• ...and so much more!
  • dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    A6C5E053-4E91-4921-BD6D-CA4EFCB67532.jpeg

A quick and successful morning hunt today. I drifted away from squirrel hunting many years ago and after starting up again this year, I’m at a loss as to why I ever stopped.

Squirrel #1 fell to the Winchester 490 with the 1.75x5 wide view scope on top. As near as I can remember it is the first one to fall to that gun since 2008. That rifle is my first gun. It was a gift from my parents on my 13th birthday and it is last gun I would ever sell. I’ve had it for 42 years now. Where did all that time go?

The second squirrel was taken with the pre-Model 18 S&W revolver pictured. This is the first game to fall to this revolver since I’ve owned it!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Thanks gentlemen, that’s kind of what I thought.

I’ve done out to 1,000 with a 3-9x and a fixed 10x, so I know more isn’t needed or always better, but the current trend for most is crazy mag ranges like the 7-35x or 6-36x lately. I’m more of a 4-20x, but a 3-15x or 5-25x are great as well.

But in thicker woods like it seems we have out here, I kind of figured a 3-9x would be about the happy middle ground. Now I just need to decide if I want a 3-12x or so (in case I fee like I need it on occasion), or if I want to cut weight and stick with a little 2-7x. :)
    I like a little more magnification for making head shots. Let's me get a little more precise if needed. 3-12 area is my preferred, wouldn't go as far as SFP on a hunting rig unless it was a really good deal.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    View attachment 219951

A quick and successful morning hunt today. I drifted away from squirrel hunting many years ago and after starting up again this year, I’m at a loss as to why I ever stopped.

Squirrel #1 fell to the Winchester 490 with the 1.75x5 wide view scope on top. As near as I can remember it is the first one to fall to that gun since 2008. That rifle is my first gun. It was a gift from my parents on my 13th birthday and it is last gun I would ever sell. I’ve had it for 42 years now. Where did all that time go?

The second squirrel was taken with the pre-Model 18 S&W revolver pictured. This is the first game to fall to this revolver since I’ve owned it!

I hope you’re not allergic to poison ivy if you put that rifle back up to your face. I myself am not. But my wife is, to the extreme. I’m always on the lookout just for her sake.

Good hunt, nice looking rifle. Yep time flys.

One Shot 52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2022
    Lawrence
    You`ll need a place to hunt, some form of hunting arm, (shotgun or .22 rifle), and just a little patience.

Owen-Putnam state forest, Yellowwood, Morgan-Monroe, or the Hoosier National are all good places to squirrel hunt.

Generally, during early squirrel season, they`re cutting, (eating), in the shagbark hickory trees. Get into the woods and set up well before daylight. You`ll see and hear them moving through the treetops, you`ll hear the raspy sound of their teeth cutting through the hickory shells and the sound of the pieces of shells hitting the leaves as they fall. Early in the season it may take some work to spot them up in the trees. Just be patient.

Several good videos on YouTube will show you how to dress them out.

scout5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Charlestown
    I REEEEAAALLY wanna get in to it, but coming from AZ, I haven’t the first clue of how to go about it (where to go, what to look for, etc.). I don’t come from a hunting family, and haven’t only been out for quail twice and javelina (handgun) once. That’s it. But rabbit and squirrel are both a LOT of fun to hunt from what I hear, and good eating, too. So I’m going to try and dive in head first.

Any good resources (books, forums, whatever) to help me learn the ropes?
    If you were closer I would take you and show you a few things.

Find a place to hunt, public ground, private ground where ever you can find.
    Buy a hunting license. You can set up an account through the Indiana state website using the DNR route.

If fox squirrel country I like a .22 rifle scoped or open sights just so you can shoot it. If grey squirrels A 12 or 20 ga shotgun with #6 shot generally a full or modified choke. Smaller gauges like 28 and 410 are okay but I generally use 7.5 shot in a 410 and pattern it to find it's max range. A rifle is okay for greys too, but patience is a virtue.

To find squirrels you have to locate what they are feeding on today, not last week and not next week, today. That changes as the year advances and the timing of food sources over lap as well. Just get out there and start looking. They will generally leave sign of what they are feeding on on the ground under the tree. Just get out and go.

When they are cutting (feeding on)a tree/trees there will be fresh sign under it. When they are cutting Hickory they can really pile in on a tree. If I was going to suggest just one type of woods to start in it would be one with lots of beech trees. Beeches make good denning sites and they love beechnuts when they are ready. But early they feed on pines, poplars, wild cherry, then move to hickory, pignut hickory, beech, then oaks. Of course they feed on many other things as well, berries, dogwood seed etc.

Advice: early in the year go at daylight. Besides morning generally being their most active time there are also fewer bugs moving and it's cooler. If late evening is the only time you have still go, you have to hunt when you can not just when you wish.

Just get out and go, pay attention and learn. When you see sign slow down, look, listen for cuttings falling, squirrels make voice sound too, learn them. It is also a good way to just learn the woods here in Indiana. I have helped many people get started hunting from kids to 40+ year olds. I've told many people who said the wanted to learn to deer hunt to start off squirrel hunting first to learn the woods and the basics of how to hunt and how to actually kill something with control.

Above all just get out and go.

scout5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Charlestown
    Later in the year when the leaves are off I use a 22 even in gray squirrel country, but then I am also generally hunting with a dog. I have a Stephen's Cur.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I'm interested to hear how y'all cook 'em - i tried simply frying some hoosier nat'l forest greys a couple years ago and they were so tough I couldn't even bite a piece off.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I'm interested to hear how y'all cook 'em - i tried simply frying some hoosier nat'l forest greys a couple years ago and they were so tough I couldn't even bite a piece off.
    Dredge, in flower salt n pepper. Brown in cast iron skillet, when brown on both sides. Pour on a can of cream of mushroom soup and half can of water, add 3 medium 1/4’ed whole potatoes and a 1/4’ed onion. Add carrots if you like. Remove from flame, tent the whole frying pan with foil, place in oven at 350 for about an hr. Serve, one dirty pan and table wear. Will fall off the bone.

Brown in cast iron skillet, remove from flame, pour one jar of salsa over the pieces, tent with foil, place in oven at 350 for about an hr. Get other dishes dirty making side dishes. Serve, you’ll love it if you try it. Will fall off the bone.

Place raw squack on foil covered baking sheet, brush with your favorite bbq sauce place in hot oven at 350 for about 1/2 hr. After half hr. remove from oven and add a bunch of your favorite bbq sauce, take sides of foil and tightly wrap squack, return to hot oven for another half hr. 45 min. Will fall off the bone.

Can your extra squacks properly in a pressure canner, wait till winter. Go rabbit hunting with a buddy or 3. Come in from hunting in the cold. Open canned squack, pour off liquid, reach in the jar and pull out the bones, the meat will stay in the jar. Pour on a bunch of your favorite bbq sauce, nuke for 3 min. Stir, it will fall apart, put on open faced buns and open a few beers and turn on the football game. Watch game with your buddies while enjoying some of the best bbq samiches you can make. If you use paper plates the only dirty dishes are a few forks. And the jar that you will use for canning your extra rabbits.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas. Got more recipes those are just a few. A lifetime of cooking wild game teaches a few things. Best of luck.

scout5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Charlestown
    So many ways to cook them the worst is probably what you did, over cooked some old ones I'm guessing. Young ones fry up pretty decent. I have a pressure cooker recipe that will make you glut out until you can't walk. Maybe tomorrow I'll type it out. Have a crock pot stew recipe too. When I say recipe I really mean method, I never measure anything, don't need to.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    So many ways to cook them the worst is probably what you did, over cooked some old ones I'm guessing. Young ones fry up pretty decent. I have a pressure cooker recipe that will make you glut out until you can't walk. Maybe tomorrow I'll type it out. Have a crock pot stew recipe too. When I say recipe I really mean method, I never measure anything, don't need to.
    ^^^^
    Same.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    that's how so many people would simply say they make them, but leave out the steps of; steaming/slow-cooking beforehand, baking afterwards, etc. I've learned better now, but haven't hunted them since. I appreciate the recipes and technique advice. I'll probably try something this weekend.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Cut into 5 pieces; 4 legs and the back behind the ribs.15 min at 10# of pressure in the pressure cooker to tenderize. Then an egg bath, some corn meal and Mrs. Dash to dredge them in then into hot bacon grease to crispy them just a smidge. Beats the thunder out of squirrel and dumplings.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Brown them, then boil them in a pot of water with a blend of your favorite seasoning. I boil for 1 hr. Then batter and dry and cover in buffalo sauce. Good stuff

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I've yet to hunt the vermin. The ticks are the reason I will not pursue. I deal with those bastards every day. My boy rode his bike through some tall grass on the road side by my garage had 5 on his leg.

They are hatching right now, I get 100's sometimes 1000's on me a day. No squirrel is worth it.

Come on frost and cold weather!!!!!!

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    My personal favorite is squirrel gravy, but like many other recipes folks have suggested here, the important part is to boil the squirrel first to make it tender, then fry it up in the gravy.

Top Bottom