Not open for further replies.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I've read the bill again Jeepster and I do see your concerns. I'm thinking there is a reason for the wording "person", but it does specify under section 8 (b):
    For purposes of subsection (a), a person who supports or is engaged in the lawful commerce of firearms, firearms accessories, or ammunition includes the following:
    (1) A manufacturer of firearms, firearms accessories, or ammunition.
    (2) A retailer of firearms, firearms accessories, or ammunition.
    (3) A distributor of firearms, firearms accessories, or ammunition.
    (4) A shooting range.
    (5) A trade association.

You can always send Senator Tomes an email. The last time I did (changed verbiage in Indiana code from assault weapon to to machine gun) one of his staffers called me two hours later.
    Thanks Kelly. Makes more sense. Probably should have looked at the full bill.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We've got bills!! And I don't mean MBills!! House bills are up and HB 1034 Right to Carry a Handgun is there! Authored by Jim Lucas, co-authored by Representatives Ben Smaltz, Heath VanNatter, and Sean Eberhart. More to follow, digest below.

Right to carry a handgun. Repeals the law that requires a person to obtain a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Specifies that certain persons who are not otherwise prohibited from carrying or possessing a handgun are not required to obtain or possess a license or permit from the state to carry a handgun in Indiana. Prohibits certain individuals from knowingly or intentionally carrying a handgun. Creates the crime of "unlawful carrying of a handgun". Provides that a prohibited person who knowingly or intentionally carries a handgun commits a Class A misdemeanor. Specifies that the unlawful carrying of a handgun is a Level 4 felony when a person: (1) is less than 23 years of age; and (2) has an adjudication as a delinquent child for an act described by IC 35-47-4-5 (unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon). Allows a resident of Indiana who wishes to carry a firearm in another state under a reciprocity agreement entered into by Indiana and the other state to obtain from the superintendent of the state police department a reciprocity license. Requires law enforcement agencies to make use of certain data bases when issuing reciprocity licenses. Makes conforming amendments.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    We've got bills!! And I don't mean MBills!! House bills are up and HB 1034 Right to Carry a Handgun is there! Authored by Jim Lucas, co-authored by Representatives Ben Smaltz, Heath VanNatter, and Sean Eberhart. More to follow, digest below.

Right to carry a handgun. Repeals the law that requires a person to obtain a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Specifies that certain persons who are not otherwise prohibited from carrying or possessing a handgun are not required to obtain or possess a license or permit from the state to carry a handgun in Indiana. Prohibits certain individuals from knowingly or intentionally carrying a handgun. Creates the crime of "unlawful carrying of a handgun". Provides that a prohibited person who knowingly or intentionally carries a handgun commits a Class A misdemeanor. Specifies that the unlawful carrying of a handgun is a Level 4 felony when a person: (1) is less than 23 years of age; and (2) has an adjudication as a delinquent child for an act described by IC 35-47-4-5 (unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon). Allows a resident of Indiana who wishes to carry a firearm in another state under a reciprocity agreement entered into by Indiana and the other state to obtain from the superintendent of the state police department a reciprocity license. Requires law enforcement agencies to make use of certain data bases when issuing reciprocity licenses. Makes conforming amendments.

It seems a bit lenient on felons.

Although felons that have had their rights restored should be allowed to carry.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County

Now to make sure it doesn't get amended into an unsupportable piece of legislation.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    @KellyinAvon Please update this thread to let us know when the hearing is so we can show up in force!
    You got that right! It's assigned to the Public Policy committee, there are currently no meetings scheduled but I'll be jumping up and down when it comes up for a hearing. It'll be a Wednesday, we know that much. I'm waiting on the calendar to get populated to know what time. In 2019 this committee met in the afternoon, in prior years it met in the morning.

