• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    There is quite a bit of misinformation in this thread. The 75 dollars buys you the adapter and the filter. Of which you pay 200 for a stamp. When the filter wears out (and it will) you must send it in for "repairs" and the company reattaches a new filter for a fee. Some calibers are only rated for a few rounds before they blow the filter out.

As any filter attached to the adapter is a silencer/suppressor part, and therefore an NFA item you cannot add any filter you pick up at Autozone (legally) Only the class 3 manufacturer can "repair" your silencer by adding a new filter.

As this is obviously very easy to get around, I would imagine the chance of getting into trouble with this could be high. If say you owned this, and an oil filter in your garage. ATF might consider that filter in your garage a suppressor part that is unregistered.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I think the higher purpose of this idea is this. In a WROL situation, who is going to be worried about NFA or the ATF coming down on you until ROL and civility has been brought back to the land. You own the adapter, keep it in your pack or whatnot without an oil filter anywhere near it. If there's ever a need for a silent shot, you should pretty easily be able to locate an oil filter that will fit your adaptor.

It's been mentioned that the adaptor itself is what you're paying the tax for. Now I may be wrong, but since when is a thread adaptor to be considered a silencer in itself? Now I havent looked into it and dont know whether they refuse to sell the adaptor without an attached oil filter, but I dont think owning the adaptor alone would be considered an NFA item. I can purchase a threaded barrel for my pistol and its not an NFA item. I can purchase a thread adaptor for my threaded barrel and its not considered an NFA item. Why would this particular adaptor be considered an NFA item? Without owning the oil filter, theres no proof for contructive intent.

???

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I think the higher purpose of this idea is this. In a WROL situation, who is going to be worried about NFA or the ATF coming down on you until ROL and civility has been brought back to the land. You own the adapter, keep it in your pack or whatnot without an oil filter anywhere near it. If there's ever a need for a silent shot, you should pretty easily be able to locate an oil filter that will fit your adaptor.

It's been mentioned that the adaptor itself is what you're paying the tax for. Now I may be wrong, but since when is a thread adaptor to be considered a silencer in itself? Now I havent looked into it and dont know whether they refuse to sell the adaptor without an attached oil filter, but I dont think owning the adaptor alone would be considered an NFA item. I can purchase a threaded barrel for my pistol and its not an NFA item. I can purchase a thread adaptor for my threaded barrel and its not considered an NFA item. Why would this particular adaptor be considered an NFA item? Without owning the oil filter, theres no proof for contructive intent.

???

It's because there needs to be a registered part for a suppressor to be legal. Since oil filters are not something that requires a $200 NFA stamp, the adapter has to be the registered component. While that doesn't make much sense to us, I'm sure it comes as a big relief to most people who need oil filters for their vehicles (imagine if you needed to pay $200 and a 6 month wait, on top of the cost of the part).

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I met him years ago when his shop was still in Moyock. He is a talented guy. The part that is registered is the solvent trap, not the filter.

You can buy it as just a solvent trap which is how these started or buy it as a registered silencer and do the transfer. Small gun small filter, big gun use a diesel filter.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I think the guy selling the "ECONO-CAN" knows he's selling a particular product with a particular use for maximum profit, therefore he sucks up to the ATF and serializes his product. Thereby covering his ass legally and allowing him to market said product as a poor mans NFA item.

A thread adaptor is not an NFA item, just like a bullet is not an NFA item. We all know the potential a bullet has, right? We all know it is to be used in a firearm. We all know it is the projectile, the bullet itself which does the damage! Yet still, a bullet is not an NFA item that requires a tax stamp to purchase, own or use.

Now tell me a chunk of unserialized metal with threads is an NFA item.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Stainless steel racing filters :)
    China_hydraulic_stainless_steel_oil_filter2012861423277.jpg

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    BTW - The dissemination of personal opinion and theories of operation are covered by our 1st Ammendment and are not to be considered pretext to "Contrsuctive Intent".

Top Bottom