mob pre-trial when the local sheriff was overwhelmed and ready to give the prisoner up to save his own skin. This was a common assignment for Rangers at the time. He lived at a very interesting time, basically the tail end of the cowboy days and border skirmishes with Mexico to the beginnings of modernization of investigative and police procedures during the Prohibition era.
    Nice write-up. He wrote himself a ticket (by your account, I've not researched it). So that time and place also found it unacceptable, right?

I do agree that it was a different time and place, so I'm not sure why you referenced it relating to these three cops in 2022?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I don't think he is saying all police are punishment squads. And be honest... you watch TV, you know it is more than just these three.

I don't know you, but I've been on INGO for a long time, and you seem like the type of LEO that is a good one. Doesn't it anger you that this type of stuff happens in your profession?
    The thing that angers me the most is being treated like **** because of the actions of others.

Top Bottom