• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Looking at getting a .22 semi auto for plinking. Looking for something that can hold 20+ rounds, will be decently accurate, will fit my wife(short), and will shoot any .22 ammo with little problems.
    Currently thinking about these:

S&W 15-22
    GSG 522
    Ruger 10/22
    Sig 522
    ???

Which would you get and why?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Marlin 795 deserves consideration. It's the least expensive of everything you list; as accurate as any, and more accurate than most. There is a 25 rnd magazine available for it, although I've never seen one used by anyone. As a plinking rifle that costs about $100, it's hard to beat.

bigboomstick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    I personally own several Marlin 22's and couldn't be happier with them. The Marlin Model 60 can be had for approx $100 - you can't beat it for the price. Although I believe the tube magazine only holds 17 rounds.

IF I had to choose between the models mentioned, I would go for the 10/22. It is a great firearm, but I just think it is overpriced compared to other options.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    I'm a big fan of Ruger's 10/22 rifle.
    They can be had for a little over $200 if you watch the add flyers for some of the department-sporting good stores that sell firearms.
    Most gun shops will be pretty competitive with those prices too.
    They can be found used for a little cheaper, but tend to hold their value.

There is nothing wrong with a stock 10/22, but if you desire to cutomize one....the sky is the limit to what you can do with one & they are an easy rifle to work on.

Another one I'll mention...Remingtons 552 Speedmaster.
    It's tube fed & won't take a high capacity magazine, but it can feed 22short, 22long & 22long rifle & the tube magazine will hold a lot of 22shorts.

Remy's 597 is a solid rimfire, I've had two & they both had feed issues....so I don't have them anymore.

Keep in mind high capacity mags are okay, but the more rounds the mag holds, the more time you'll spend loading.
    Ofcoarse I don't have one of them fancy magazine loaders either.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I like the 10/22 but my son and son-in-law have the S&W 15-22(MOE versions). Both are fun to shoot and are accurate and reliable with any .22lr ammo we have used including the bulk ammo. When plinking, I will use whatever is the cheapest.

I am partial to the 10/22 and have had one for just shy of 40 years. Within the past 3 years added the 10/22 target which is one of my favorites. I personally prefer the flush fitting 10 round magazines so I have not tried any of the high capacity mags so cannot comment on their performance.

Be advised that the 10/22 does not have a bolt hold open after firing the last round while the S&W 15-22 does.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    10/22

Check out the Ruger 10/22 compact. Great gun for kids or the wife's due to the short stock. Or do the full size with an ATI stock that is collaspable

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Well I got off work early and went down to Honey Creek Tackle. They had a nice selection for me to hold and look at. I decided on a 10/22 takedown, paid 309 plus tax but also got a 25 round mag with it as well. Already put 50 rounds in it and I like it so far. I was able to hit all the cans I set up no problem and the thing is super light. Very happy so far. Thanks for all the input.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I wanted the smith 22 but found the sig was much cheaper. I do not regret that one bit. I have fired almost and entire brick of federals out of it and not one ftf. Love that rifle. I paid under 400 for it

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Plymouth Walmart has one of the Sig's for sale. Wasn't that excited because I want to find a center fire to add to the collection. Interesting looking though.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    Well I got off work early and went down to Honey Creek Tackle. They had a nice selection for me to hold and look at. I decided on a 10/22 takedown, paid 309 plus tax but also got a 25 round mag with it as well. Already put 50 rounds in it and I like it so far. I was able to hit all the cans I set up no problem and the thing is super light. Very happy so far. Thanks for all the input.

I was just going to suggest that one--it is one heck of a rifle and you bought it right. Excellent choice! :twocents:

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 60................bench rested them both and the Marlin 60 always out shoots the Ruger. Still love the Ruger and won't get rid of it.

Top Bottom