22 pellets with powder driver charges... bad idea, but cool result...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I once heard of very similar cartridges that had a projectile built into it. Haven't seen them in a while, though.

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    Wow. That's pretty wicked action from a pellet. I would never have guessed at that kind of damage/penetration.

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    Awesome. Never thought of trying that. Looks fun. This will be the ultimate for SHTF! While everyone runs to a gun store, just hit up your local hardware store after the fact! All the ammo you can carry!

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I seem to remember reading an article on unusual firearms from Mexico in the distant past in, I believe, "Shooting Times". This was back when the late, great Charles (Skeeter) Skelton wrote for them. It mentioned a line of single-shot long arms which used a standard .22 blank to propel a .22 air rifle pellet made by (again, IIRC) Mendoza. These were supposed to have come about to bypass the draconian Mexican firearms laws while offering farmers, ranchers and other rural folk an economical and at least somewhat effective means of dispatching varmints and small game without running afoul of the Federales.

IIRC, there were a few black-and-white pics, however I have never seem such an item personally. Perhaps a good time to test my Google Fu?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Seems like I have heard of similar results with nylon bar stock projectiles and very light loads. Super high velocity but very short effective range.

Now I am thinking that this would be extra fun with a 10 shot revolver.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The video was pretty clear about cautioning not to recreate this... I have absolutely no idea what kinds of pressures are produced by the construction blanks. Anybody know how they compare to standard 22 loads?? Obviously, it worked quite well for them, but I wonder about excessive wear and tear on standard barrels.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Blanks develop almost no pressure compared to a standard load - thats why you have to have a muzzle device to increase the back pressure for a semi-auto to function with them ("blank adapters").

Neat to watch, but a pointless experiment:
    1) .22 CBs are readily availible, quiet, and effective on small game
    2) conventional .22 pellet rifles are availible that give nearly 1,000 fps real world velocity with lead pellets, and are effective on small game
    3) pre-charged pneumatic .22 pellet rifles are availible that are even more powerfull yet

When I hunt small game with an airgun, I use a Walther Falcon in .25 caliber, its a break barrel with a gas piston that makes 26 foot pounds of energy real world, with a 30 grain lead pellet. Compare that to the 12 - 14 foot punds produced by common .177 pellet guns with their 7 or 8 grain pellet.

You dont have to spend a fortune or invest in a SCUBA setup to humanely harvest small game with an airgun.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom