• ...and so much more!
  • dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    DISCLAIMER: this is my first CZ.

I purchased a new SP-01 and was able to bring it home last Saturday. Upon taking it apart and closely inspecting, I noticed a few things that I did not expect. I will post pics to go along with this.

The following explanations are taken directly out of an email sent to Caleb Paterson at CZ USA

——————
    Markings: this was the most worrisome part. The markings on both the frame and slide look absolutely nothing like I’ve seen in every other SP-01, including on CZ’s website. The markings look like they may have been rushed through, and possibly wider than they should be, and the font doesn’t even seem the same(see the ‘9x19’ and the ‘7’ for specific reference to this). The lines are not clean, but rather jagged and inconsistent. This is not what I expected to see, I was expecting the more clean, rolled look that is seen on CZ’s website.

Barrel: looks as if it wasn’t fully finished, possibly very very light surface rust, but this may just be me being overly attentive after seeing the slide markings. Was hoping you could give me your thoughts. It’s hard to tell even in-person.

Takedown pin: I could be wrong and it could be something else, but it looks like there is rust on the pin, specifically where the pin meets the slide stop. It does not clean, so my assumption is that it’s normal.
    ——————

I got a response from him a couple days later, of which I will post a screenshot for full transparency. Again…I have never owned any CZ pistol before this one, this is my first. I have shot a few at range days, and looked at quite a few in shops while trying not to drool on them. While I’m good to accept Caleb’s explanation, I was hoping to get some insight from the community on what others have experienced or seen. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 9C181847-9620-4EEB-ABA8-DA8D69C79D18.jpeg
      9C181847-9620-4EEB-ABA8-DA8D69C79D18.jpeg
      130 KB · Views: 67
    • 927B3240-67C3-4575-B2EA-AE8BA189DDFC.jpeg
      927B3240-67C3-4575-B2EA-AE8BA189DDFC.jpeg
      109.9 KB · Views: 58
    • 6406F8CB-1C36-49B1-A24C-C95FB3DC655E.jpeg
      6406F8CB-1C36-49B1-A24C-C95FB3DC655E.jpeg
      204.9 KB · Views: 55
    • 918AF5F9-BDC3-43C5-B177-DE7A5CF2363F.jpeg
      918AF5F9-BDC3-43C5-B177-DE7A5CF2363F.jpeg
      246.6 KB · Views: 60
    • 731DB1B5-AEEE-476C-BF02-635951E58DC2.jpeg
      731DB1B5-AEEE-476C-BF02-635951E58DC2.jpeg
      74.2 KB · Views: 64

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    Want to also mention…I had a problem with a Dan Wesson 1911 a year ago. Caleb was my POC for that issue, the problem required sending in to get resolved, and he provided impeccable customer service and facilitated a really fast turn time.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I'm not a CZ expert, but my P-09 has much more crisp lettering. And my gun has only a few hundred rounds through it, but the barrel is more uniform in color.

Heres the lettering:
    IMG_20210619_103224.jpg
    Serial number lettering is equally as smooth as the CZ P-09 label.

Edit: I wish I had cropped before uploading from my phone. Also if we notice, the tail on the P in P-09 does have a little nonuniformity to it, but it doesn't have the "I did this patiently with a drill press" look that your lettering has.

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    I'm not a CZ expert, but my P-09 has much more crisp lettering. And my gun has only a few hundred rounds through it, but the barrel is more uniform in color.

Heres the lettering:
    View attachment 144464
    Serial number lettering is equally as smooth as the CZ P-09 label.
    Veeeeerrry interesting. Yours is much much cleaner but still different than what I’m calling “their traditional lettering”. I have no experience with P-09’s…I’ll have to look closer.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Veeeeerrry interesting. Yours is much much cleaner but still different than what I’m calling “their traditional lettering”. I have no experience with P-09’s…I’ll have to look closer.
    My dad has an SP-01 tactical (decocker version of what you have), I don't think he had any complaints about the lettering quality. This P-09 is my first and so far only CZ, so I can't comment on traditional lettering, etc. Also the P-09 is a much cheaper firearm than the SP-01, so I don't know if yours is milled and mine is cast, etc. Certainly the trigger systems are different and the P-09 is polymer framed. There are many experienced CZ folks who are much more knowledgeable than I am on these things.

