• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    The last week saw a lot of guys on the ice with fair success but that won't count this week. There may be a few brave souls getting on channels, I don't know. TIP, find a bait dealer in WI and get your bait at 25% of local shops if you go in with some friends to cover postage and order thousands of spikes. They work all the way into summer if kept at 34*

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    The last week saw a lot of guys on the ice with fair success but that won't count this week. There may be a few brave souls getting on channels, I don't know. TIP, find a bait dealer in WI and get your bait at 25% of local shops if you go in with some friends to cover postage and order thousands of spikes. They work all the way into summer if kept at 34*
    Once we get good ice in NWI there is a small pond I just gained access too. Only been ice fishing one time have no gear but thinking an auger and my dock demon will do the trick. Wish me luck. When I say good ice I mean like ice road truckers ice, being a novice it feels uncomfortable out there

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Once we get good ice in NWI there is a small pond I just gained access too. Only been ice fishing one time have no gear but thinking an auger and my dock demon will do the trick. Wish me luck. When I say good ice I mean like ice road truckers ice, being a novice it feels uncomfortable out there
    I would highly recommend a spring bobber, some sort of ice scoop to keep your holes open, and some ice jigs. Carry it all in a bucket and you have a spot to sit. That's all the gear you really need but there's tons you can add. Also, though some do without them, a good spud bar helps keep you safer. You don't want to take an unplanned polar bear plunge. Mine is a digging bar from Home Depot. It's heavy, but good piece of mind.

My winters have been too busy watching my kids play basketball or wrestle to get out much the last few years.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't ice fish, and I've neglected my fishing gear for too long.
    Now that the new year has begun I'm going to be able to purchase the last fishing license I l will ever need in Indiana.
    I can now get a senior lifetime fishing license.
    Just wish they would offer a senior lifetime hunting license.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    A suggestion for a piece of equipment everyone should have on ice. Dont know name of it but I have a “tool” that hangs around my neck on a stretchable cord with a hand grip and spike on each end. I wear it in less on all thick ice. Should I ever go thru, you would grab the hand grips and jam the spikes into the ice to pull yourself back onto ice surface. Available in bait shops, etc.

Weather forecast a couple weeks out doesn’t look like any new ice here in N. IN. Was some spotty fishing here 1-2 weeks ago. Didn’t really hear of anyone having too much success. We still have ice on many areas today but definetly not safe ice. However thinking I may go get some spikes or meal worms today. Forecast says maybe heavy rain over night into tomorrow. In the past similar rains in Jan. has had fish follow the incoming fresh water upstream, out from existing ice cover, and into the inlet channel by me. Caught a bunch of fish. With the warm temps bank fishing next few days could be productive…or not. Either way beats sitting around.

1 am in my 70’s now and stared on the ice when I was very young ( not sure what age but before I ever went to grade school ). Dad and a neighbor had an ice shack, always on Lake Wawasee. Norm was bluegill fishing after morning milking and chores until mid afternoon before home to do chores again. After evening milking Mom & Dad would take me back when they were after crappies. Now just getting to point of too hard for me to tackle snow, cold, etc. Thinking maybe I would advertise and sell all my stuff this year but without ice in the forecast probably not a lot of buyers.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I keep one spinning rod ready for a wacky worm rig for any early warmer rain at this time of year. Find the warmer water entrance to the small lake and normally do very well with a purple worm. Works quite well until April fools day.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I went out on the river (st.joe) last week. Water levels are really high, chocolate milk clarity. Didn’t think I’d catch anything and didn’t. Threw a fluke and on the way back switched over to an inline spinner and slow rolled it in. I think the fish are still lethargic and didn’t expect them to chase much. Too cold and windy for me but still enjoyable.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Been shoreline fishing a bit. Last Wednesday had 5 bites. Caught 4 7-8” gills and lost a small LM bass. Thursday 1 bite, 1 small LM. No other bites since. Amish friend Monday was out on pontoon caught 1 legal walleye, 1 “nice” northern, several smallish LM. Surface water temps were 39*-41*

Slip266

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Heading to Shakamak next weekend. Hoping the crappie bite is on.

Hoping to check out Greene-Sullivan pits for the first time.

Just relined 6 of my reels, and reorganized all my tackle. Took the boy out last week and caught a few blue gill at a farm pond.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    My first filleting session of ‘23. Caught 4 nice gills a month ago then nothing until end of last week. Then scads started coming into the bay but really small. Finally a little more size but not great and still catching many, many more throw backs than keepers. Some in this batch actually had eggs forming. If temps stay elevated for long they will be heading back out and heading towards beds soon. Haven’t got 1 crappie, bunch of small LM. Neighbors shined shorelines Saturday night, said about 200 yards of shoreline beside me was lined solid with red ears but none of us has caught any yet. Other area lakes also have had slow start with things progressing fast of late according to the grape vine. Been a strange spring in my area. The heavy rains of late were first start to warming waters, they had stayed cold. Now Easter is past and temps are up are up enough a few days of sun is jump starting it.
    98DFBD1B-0838-4448-9E8B-B40E476D966C.jpeg

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Yesterday the strong wind really made fishing tough. Ended up keeping 8 to clean. Could have kept few more but were on smallish side, didn’t need them, didn’t feel like cleaning more. This 8.5”er was best

IMG_3107.jpeg

Online this morning showed our surface temps at 56-60* Eggs forming in females, few more days of above temps, and sun speed up gills heading to bedding areas soon.
    Fish 2 spots this morning with 4 different baits/offerings. Caught a 12” LM and bunch of 6” gills. You can see loads of fish, many still with backs out of water…but not aggresively hitting. See what this afternoon/evening offers up.

IMG_6147.jpg
    Nearby Wawasee surface temps this morning show 36-41*.

Top Bottom