• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Has anyone given serious study on a source for the cheapest 22 plinking ammo. I have searched and found a wide spread on prices. I would like to buy 3-5 thousand just to lay back. I know it's not going to get any cheaper given our current fiscal/political situation. Thx in advance

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If you can find any, the Federal 550 Value packs at Wally World are the cheapest I've found. Even up to 10,000 rounds I haven't found anyone cheaper, although there are other places that come close, and if you have a discount coupon elsewhere you might be able to shave off a couple of dollars. The ammunition thread usually has some good suggestions.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You can get Federal bulk packs for 19.99 with free shipping from PSA right now. I stay away from Remington, and Winchester now.

I got Blazer for 17.99 a box in the past, but now it is 19.99 at PSA too. I thought since it was made by CCI it would be better than Federal, but it is by far the waxiest, dirtiest ammo I've ever used out of the box (no copper either).

Bottom line, I'm just sticking with Federal, since it isn't waxed, and it is nice shiny clean, and is considered very reliable for bulk ammo.

Last edited:

Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Thank guys. Which I could have gotten in on the deal @ Dunns. I will watch to see if they repeat that sale. I have always had decent luck w/federals. I try to stay away from Remington. Seem to be getting a lot of duds from them.

old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have a little over 1000 rounds that I'm looking to get rid of. It's a mixed bag od short, long and long rifle. Winchester, CCI, etc., and, some boxes of really really old .22 that may be a collectors thing. I'll dump it ll for $35.00 if you're interested.
    Bill
    I also have other ammo to get rid of. If interested let me know.
    B

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    If you have a Big R near by, watch their ads. I recently bought Federal 525 packs for $16.99; they are up to almost $21.00 for the same at my local Wal-Mart.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Rural King runs the Federal 525's for $16.99 every now and then.
    I grabbed the last three in Terre Haute on black friday....the dude right before me grabbed about 10 of them and would have gotten my three if I had been any slower. Jeeeez guys, leave a couple for the rest of us.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    When I first bought a 22 years back everyone I know bought me a brick of Remington Thunderbolts. They are lousy. Stay away from them and don't be tempted because they are cheap...for a reason. This has been a helpful thread. Thanks

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Honestly I watch when Dick's has a sale on Remington Gold Bullets (yep, amazingly enough they are recommended for my AA conversion kits, and they shoot fine in my 15-22 as well), and then I stack coupons on top of the deal (extra points coupons, $10 off $50's, etc). Often the coupons say they exclude ammo, but the guys in the firearms area encouraged me to use them, and I have never had any issues. I loaded up on some the last few weeks.

old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Sorry Lucky, didn't see the post. No, not anymore but I would meet you if necessary. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all this ammo. It may not be a ton but to me it's a lot and I don't want to just take it to the police for disposal when it has value to shooters. PM me if you want to discuss this.
    Bill

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If I am remembering correctly my 15-22 manual says not to use remington, but it has been a while since I read it.

The Remington Gold Bullets work fine. I would not use any of the other Remington 22 ammo (Thunderbolts, etc)

I'd probably shoot Federal, but my AA kits will not feed them at all. Since the AA kits and my 15-22 both eat the Gold Bullets that is the route I go.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom