• ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Came in early.
    It's already hot, muggy, and buggy.

I did get one fox squirrel, but left him for the coyote.
    It's tail was missing about half of the hair.
    One side of the tail was bare from rump to tip.
    There was also a bald spot about the size of a dime on the top of his head.
    Skin underneath was scratched raw.
    Looked like he was in pretty bad shape.

Do squirrels get mange?
    Exactly why I try to resist the urge to go out early season…… covered in fleas ticks and yeah I am sure they can get mange.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When that happens, I use my cat-like reflexes and flip them up into the air with my foot (I'm a lefty when it comes to kicking) and shoot them. From the hip!
    I watched a YouTube video a few years ago where someone set up a clay thrower on his deck rail and baited the thrower with nuts and peanut butter.
    When a squirrel would climb on board, the guy pulled the rope and sent the squirrel on an unscheduled flight.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I watched a YouTube video a few years ago where someone set up a clay thrower on his deck rail and baited the thrower with nuts and peanut butter.
    When a squirrel would climb on board, the guy pulled the rope and sent the squirrel on an unscheduled flight.
    Oooh, I've got an old heavy clay thrower that would be perfect for me to bait for chipmunks. :): But I think I already shot most of them. Haven't seen them around in a while.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Came in early.
    It's already hot, muggy, and buggy.

I did get one fox squirrel, but left him for the coyote.
    It's tail was missing about half of the hair.
    One side of the tail was bare from rump to tip.
    There was also a bald spot about the size of a dime on the top of his head.
    Skin underneath was scratched raw.
    Looked like he was in pretty bad shape.

Do squirrels get mange?
    I've seen them covered in fleas. Looked like their hair was crawling. Coyote appetizer.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    We had a mulberry tree 25 yards straight out from the back door at our old place that was a squirrel magnet. Sit on the porch and drop squirrels all day until you got tired of it.

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Lots of assumptions here. And you know what happens when you assume? If this Hunter ever went to trial and you were being interviewed to be on the jury, you would be dismissed immediately for spouting this crap.
    Well I'm just heartbroken you wouldn't select me as a juror counselor.

You are right, I did make an assumption and I stand by it based on the information that I have from the article. In my opinion if you fire at a squirrel and hit a full grown man you are negligent. He didn't identify his target and what was beyond it. The chances of the shooter firing up into the air and the round coming down far away and striking another hunter is almost zero, so I made my assumption based on what little information was available to me.

My default mindset is not to pull an Al Sharpton and rush to the defense of a fellow hunter/gun owner and start pushing unlikely narratives of innocence. My default mindset is to form an opinion based on what is most likely, and what is most likely is the shooter was negligent, just like all the other negligent hunters who shoot other people every year.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well I'm just heartbroken you wouldn't select me as a juror counselor.

You are right, I did make an assumption and I stand by it based on the information that I have from the article. In my opinion if you fire at a squirrel and hit a full grown man you are negligent. He didn't identify his target and what was beyond it. The chances of the shooter firing up into the air and the round coming down far away and striking another hunter is almost zero, so I made my assumption based on what little information was available to me.

My default mindset is not to pull an Al Sharpton and rush to the defense of a fellow hunter/gun owner and start pushing unlikely narratives of innocence. My default mindset is to form an opinion based on what is most likely, and what is most likely is the shooter was negligent, just like all the other negligent hunters who shoot other people every year.
    Strange how the hunting “accidents” are always in-laws…

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Tomorrow morning is supposed to be cool but sunny.
    Think I'll take the Henry Frontier .22wmr for an early morning stroll tomorrow and see what pops out around sunrise.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I had no idea, but I'll look into this.
    Thanks
    More than welcome, they don't pay much but they double it if you use it to buy lures from them. And if send in 50 or more at a time they reimburse shipping costs. I'm not a hunter but have been thinking about it. But figured this might help out some on here.
    I salted and dried some of mine once just to hang in the house. Never thought of selling them.
    IC/IAC has a carve out specifically for selling squirrel tails iirc.

Top Bottom