• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Those groundhogs are a blast to hunt,gives me a retired guy something to get into,I can spend all day enjoying the sun and waiting those little devils out and have a nice lunch out in the field.It helps to find shade to sit under though,LOL.But with a 600yrd rifle , it is easier to find shade.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    I picked this rifle up from another INGO'r in January with the scope on it. It is a TrueGlow 6x18 LOL and yes, it is more scope than the rifle needs.

But I'll leave it on so I can be shooting flies n skeeters this summer when they land on the fences
    Thanks for the info!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Those groundhogs are a blast to hunt,gives me a retired guy something to get into,I can spend all day enjoying the sun and waiting those little devils out and have a nice lunch out in the field.It helps to find shade to sit under though,LOL.But with a 600yrd rifle , it is easier to find shade.

Hard to find a place that offers shots past 300, let alone past 500.
    Saw my dad hit one at 450 yds w a .22- 250 Ruger #1B. Made it down the hole so scored as a miss (even w lots of red on the ground).

Yardage......amazing how folks see things differently and how time seems to lengthen the shots of memory.
    But then again, some folks are just natural born BSer's.

Thankfully today we have laser rangefinders pretty cheap.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Proly have Penrod rebarrel the .22 K hornet after chuck season.
    IMHO the .22-250 is about perfect.
    The little bullets come apart easy (safety).

IMHO the Ruger #1B is THE classic varmint rifle.
    Proly mandate a new bbl and some other work to make one a solid 400 yard plus rig.
    Yup, can get bolt rigs that do better for cheaper.
    But they aint got the look.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Shot one yesterday with the .17 mach2. He went back down the hole but appears to have expired as the dirt I kicked in the hole is undisturbed.

I do the same thing after I shoot one and I don't find the body. I also do this to burrows I find to see how often they are used. Once I find that they are being used I'll a place survey flag near the hole

Last edited:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Shot one yesterday with the .17 mach2. He went back down the hole but appears to have expired as the dirt I kicked in the hole is undisturbed.
    I had the same thing happen last year when I shot some with my Ruger 77/17HMR. I should have taken head shots. I will this year though.

Top Bottom