• Status
    Not open for further replies.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Going to be putting on a huge pork shoulder shortly. Going to be good eatings tomorrow.

Looks like I will be up all night tending to the Smoker, well not really thinking I will just fill the hopper set it and go.

Last edited:

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Spent a couple hours vacuuming out my pellet smoker and cleaning the excess grease from the inside and outside. Looks almost like it did the day I put it together in 2014. Can’t believe this pit boss has lasted 9 seasons

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Going to be putting on a huge pork shoulder shortly. Going to be good ratings tomorrow.

Looks like I will be up all night tending to the Smoker, well not really thinking I will just fill the hopper set it and go.
    A coworker just today told me to smoke a pork shoulder/butt with the cap facing down...it retains all the yummy fat he said.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I usually do fat cap down. Just for more protection from the heat.
    For amateurs I tell them fat side down for that reason. But honestly it's hard to screw up a whole pork shoulder. I've smoked a couple at 300-315 before and they don't burn at all. But I do fat side up. I want gravity to help me. Once the fat renders it'll fall down through the meat

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I want gravity to help me. Once the fat renders it'll fall down through the meat

I have always done fat cap up for this reason.

I saw where a guy would cut his pork butt in half.....He claimed it sped up the finished product, but also gave more surface area for the rub / bark.

The increased bark makes me think it might be worth a shot.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    For amateurs I tell them fat side down for that reason. But honestly it's hard to screw up a whole pork shoulder. I've smoked a couple at 300-315 before and they don't burn at all. But I do fat side up. I want gravity to help me. Once the fat renders it'll fall down through the meat
    Yeah I've done it both ways and even when it's down I still end up with a boatload of collected juices/fat to separate. So I don't think it really matters, I think there is just plenty of fat throughout anyways. Like you said it's hard to screw one up.

Last edited:

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Finally pulled the Brisket off at 27 hrs. Ridiculous stall on the flat (not wrapped tight enough?) let the point catch up.

Internal on the point was actually 212 by the time the flat hit 200.

Both pieces look and smell great. Resting in a cooler now before I try carving.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom