• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Alright, before anyone says anything, I am hunting in Alabama not Indiana this year. I am stationed at Fort Rucker for the time being and am looking forward to the upcoming season (Archery just started on the 15th, gun on the 1st).

Reading the Alabama hunting laws, they are very nonrestrictive. You can even hunt deer with hand thrown spear....not for me but I suppose someone?!

Anyways, here you can hunt with " Rifles using center fire, mushrooming ammunition" Thats as restrictive as it gets. Also handguns or pistols using "center fire, mushrooming ammunition"

I was wanting to get something in .308 but right now the budget just doesn't allow it. One of my buddies that is from down here said to just use my AR with good ammo. Asking around I see that it is pretty common practice down here to use .223. Most shots are going to be under 150 yards, mostly 70-100 in the areas where I will be hunting.

I know there have been a few threads similar to this over the years, but has anyone had first hand experience using .223 on whitetail? I found this article. The Myth: The .223 is too Light for Deer

Yes I know shot placement is important, yada yada, follow all local rules, etc etc. Wanting first hand experience if anyone has any.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Whomever told you to stock it with a good bullet and go, has their head on straight.

I've killed dozens of ungulates with rifles chambered in 223 Rem lineage. Mostly with bolt rifles, and most of those 223AI, but some non-AI gas guns have seen action. Whitetails, muleys, pronghorn, gazelle, elk, between hailing distance and 500ish yards.

In my experience far more opportunities have been lost to people who expect a bigger bullet and more case capacity to make up for a lack of proficiency, than by too little of either or both.

As for bullet choice for an AR a Barnes 62 TSX is at the top of the list. If you don't load Black Hills sells them ready to shoot. Winchester's 64 grain power points are a distant second but they do well. On whitetails I trust Hornady 50 VMax as well.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never hunted deer with it, but I sent my .223 down south with a buddy for his kids to hunt with. It took 3 deer that weekend, only one took so much as a step after being hit, and it only made it 20 yds. before piling up. All 3 were killed with the 50 gr. Vmax at distances from 20 to 170 yards.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I would this year if a better cartridge is not available. Might be able beg/borrow or buy something better. Don't break the back down there.

The other thing about the south is there are lots of rifles in the used market we don;t really see in Indiana in large numbers because they are not deer legal. Might check the pawn shops around for a marlin 336 /savage 110/rem 788/savage 340/rem 760. These guns are common for deer hunting in the area and you might be able to pick up a shooter one for 300. add a 50 dollar scope and a 15/20 dollar box of ammo or two. If you can want till after season (Use the AR)they get pawned often and you could pick one up cheap, if you have to use an AR you should be fine the whitetales on average are smaller in the south. These shooters almost always work out well and at least provide a backup for a 308 bolt gun of quality in the future.

When I hunted on the east coast it was strange compaired to here. You took a stand in the swamp where you might be able to see 50 yards top's. they drove to the other end of the swamp and let out the dogs. 12 guage with buckshot was the prefered way to hunt. Kind of a shock for a guy from the midwest hunting the woods and field edges.

If it is as thick in AL as it is in south car. the 223 wiil do fine.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Use to hunt outside Ft Rucker. Down off The Choctawhatchee,
    just outside Shellfield road gate and near Level Plains.

We have a family cematery thats just to the end of Lowe field.

30-30 was my gun of choice.

Liked dove hunting a lot too!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    A well-placed shot to CNS and the diameter of the bullet won't matter one bit...though any quality soft point (let alone TSX or Partition) should do the job just fine.

The largest deer ever taken from my parents' farm in KY was shot by a 14 year old boy using a 55gr V-Max from a 223 Handi-Rifle...a 50yd heart/lung shot resulted in a DRT 12 pointer that just missed qualifying Boone & Crockett. Wish I could say the same for all the deer I've shot in the boiler room with a 130gr 270 or 180gr 30-06...

bubba31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    I personally have seen 2 deer killed with a 223,and the results were impressive,both dropped in there tracks,55 grain hollow points,I also know a good many caribou are taken with 223 every year as well,if I ever have the chance to hunt in a state that allows it I won't hesitate to use a 223

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Ill second the Barnes TSX those bullets really help a caliber punch above its weight so to speak the expansion and 100 percent weight retention work wonders. If at bare minimum it expands double its orignal diameter it will be 44 caliber and hit just as hard as a 44 mag or better and we all know the 44 mag is a proven killer. You may also take a look at the new Winchester razorback xt 64 grs supposed to be similar to tsx bullets

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've placed some 62 TSXs through both front shoulders and the diameter didn't matter one bit either.

Come to think of it, I've never shot any animal at all where I thought if only I'd used 0.0XX" more bullet. I can't say the same about bullet construction.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Wanting first hand experience if anyone has any.
    All my .223 kills with an AR have been one shot kills that required no tracking. A Barnes or Hornady to the "armpit" and they are done. Hunters are not bound by the Geneva convention, use what kills.

The other experience you will have is that after carrying a 5.5lb 16" AR all day hunting, you won't want to use a .308 except for setting up on long range shots across open ground.

The other nice thing is if you run into some ****, a 20 rd mag somewhere on your person can be handy to have. Same goes for back in camp.

nightjunio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I used to live in Texas and hunted many deer and hogs with my Ruger Mini 14 in .223
    In my opinion the .223 is a good versatile round and i think you will have alot of success in hunting with your AR.

i

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have taken hogs with my hand loaded match rounds in 69 grain. Stopped them right now. I would not hesitate to shoot a deer with it. I am loading some TSX now for hunting. Go for it and have fun.

Top Bottom