• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Put 200 rounds through my most accurate .22LR pistols before the snows come.

Browning Buckmark Silhouette 10" with a few simple upgrades.
    Zachcz found this for me since he knew I loved Buckmarks & I bought 07-2021.
    pic on 12.22.2022.jpg

SW 41 bought 10-2018 from Aeroflyer, which I upgraded the internals.
    pic on 12.22.2022.jpg

Kel-Tec CP33 bought 09-2022 from Zachcz. pic of Keltec CP33.jpg

30' since I was using optics.
    SW 41 always requires a standard velocity (CCI SV).
    Federal AutoMatch for the CP33 & Brwng Bckmrk 10".
    10 rounds in each of the 1.75" x 2.75" red/orange oblong circles.
    Both the CP33 & Brwng Bckmrk 10" had better groups than the SW41 on this target, which is irritating since I have nearly x3 more invested in the SW 41 than either of the other two.
    Range 12.22.2022 Bckmrk 10in & CP33 & SW 41 30ft on 1.75 & 2.75 circles.jpg

Shooting 5 rds each 1.75" circle, shooting at 30' since using optics.
    My absolute "keepers" can get 100% of rounds on the circles, not just on 1 row, but even the whole page, which I rarely do anymore b/c of ammo costs.
    The 3rd row 60% with the Kel-Tec needed the elevation adjusted, before getting 100% on the last row.
    Used Federal AutoMatch with CP33 & Buckmark 10".
    Brwng Bckmrk 10 in & Keltec CP33 & SW 41 on 1.75 in circles.jpg

Used CCI Mini-Mags for this target.
    I wanted to see if it would get all rounds on the circles & surprised it did.
    Groups labelled above each circle & were a little tighter with the Browning Buckmark 10".
    Range 12.22.2022 30 ft on 1.75 in wCCI Mini Mags.jpg

Attachments

• pic on 12.22.2022.jpg
      pic on 12.22.2022.jpg
      75.2 KB · Views: 1

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Look at the keltec showing the extremely overpriced guns who the boss is LOL

Still blows my mind it shoots as well as it does.
    I wouldn't listen to you about the Kel-Tec brand, but when you let me shoot yours, I had to have one since it not only worked, it worked well.
    The trigger is better than alot that I've had, also.

6 of my .22LR handguns I have bought directly from you or b/c of a tip from you!
    Do you even remember you found my beloved Browning Buckmark Silhouette 10" for me??!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Warning against this rail for my Taurus TX 5" Competition model.
    Lakeline Composite TX22 Competition Sight Mounting Picatinny Rail Plate
    Lakeline SKU: TXT-MP-476-P
    $19.95

I bought this for my Taurus 5" Competition model so I could put an inexpensive red dot on it.
    This mounting plate is made from fiberglass reinforced nylon in black and uses the factory mounting screws to mount to the TX-22 Competition.
    The material did not hold up in application!
    I was puzzled when I first used it & after less than 100 rounds the placement of rounds started going astray.
    I thought I might not have tightened the rail down enough, & when I went to do so the 2nd time I used it that it was warped.

I should have ordered & did so just now:
    JSARMSCO
    $39.99

Product Overview
    Picatinny rail - 5 Slot.
    6061 Solid Aluminum anodized black - .55oz.
    Fits the Taurus TX22 Competition only.
    Has a slot in it, so if the red dot is removed you can still use open sights.
    Reuse the two factory screws to hold it on the barrel.

12.27.2022 compostie rail for TX Comp. 5in warped left best side.jpg 12.27.2022 compostie rail for TX Comp. 5in warped left side lower topish.jpg 12.27.2022 compostie rail for TX Comp. 5in warped side left topish.jpg red dot left side.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Bersa Thunder .22LR today.
    I enjoy the hammer & all metal construction, but I have to bring it up to only 15" to get on my 1.75" circles.
    You can see where it started getting off on the last row & assume it needs cleaned with the keyholing it was doing.
    I was using a bag of ammo that didn't have the brand name, but a friend said he recognized the symbol on the back of the round (pics below).

Ignore row 1 & 2 using the TX.
    Rows 3 & 4 have the Bersa at only 15".
    You can see where it needs cleaned with its performance today.
    Range 12.27.2022 Some bad circles.jpg #4 used with red dot sights shown in pic.jpg

12.27.2022 Ammo pic not sure but Blazer CCI.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Probably made for airsoft
    Description said it was specifically made for the TX Competition.

This mounting plate is made from fiberglass reinforced nylon in black and uses the factory mounting screws to mount to the TX-22 Competition.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I enjoy the hammer & all metal construction, but I have to bring it up to only 15" to get on my 1.75" circles.
    You can see where it started getting off on the last row & assume it needs cleaned with the keyholing it was doing.
    I was using a bag of ammo that didn't have the brand name, but a friend said he recognized the symbol on the back of the round (pics below).
    He said it was CCI Blazer, which always shoots well for me & is one of my favorite rounds.

Very lackluster performance today.
    View attachment 244617 View attachment 244618

View attachment 244619
    1672183315807.png

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Battle of the Smiths yesterday , last range visit for 2022 - Victory vs 617. Twenty five yards goes to Smith Victory with a 97 , in fact best target to date with the Victory! At 50 yards the 617 came out on top with a 97. Both second place scores were 94s.
    11 12 victory at 25.jpg 11 617 at 50.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    He said it was CCI Blazer, which always shoots well for me & is one of my favorite rounds.

Very lackluster performance today.
    View attachment 244617 View attachment 244618

View attachment 244619
    View attachment 244621
    I noticed you were at 15 feet.
    Was the barrel that fouled up?
    If you have a bore camera I'd like to see it before cleaning.
    How many rounds do you have through it?
    It seems like several 22LR pistols from several manufacturers are having problems.
    I wonder if 22lr ammo manufacturers are using cheaper lead nowadays that is causing the problems?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I noticed you were at 15 feet.
    Was the barrel that fouled up?
    If you have a bore camera I'd like to see it before cleaning.
    How many rounds do you have through it?
    It seems like several 22LR pistols from several manufacturers are having problems.
    I wonder if 22lr ammo manufacturers are using cheaper lead nowadays that is causing the problems?
    Zackcz wondered the same thing about the barrel & mentioned the keyholing.
    I was going to TN the next day & he was coming by to pick up a TX I was selling back to him since I had a TX Competition 5" barrel.
    Zackcz took the Bersa with him to clean for me b/c he wanted to see the barrel also.
    He sent the pic below.

I only put the 40 rds you see through it that day at the range.
    I'm in TN, or I could tell you exactly how many rounds have been put through it since the last cleaning.

Pic before cleaning.
    12.27.2022 fouled barrel.jpeg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Battle of the Smiths yesterday , last range visit for 2022 - Victory vs 617. Twenty five yards goes to Smith Victory with a 97 , in fact best target to date with the Victory! At 50 yards the 617 came out on top with a 97. Both second place scores were 94s.
    View attachment 245083 View attachment 245084
    Love it! :thumbsup:
    This is exactly what I like to see: :coffee:
    - gun
    - target
    - distance
    Only thing missing was the ammo used, haha! :laugh:

The 25 yds is amazing enough to me, but shooting 50 yds is totally awesome! :rockwoot:
    I want to be able to shoot like you do when I grow up, haha! :ingo:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Love it! :thumbsup:
    This is exactly what I like to see: :coffee:
    - gun
    - target
    - distance
    Only thing missing was the ammo used, haha! :laugh:

The 25 yds is amazing enough to me, but shooting 50 yds is totally awesome! :rockwoot:
    I want to be able to shoot like you do when I grow up, haha! :ingo:
    Actually wrote on the targets CCI Std. Vel. Two different lots , but the ammo for me has been very consistent over the years in a wide variety of guns. Thanks for the compliments! I've been shooting handguns for 35 years and with the red dots can shoot as well or better than I used to when I had 20/20 vision.

Plus I used to shoot a lot one handed in the past and going to two hands has actually made things much easier for me! The 50 yard target is actually used in sanctioned bullseye for one hand shooting.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Zackcz wondered the same thing about the barrel & mentioned the keyholing.
    I was going to TN the next day & he was coming by to pick up a TX I was selling back to him since I had a TX Competition 5" barrel.
    Zackcz took the Bersa with him to clean for me b/c he wanted to see the barrel also.
    He sent the pic below.

I only put the 40 rds you see through it that day at the range.
    I'm in TN, or I could tell you exactly how many rounds have been put through it since the last cleaning.

Pic before cleaning.
    View attachment 245273
    I'm really starting to wonder about the lead being used in 22lr ammo nowadays.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I'm really starting to wonder about the lead being used in 22lr ammo nowadays.
    I’m still cleaning it. Have knocked tons of lead out. Some brands of guns and barrels lead more than others for me the last few years. Smith and Wessons have been the worst for me. I do believe the lead may be softer than years past as well but who knows.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    There was a guy on YouTube that had severe barrel leading with his SIG P322 , sent it back and still had the same problem. Evidently a problem with the barrels. Luckily the one I bought did not have any leading issues. Anyway the barrel looked a lot like the barrel pictured above.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I do believe the lead may be softer than years past as well but who knows.
    I'm not sure about the lead hardness in old vs new, but a friend of mine gave me a couple old boxes of Winchester Xpert 22 Hollow Point 36 gr bullets.

The price tag for 500 rounds is $8.99 so it has some age on them for sure.

I shot about 50 rounds today through my TX and man is it dirty! Those rounds today made it way more dirty than it was after shooting a bunch of Aguila and CCI copper coated bullets that's for sure.

Going to go clean it now, lol.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Actually wrote on the targets CCI Std. Vel. Two different lots , but the ammo for me has been very consistent over the years in a wide variety of guns. Thanks for the compliments! I've been shooting handguns for 35 years and with the red dots can shoot as well or better than I used to when I had 20/20 vision.

Plus I used to shoot a lot one handed in the past and going to two hands has actually made things much easier for me! The 50 yard target is actually used in sanctioned bullseye for one hand shooting.
    Yes you did, sorry about that! :ugh:
    My problem with red dots is that I can't see the bullseye of the target I'm shooting at if it is over 30', haha!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’m still cleaning it. Have knocked tons of lead out. Some brands of guns and barrels lead more than others for me the last few years. Smith and Wessons have been the worst for me. I do believe the lead may be softer than years past as well but who knows.
    I'm really glad your curiosity about the barrel led you to volunteer to clean it. :ingo:
    Anytime I go on vacation & you have any curiosity about barrels in any of my other guns, let me know! :lmfao:
    I can't believe it took so long to get all the lead out! :wallbash:
    Nothing like being gone for a few days & coming home to a shiny new barrel. :thumbsup:
    Feel free to dirty it up on that steel target you like to shoot at!

Top Bottom