Also, there is an appearance form link when you go to the committee site. When the dates and bills populate those who wish to testify can do so on-line.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Lucas is introducing another Bill, HB 1027

HANDGUN TRAINING FOR TEACHERS

DIGEST​

Handgun training for teachers. Creates a specialized firearms safety, education, and training curriculum (curriculum) for teachers, school staff members, and school employees. Specifies curriculum requirements. Authorizes funds from the: (1) Indiana safe schools fund; (2) Indiana secured schools fund; and (3) school corporation and charter school safety advance program; to be used for the purpose of providing specialized firearms instruction to certain teachers, school staff members, and school employees. Requires a charter school, nonpublic school, or school corporation to ensure that a teacher, school staff member, or school employee who receives a grant from the Indiana safe schools fund for the purpose of receiving specialized firearms instruction complies with certain requirements. Provides that the identity of any person who: (1) enrolls in; (2) participates in; or (3) completes; the curriculum is confidential. Provides that a public school or an accredited nonpublic school may not conduct a training or drill for an employee of the school that includes, as any part of the training or drill, the expelling of any type of projectile at the employee unless: (1) the school informs the employee of the use of projectiles in the training or drill; and (2) the employee consents, in writing, to the use of projectiles during the training or drill. Provides that a public school or an accredited nonpublic school may not conduct or approve a training or a drill for a student of the school that includes, as any part of the training or drill, the expelling of any type of projectile. Authorizes a qualified retired law enforcement officer to carry or possess a firearm on school property. Makes conforming and technical amendments.

ACTIONS ON THIS BILL

H 01/04/2021 First reading: referred to Committee on Veterans Affairs and Public Safety
    H 01/04/2021 Authored by Representative Lucas

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK INGO, draft email/letter below for our elected officials at 200 West Washington Street. Feel free to copy/paste/edit/change happy to glad/fix my sometimes atrocious English as needed.

Senator/Representative,

I am writing to urge your support of HB 1034, Right to Carry a Handgun. This bill was authored by Representative James Lucas and co-authored by Representatives Smaltz, VanNatter, and Eberhart at a time when the essential right of self-defense has never been more important.

There are currently 16 States that have permit-less/no license carry of handguns. Those who oppose such legislation predicted dire consequences, as they do for any bill remotely considered Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 of the Indiana Constitution. Observation shows this is not the case, as does data from FBI Uniform Crime Reporting.

Over the past decade Indiana has passed a number of Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 bills into law. These include: the law forbidding the prohibition of firearms stored in vehicles in employer’s parking lots (2010), the firearms law preemption statute (2011), and the strengthening of the language and due process protections under the “Laird Law” (2019). The dire consequences predicted by those who oppose any law that supports the Right to Keep and Bear Arms simply did not happen.

In 2019, no one saw the year 2020 coming. According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation: our country gained nearly 2.5 million new gun-owners from March-May, and over 2.3 million in June-July 2020. Early on citizens saw shortages of basic supplies and other things never before seen in this country due to the COVID pandemic. Police Departments were being depleted due to COVID exposure and subsequent quarantines. Later riots broke out across the country amidst calls to “defund and reimagine” the Police. People who would’ve depended on calling 911 in 2019 came to a horrific revelation in 2020: “You are on your own, no one is coming.”

If we learned anything from the year 2020, eventually you will have to leave your home. The essential right of self-defense does not stop at the property line. I’m sure I can count on your support with this vital legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Also, looks like nothing on the Radar for 6 January (first day of committee hearings.) I pulled this off the Master House Committee schedule. The one below that in italics is from the Senate Committee schedule.

Testimony: Testimony may occur in the committee room or remotely in Room 9 at the Indiana Government Center South Conference Center. Please review the session protocols at the following link prior to arriving: https://iga.in.gov/documents/1ee24fd3 . A map of Indiana Government Center South can be found here: https://iga.in.gov/documents/5a78254c

Testimony room will open 30 minutes prior to the meeting start time to accept requests to testify. Those who submitted a request to testify through the website must check in at the testimony room upon arrival. Members of the public wishing to view the committee proceedings may do so the the committee live stream.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Lucas is introducing another Bill, HB 1027

HANDGUN TRAINING FOR TEACHERS

DIGEST​

Handgun training for teachers. Creates a specialized firearms safety, education, and training curriculum (curriculum) for teachers, school staff members, and school employees. Specifies curriculum requirements. Authorizes funds from the: (1) Indiana safe schools fund; (2) Indiana secured schools fund; and (3) school corporation and charter school safety advance program; to be used for the purpose of providing specialized firearms instruction to certain teachers, school staff members, and school employees. Requires a charter school, nonpublic school, or school corporation to ensure that a teacher, school staff member, or school employee who receives a grant from the Indiana safe schools fund for the purpose of receiving specialized firearms instruction complies with certain requirements. Provides that the identity of any person who: (1) enrolls in; (2) participates in; or (3) completes; the curriculum is confidential. Provides that a public school or an accredited nonpublic school may not conduct a training or drill for an employee of the school that includes, as any part of the training or drill, the expelling of any type of projectile at the employee unless: (1) the school informs the employee of the use of projectiles in the training or drill; and (2) the employee consents, in writing, to the use of projectiles during the training or drill. Provides that a public school or an accredited nonpublic school may not conduct or approve a training or a drill for a student of the school that includes, as any part of the training or drill, the expelling of any type of projectile. Authorizes a qualified retired law enforcement officer to carry or possess a firearm on school property. Makes conforming and technical amendments.

ACTIONS ON THIS BILL

H 01/04/2021 First reading: referred to Committee on Veterans Affairs and Public Safety
    H 01/04/2021 Authored by Representative Lucas
    Jim brought this same bill up two years ago. I'm good with this, some are not. There is a bill (SB 64) that looks similar but takes control from the locals and promotes crony-capitalism in the ridiculously specific requirements on who can to the training. The guy behind SB 64 had the same bill last year, I testified in opposition.

I'm thinking I'll be support HB 1027, oppose SB 64. I can dust off my notes and I'm there.

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    OK INGO, draft email/letter below for our elected officials at 200 West Washington Street. Feel free to copy/paste/edit/change happy to glad/fix my sometimes atrocious English as needed.

Senator/Representative,

I am writing to urge your support of HB 1034, Right to Carry a Handgun. This bill was authored by Representative James Lucas and co-authored by Representatives Smaltz, VanNatter, and Eberhart at a time when the essential right of self-defense has never been more important.

There are currently 16 States that have permit-less/no license carry of handguns. Those who oppose such legislation predicted dire consequences, as they do for any bill remotely considered Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 of the Indiana Constitution. Observation shows this is not the case, as does data from FBI Uniform Crime Reporting.

Over the past decade Indiana has passed a number of Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 bills into law. These include: the law forbidding the prohibition of firearms stored in vehicles in employer’s parking lots (2010), the firearms law preemption statute (2011), and the strengthening of the language and due process protections under the “Laird Law” (2019). The dire consequences predicted by those who oppose any law that supports the Right to Keep and Bear Arms simply did not happen.

In 2019, no one saw the year 2020 coming. According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation: our country gained nearly 2.5 million new gun-owners from March-May, and over 2.3 million in June-July 2020. Early on citizens saw shortages of basic supplies and other things never before seen in this country due to the COVID pandemic. Police Departments were being depleted due to COVID exposure and subsequent quarantines. Later riots broke out across the country amidst calls to “defund and reimagine” the Police. People who would’ve depended on calling 911 in 2019 came to a horrific revelation in 2020: “You are on your own, no one is coming.”

If we learned anything from the year 2020, eventually you will have to leave your home. The essential right of self-defense does not stop at the property line. I’m sure I can count on your support with this vital legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone

I will be sending postcards to each member of the public policy committee!!!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Light bulb just came on... this is where we beat the red t-shirt wearing Moms in need of action at their own game. They have maybe 10% that actually testify. When I watched Dr John Lott's testimony when SB 150 in Kentucky 2019 became ConC? 2/3 of the damn people behind him were wearing ****ing red mad mom t-shirts!