The barrel markings look to me more like a byproduct of heat treatment than surface rust, but mine is a nice dark gray color with just a little wear in the finish at the end (at least, without taking the slide off).

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    My dad has an SP-01 tactical (decocker version of what you have), I don't think he had any complaints about the lettering quality. This P-09 is my first and so far only CZ, so I can't comment on traditional lettering, etc. Also the P-09 is a much cheaper firearm than the SP-01, so I don't know if yours is milled and mine is cast, etc. Certainly the trigger systems are different and the P-09 is polymer framed. There are many experienced CZ folks who are much more knowledgeable than I am on these things.

The barrel markings look to me more like a byproduct of heat treatment than surface rust, but mine is a nice dark gray color with just a little wear in the finish at the end (at least, without taking the slide off).
    I did a google. Your lettering looks spot on. Looks like slight variations from model to model.

EDIT: font differences from model to model.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The takedown pin looks normal to me.

The lettering/polycoating is maybe not ideal but I’m going to say it to be within acceptable standards. Pic of mine below.

None of my CZ barrels show that degree of color variation though a few show some. Maybe it’s the lighting in your pic?. I’ll let someone with more metal treatment knowledge speak to that though. I’ll take a guess that it’s fine.

882afaff5c2fc28107473309862cc5e6.jpg

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The lettering on mine looks exactly like mcapo's as well. Yours almost looks like a rough laser cut instead of rolled into the metal. My takedown pin is all black, so I don't see any color changes on it at all. And my barrel is a uniform grey color. Brazing on the pin and heat treat on the barrel sounds plausible, but as others have mentioned, I'll let someone with actual metallurgical knowledge and/or much more thorough gun knowledge weigh in on those.

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    I’m going with pre-covid compared to post-covid. “Covid era rush”…they should make that a line item on the invoice.

Taking it out shooting tomorrow, will update.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Polycoat definitely turned me off to CZs for several years till I actually shot one (plus it's thinner and the lettering sharper on my p01.

That definitely doesn't look top notch but nothing worrying. Is this before or after cleaning? Several manufacturers have used tan/gold grease or antiseize from the factory that's been mistaken by new owners for rust. really bad prep work before polycoat for sure. Not sure what's gong on with the barrel, the markings lengthwise on the bottom and circumfrencially a bit back from the muzzle is normal but yea it almost looks like decorative case hardening just forward of the chamber... again contamination or bad prep work before the surface coating? No idea if it's cosmetic or more.

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    Polycoat definitely turned me off to CZs for several years till I actually shot one (plus it's thinner and the lettering sharper on my p01.

That definitely doesn't look top notch but nothing worrying. Is this before or after cleaning? Several manufacturers have used tan/gold grease or antiseize from the factory that's been mistaken by new owners for rust. really bad prep work before polycoat for sure. Not sure what's gong on with the barrel, the markings lengthwise on the bottom and circumfrencially a bit back from the muzzle is normal but yea it almost looks like decorative case hardening just forward of the chamber... again contamination or bad prep work before the surface coating? No idea if it's cosmetic or more.
    Pics were taken straight out of the box once home. I broke out the ballistol and gave it a good soaking for 45 mins or so, and when I got back to it and went through my normal procedure, the baby blue rag I started with was almost pitch black. Took a lot of stuff off with a good cleaning. That was one dirty pistol…dirtiest I’ve seen out of the factory. My guess is that it was an altogether rushed finish job. I will keep eye on it.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    My P-01 is a pre-pandemic 2020 gun and it looks great from stem to stern. It took a couple of patient years of looking to grab an Omega. I think the polycoat does tend to hide rougher markings, though.

Edit: I doubt there would be any difference in the marking process across models, but who knows?

Attachments

• F68A1697-7F1C-40CD-8848-0820BC983915.jpeg
      F68A1697-7F1C-40CD-8848-0820BC983915.jpeg
      3.6 MB · Views: 14
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom