• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Was looking for someone that has some insight on the 221 Fireball? I see CZ has a bolt rifle in 221 Fireball. Plus the Contender Barrels that are chambered in 221 FB. A coworker was wanting to get something smaller, he was thinking about a Hornet but with the varmit hunting he wants to do at home and on the farm I was thinking something a little bigger would be better? He does not want a .223 or .222 he wants something smaller then these two. Some guys just want everything :dunno::dunno:

Thanks for the input.
    one more

Last edited:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I've of the opinion that one of the best deals out there are the 221 Fireball Remington 700 LVSF rifles that were make a few years ago. I still see them around new, on the clearance rack, for $550 or less. They certainly weren't popular in the 17 Remington and 221 Fireball, you might get a far better deal than the asking price - as they've had several birthdays sitting on that rack.

While I'm a fan of the CZ-527's, if you can find one of the 700's for the same money, it wouldn't be much of a decision.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    221 Fireball vs 22 Hornet

The 221 Fireball wins out over the Hornet hands down. The Fireball is a very modern round originally designed for the then new XP100 pistol from Remington. It is comparitavely quiet compared to a 223 and uses standard .224 bullets. The Hornet has never had a reputation for accuracy and it uses a smaller .223 bullet which limits your bullet selection dramatically. I like CZ firearms but if I could get a 700 for the same price, I would take the 700. Good shooting. :twocents:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The Hornet has never had a reputation for accuracy and it uses a smaller .223 bullet which limits your bullet selection dramatically.

You'd be hard pressed to find a domestically produced Hornet made in the last 30 years with a groove diameter of less than .224.

The Hornet can be superbly accurate, it just takes a properly cut chamber for the intended brass (the rim thickness varies significantly, I prefer Winchester or RWS) and a proper throat for the intended projectiles. Unfortunately, those are few and far between other than custom T/C barrel makers, Anschutz and the CZ-527.

Since we've digressed - Personally, I'd rather have a Hornet than a 221 Fireball.

I can load 223 Remington down to Fireball velocity levels without issue, the hassle of another set of dies, brass, etc.

The economy of a well built Hornet is hard to beat.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The Hornet can be superbly accurate, it just takes a properly cut chamber for the intended brass (the rim thickness varies significantly, I prefer Winchester or RWS) and a proper throat for the intended projectiles. Unfortunately, those are few and far between other than custom T/C barrel makers, Anschutz and the CZ-527.

Since we've digressed - Personally, I'd rather have a Hornet than a 221 Fireball.

The economy of a well built Hornet is hard to beat.

Yes, a good well built Hornet may be the best for him. It may be a bit weak for some shots he would like to take on the Farm but he will have to adjust for that. Get closer! :)

if your friend doesn't reload i would stay away from the 221 and get somthing that he can buy ammo for. does anyone even make 221 fireball ammo?

I have not done any looking yet for a factory 221 FireBall ammo? He does not do any reloading yet, he has been talking about it but that has slowed down due to his Boys moving out of state. We do have a fellow in Argos that reloads that he has taking brass too. I do not know if he the fellow in Argos is set up for 221 FireBall but he does reload 22 Hornet.

Thanks too everyone for the information and help. :yesway:
    one more

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    reloading the 22 Hornet & 221 FireBall?

I have heard that 22 Hornet brasses can have a very short reloading life? Just will not go very many times? Can you guys that reload 22 Hornet give me some information here? What brass has been the best for you?
    The same information for the 221 FireBall would also be great.
    Thanks one more

indianamoon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    South Bend
    221 is one of the best for pistol shooting I believe, But K Hornet is also great. Have a few of those and the brass does not stretch nearly as much as regular Hornet. Just re-chambered one of my contenders and can't wait to wring it out

Indy

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I have heard that 22 Hornet brasses can have a very short reloading life?

If the chamber is on the sloppy side and your brass is undersized to begin with - life will be relatively short (3-4 loads). Combine that with poor reloading technique and you'll be losing them sooner than that.

If you have a decent chamber, with brass that matches - it can go 10+ loads without issue.

At $22/100 pieces, its half the price of nearly anything else out there - who cares how long it lasts. Burning 6-14 grains of powder makes the proposition look better too.

What brass has been the best for you?

.....(the rim thickness varies significantly, I prefer Winchester or RWS) ....

The same information for the 221 FireBall would also be great.

There isn't anything to say about the Fireball, you've got one brass supplier, unless you are forming your own.

The brass life is nearly indefinite, 10+ "regular" loads if you have a properly cut chamber and know what you are doing with your reloading dies.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If the chamber is on the sloppy side and your brass is undersized to begin with - life will be relatively short (3-4 loads). Combine that with poor reloading technique and you'll be losing them sooner than that.

If you have a decent chamber, with brass that matches - it can go 10+ loads without issue.

At $22/100 pieces, its half the price of nearly anything else out there - who cares how long it lasts. Burning 6-14 grains of powder makes the proposition look better too.

Thanks one more time Fireball168, :yesway:
    Yes reloading technique is very important in brass life and proper technique also is easier on reloading equipment. With the economics of the Hornet, it does have a definite advantage.
    With some of the longer shots he would like to take on the farm, (200 + yards) which is good out of a rifle for ground hogs but he is also talking coyotes. That is why I was thinking he might want something a bit bigger? Like I mentioned before I think he will have to adjust his hunting technique for coyotes by either getting closer or calling them to dinner if he does go with the Hornet. :)

Thanks
    One more

Top Bottom