Most of the ****ing mad moms that do testify can't speak in public for ****. Why do I say this? Because I've sat through their incredibly horrible reading from scribbled handwritten notes testimony more times than I care to remember. Hell, one is a ****ing communist. 90% of them are just filling chairs. Well they can't do that now.

The committee hearing will be on a Wednesday, that we know. Get 2-3 minutes of material. This ain't the same as public speaking this year. Those testifying will be in a different room talking into a camera. Sign up and read it from the paper if you need to.

This is the year we can outnumber them.

Committee rooms and locations where testimony occurs will be reserved only for those who will be testifying or providing information on a particular bill. There will not be accommodations for individuals who want to watch a committee in-person.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK INGO, here comes my review of some of the newly posted bills.

HB1124: Oppose. Surpised about the authors, Matt Lehman and Chris Judy. Near-mirror to SB 64, takes control from local level and has way too specific requirements on who can do the training.

Handgun training for school employees. Provides that, before an employee or any other staff member of a school corporation, charter school, or nonpublic school may carry a firearm in or on school property as authorized by a school board of the school corporation, charter school, or nonpublic school, the employee or staff member shall do the following: (1) Successfully complete certain specialized weapons training or other firearm training. (2) Provide proof to the school board that the employee or other staff member has successfully completed the training. (3) Complete the Minnesota multiphasic personality inventory 2 (MMPI-II) and provide the results

HB1163: Oppose. From Julie Olthoff (District 19, an R with a B- from NRA-ILA). This goes after the 0.8% of criminal who get their firearms at gun shows. Sent to Public Policy Committee, I may go to this one to see Jim Lucas ask questions, and while I'm there speak in opposition.

Background checks at gun shows. Requires a person wishing to sell, trade, or transfer a firearm at a gun show to transact the sale, trade, or transfer through a firearms dealer (dealer). Specifies certain exemptions. Requires a dealer to complete the sale, trade, or transfer of a firearm if the following conditions are met: (1) The dealer agrees to transact the sale, trade, or transfer of the firearm. (2) The dealer is able to successfully contact the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). (3) The dealer receives authorization from NICS to complete the sale, trade, or transfer of the firearm. (4) The recipient of the firearm being sold, traded, or transferred: (A) is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal or state law; and (B) is in compliance with all federal and state laws pertaining to the possession and transfer of certain firearms as defined under the National Firearms Act (NFA firearm), if applicable. Allows a dealer to refuse to transact the sale, trade, or transfer of a firearm for any reason.​

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    SB199: Support. Senator Michael Young. Eliminates pointing a loaded firearm = deadly force/only lawful if deadly force is authorized.

Self-defense. Specifies that "reasonable force" includes the pointing of a loaded or unloaded firearm for purposes of self-defense and arrest statutes.
    Adds: As used in this section, "reasonable force" includes the pointing of a loaded or unloaded firearm to two sections of self-defense statutes.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    From true enemy of our 2A Right an NRA-ILA F Lonnie Randolph. Didn't read, still oppose with every fiber of my being.

SB 173: Prohibition of firearms at polling places

SB 171: Minimum age for license to carry a handgun. Changes the minimum age required for a license to carry a handgun.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Team INGO: I'll be hit and miss monitoring the Statehouse calendar early next week due to the passing of a family member.

If someone spots a bill of interest coming up in committee for a hearing (particularly HB 1034 Right to Carry a Handgun AKA Constitutional Carry) bump the thread and shout it from the rooftops.

I'm should be back in Avon Tuesday night and if HB 1034 comes up on Wednesday I plan to be at the Statehouse.

Things are about to get a lot more real for 2A supporters. It's time to let those at 200 West Washington Street know we're here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom