• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I was working outside today enjoying the great weather and I noticed all at once that there was only about a 5mph wind. This has not been the case lately when we have had nice weather. It has been like 20 mph winds or more so I have not felt like trying to push the limits of my Marlin 795 (22lr) in that kind of wind. Seeing how we wont have many more days like this I pulled my Marlin out and loaded the target and headed to the back of the property to stretch it out a bit. I have 2 Bobcat steel targets (14" and 4") hanging by chains and I put that rig out at 250 yards from my set up point. It took me a few rounds to get my scope dialed in for that distance but once i did i was pretty much good to go. In the video i went 10 out of 10 but I averaged 9 out of 10 once i was set up. Also all the shots are taken with just Federal Champion bulk ammo. The marlin seems to love it so thats what i feed it.

Video - turn you volume WAY up so you can hear the steel ring. Also the delay between the shot and the "ping" is quite long...almost 2 seconds.

Picture - as you can see at that distance i dont have too much control over exactly where it goes on the target. Although if you look at the 4" target to the side i was able to hit that 2 times out of 8 shots at it and i was thrilled about that for the distance.
    2012-11-18_15-54-11_985.jpg

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I love that little 795. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I haven't tried mine out past 100 yrds (although I would sure like to), but it's a heck of an accurate plinker, especially for the price.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    That's a real interesting target stand you have there. Can you give us a better picture of it and maybe some dimension? I've become addicted to rifle shooting, both for accuracy and distance. Looks like you have a real nice place to enjoy it too. Good shooting :yesway:

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I have a Marlin 60 and a 25 bolt action that I bought back in the 1980s, but these guns are not even close in accuracy compared to my Marlin 795 I purchased 2 years ago. Great gun. I need to try this long range 22LR shooting.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    long range rimfire can be addicting. keep pushing her limits

I defiantly need a different scope to push it much further. Im pretty much out of adjustable room on mine (its something near 12 ft of drop at that distance) and because i don't have mil dots on my current scope it makes it hard to hold over consistently. Sometime after the holidays are over Vette I will be getting with you to get a Vortex scope to REALLY push it out. At my place the furthest i can get is 430 yards. That may be stretching it for a little .22lr......but im willing to give it a try.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    That's a real interesting target stand you have there. Can you give us a better picture of it and maybe some dimension? I've become addicted to rifle shooting, both for accuracy and distance. Looks like you have a real nice place to enjoy it too. Good shooting :yesway:
    I don't have any other pictures of it but its just 2 verticle pieces of steel rebar 48" long spaced 24" apart and 1 48" piece across the top of of those 2 (so i have a arm hanging out 2 ft for the 4" piece of steel) and one more piece half way up the vertical pieces. Chain welded in the corners so it centers the target and that's about it.

What optic were you using.
    Just a crappy old Tasco i have had laying around for YEARS and YEARS. Its by no means a great optic at all. but it does seem to hold zero pretty good.

I would really like to push out to 350 yards next but im defiantly going to have to get at least a mil dot scope to do that and at this point ammunition becomes more of a factor. The Federal Champion I was shooting in the video feeds great and the gun seems to like CCI also but i haven't tried the CCI at that distance yet. I can tell you with Blazer ammunition i could only do about 50% hits at that distance. I know there are match grade .22lr rounds and I may end up picking some up and trying them but i will defiantly need a scope to push much further with any consistency and my real goal is to go 430 yards (my places limit) and hit 10 out of 10. This is something that will just have to be a "all things align" deal because the wind will have to be at almost nothing.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I defiantly need a different scope to push it much further. Im pretty much out of adjustable room on mine (its something near 12 ft of drop at that distance) and because i don't have mil dots on my current scope it makes it hard to hold over consistently. Sometime after the holidays are over Vette I will be getting with you to get a Vortex scope to REALLY push it out. At my place the furthest i can get is 430 yards. That may be stretching it for a little .22lr......but im willing to give it a try.

i look forward to it, the furtherst shots ive made with mine are 500 yards. the consistancy is not where i want it at that range yet, but ill get it worked out. my long term goal is 10 shots, 10 inches, 500 yards but im still a good bit from that

Matthew_DM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    The farthest I've pushed my savage mark II is about 275 yards. Love hearing the steel ring at that range with a .22. I also need to get a better scope for further out there with mil-dots.

Top Bottom