• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Rimfire is the perfect OCD complaint sport, with everything being a variable.
    On my AR22 I was getting 1¾ groups at 50 yards (sling, prone 4x optic ) that's more then ok for CMP Rimfire Sporter, I wanted to run Anschutz iron sights on to mimic my match rifle, so I added 2 ounces of aluminum bloop tube, I watched my groups shink by ½ inch on average.

I did a lot testing back when I was shooting ISSF 3P ............clean bore vs dirty, non lubed after lubed to see group size, spic & span clean vs a quick clean.....

What's really funny my Anschutz will shoot golden bullet almost as well cci sv

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    The thought on it is each brand of .22 has it's own lube, alloy, finish and when changing ammo it takes 5-25 shots to clean out the old stuff and lay a layer of the new stuff inside the barrel for uniform performance. IE shoot brand A for a while so the barrel's seasoned for it (has a layer of that lube/alloy inside the barrel) then switch to brand B, the first few shots of brand B will be less consistent until the barrel's re-seasoned for brand B.

I understand the concept and rationale but haven't messed with hunting around for THE ammo in order to play with seasoning, I just found what was good enough and stuck with it.
    I've played around with this a little. Sometimes it holds true, other times it makes little to no difference. One thing I have noticed is that if I shoot ammo with slimy lube, Eley for instance, then switch to a dry lubed ammo like CCI, the first couple of groups with the dry lubed ammo are almost always significantly tighter than average. Inversely going from dry lube to slimy ammo the first groups are invariably a little looser than average. Slimy to slimy or dry to dry, groups are usually close to the range of groups already used to determine averages.

Now, not being a rich man and a bit of a tightwad who hates wasting ammo what I do is when I switch ammo types I go ahead and shoot for group right off the bat. If the first couple of groups are significantly tighter or looser than average I record those groups but don't include them when figuring for average.

/not a statistician
    //YMMV

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I've played around with this a little. Sometimes it holds true, other times it makes little to no difference. One thing I have noticed is that if I shoot ammo with slimy lube, Eley for instance, then switch to a dry lubed ammo like CCI, the first couple of groups with the dry lubed ammo are almost always significantly tighter than average. Inversely going from dry lube to slimy ammo the first groups are invariably a little looser than average. Slimy to slimy or dry to dry, groups are usually close to the range of groups already used to determine averages.

Now, not being a rich man and a bit of a tightwad who hates wasting ammo what I do is when I switch ammo types I go ahead and shoot for group right off the bat. If the first couple of groups are significantly tighter or looser than average I record those groups but don't include them when figuring for average.

/not a statistician
    //YMMV
    As with most gun rules of thumb: Might be really helpful and hold up to scrutiny. or might be total :poop:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    As with most gun rules of thumb: Might be really helpful and hold up to scrutiny. or might be total :poop:
    Yep. Just something I've noticed in my rifles. One other point that I forgot to mention, and that is your rifle has to be accurate and consistent enough that is a little obvious. The average 10/22 I seriously doubt a person could tell if it was lube related or a fluke. Something that shoots consistently sub MOA, yeah, you can tell.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Yep. Just something I've noticed in my rifles. One other point that I forgot to mention, and that is your rifle has to be accurate and consistent enough that is a little obvious. The average 10/22 I seriously doubt a person could tell if it was lube related or a fluke. Something that shoots consistently sub MOA, yeah, you can tell.
    We can try this test with my Anschutz, I would hope that is a better/more consistent/ more accurate rifle then all 10/22's combined

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Feel like this will add nicely to the original post. Mostly factory 10/22 at 50 yds. Shot with a 7 power optic. A36CA043-9FD8-4542-834C-3A571FE212D8.jpeg
    2845DA67-A166-4E45-859F-1D074F522715.jpeg
    Can confirm that Eley Force shot very well for this rifle, just don’t have pics to prove it. I’ll pick some more up if I’m lucky enough to find it.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Have you tried Eley force in it? I'm wondering if it is just as accurate in a better quality firearm.
    No sir I have not. I have not even looked for Eley Force to try, I may have to look into that and see how it shoots.
    I normally feed my rifle cci sv for practice then sk yellow for more serious practice.....

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Fun thing to try, repeat the test, same ammo, same rifle, same weather conditions (if possible) but wrap the end of the barrel with some electrical tape or slide some o rings on, a poor man's tuner.......I added 2.5 ounces of aluminum tubing (a bloop tube) to my dedicated AR22 and I saw the groups shrink by a noticeable amount.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I picked up 5 different types of 22lr to test hopefully by spring if not sooner.
    20230103_125953.jpg
    20230103_130111.jpg
    I'll run them through my 10/22 which is the same as the past tests I've done.

I'm also going to run the Punch, and Norma Eco through my TX22 also for velocity, and functionality.

Top Bottom