• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I'm super stoked. Im switching to day shift in a couple weeks so I'll be able to get out more. Going to try a new choke in the Winchester out.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I REEEEAAALLY wanna get in to it, but coming from AZ, I haven’t the first clue of how to go about it (where to go, what to look for, etc.). I don’t come from a hunting family, and haven’t only been out for quail twice and javelina (handgun) once. That’s it. But rabbit and squirrel are both a LOT of fun to hunt from what I hear, and good eating, too. So I’m going to try and dive in head first.

Any good resources (books, forums, whatever) to help me learn the ropes?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I REEEEAAALLY wanna get in to it, but coming from AZ, I haven’t the first clue of how to go about it (where to go, what to look for, etc.). I don’t come from a hunting family, and haven’t only been out for quail twice and javelina (handgun) once. That’s it. But rabbit and squirrel are both a LOT of fun to hunt from what I hear, and good eating, too. So I’m going to try and dive in head first.

You`ll need a place to hunt, some form of hunting arm, (shotgun or .22 rifle), and just a little patience.

Owen-Putnam state forest, Yellowwood, Morgan-Monroe, or the Hoosier National are all good places to squirrel hunt.

Generally, during early squirrel season, they`re cutting, (eating), in the shagbark hickory trees. Get into the woods and set up well before daylight. You`ll see and hear them moving through the treetops, you`ll hear the raspy sound of their teeth cutting through the hickory shells and the sound of the pieces of shells hitting the leaves as they fall. Early in the season it may take some work to spot them up in the trees. Just be patient.

Several good videos on YouTube will show you how to dress them out.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

There is some public land very near you.

Screenshot_20220803-100453.png

Use the link above to find out what you need. My daughter and I dove in head first a few years ago and this site was very helpful.

You'll need a hunting license. If your born after 1985, you'll need to take a hunters ed course to get your license.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    In the woods, waiting at day break, WWII era .22 bolt action in hand, waiting to hear the rustling leaves, followed by some type of nut dropping thru the canopy to the ground…1 of my greatest loves in my youth. Many squirrels ( and rabbits ) have died by my hands. Now I am surrounded by them, often tempted, but really don’t want to clean them and Wife says she won’t cook/roast/bake/ fry them so I just fantasize in my mind. I “kill”, clean, and eat a lot of fish. But I can throw them back if I am just out for fun. Kind of hard to do that after shooting a squirrel, haven’t learned how to shoot and release yet.

Hope you all have a great, successful season.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

If you weren't so far away, I'd take you myself.. Beanblossom is a haul from Warsaw.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Since my last cur dog died I haven't been back out in the squirrel woods. Thinking about going this fall but I don't know if it will be the same without a dog.
    Its just more laid back and quiet. A more passive hunt. Give it a shot. Take the time to reflect on the fun spent with the dogs. (just be advised I hear the pollen count is REALLY gonna be up this year, so you may have some excess eyeball leakage. ;) )

I used to hunt with dad. Havent been since I was a teen. I did get the combo license this year, so I might go out.

Though I tended to wait until the leaves started dropping. Less heat, less ticks, and easier to see them up in the trees to take the shot.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    Its just more laid back and quiet. A more passive hunt. Give it a shot. Take the time to reflect on the fun spent with the dogs. (just be advised I hear the pollen count is REALLY gonna be up this year, so you may have some excess eyeball leakage. ;) )

I used to hunt with dad. Havent been since I was a teen. I did get the combo license this year, so I might go out.

Though I tended to wait until the leaves started dropping. Less heat, less ticks, and easier to see them up in the trees to take the shot.
    We still hunted them for years, then got into the dog game and did that for several years with some very good dogs, it was nothing to have a 2 man limit in an hour. We only hunted 2 days per week until the leaves came off then it was everyday until season ended. I'm sure I'll go and I'm sure it'll be a good time just won't be the same.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    If you weren't so far away, I'd take you myself.. Beanblossom is a haul from Warsaw.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions!

We’re very likely moving to the Lafayette area in the next few months, so Beanblossom will still be a drive, but a good bit closer than from Warsaw. I may bug you later in the season if that move happens for us, LOL.

But for now, I’ll poke around on the site @Bigtanker shared (thank you!) and might give things a try up here. I made the 1985 cutoff by a few hours :D , but will likely still attend a hunter safety course anyway. I do have a few .22s that’ll work along with a 20ga 1100, but I’m hoping to have a few .22 air rifles up and running soon as well.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions!

We’re very likely moving to the Lafayette area in the next few months, so Beanblossom will still be a drive, but a good bit closer than from Warsaw. I may bug you later in the season if that move happens for us, LOL.

But for now, I’ll poke around on the site @Bigtanker shared (thank you!) and might give things a try up here. I made the 1985 cutoff by a few hours :D , but will likely still attend a hunter safety course anyway. I do have a few .22s that’ll work along with a 20ga 1100, but I’m hoping to have a few .22 air rifles up and running soon as well.
    IMO that's even better. Less fleas and ticks on them when the cold weather gets here. That's the worst part of early squirrel season, late season is the way to go IMO

Top Bottom