• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I couldn't find a place for less than $50.

I started with a known food grade drum that originally had crushed pineapple in it, burned the hell out of it, and sanded & rinsed out the inside. It wasn't shiny metal when I was done, but it was bare metal. Before I ever cooked with it, I rubbed the inside with vegetable oil and did a 6 hour seasoning burn with a full chimney of red hot coals dumped on a half basket of unlit coals and hickory. Temps got up to 400+ and after there was a nice black seasoning on the inside of the barrel like a good cast iron skillet. Any nasties that may have been left of the liner were sealed in and temps will never be hot enough when cooking to release them.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    When Chezuki grows a third thumb, you'll know I was right!

Seriously though, get it down to bare metal and you should be fine. I may be overly paranoid.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    When Chezuki grows a third thumb, you'll know I was right!

Seriously though, get it down to bare metal and you should be fine. I may be overly paranoid.

I just wasn't sure if it's ok at "bare metal" or if it needs to be shiny....you guys wipe insides with acetone?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I cooked up some chicken wings on my kettle last week. Smoked them around 350 for maybe an hour with apple wood, glazed with some buffalo sauce for the last 10 minutes or so. They were really tasty, but I would like to do better.

How do you guys do them? Would they turn out better if I crisp up the skin over high heat on my gas grill after smoking? Will that char the glaze, though?

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    There's a couple ways to get crispy skin and one doesn't involve cooking. Buy the package and prep them and set them in the fridge over night uncovered. I typically coat mine in either olive oil or melted butter and apply whatever seasoning and cook them direct at 350 on a raised grid. typically it's 45-60 minutes of cooking. With butter I usually baste them with butter again when i turn them. I have done them direct and indirect and indirect take longer but no difference in the crispiness of the skin. I don't use sauce, if I want hot i just add in some ghost pepper salt to whatever rub I am using.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I cooked up some chicken wings on my kettle last week. Smoked them around 350 for maybe an hour with apple wood, glazed with some buffalo sauce for the last 10 minutes or so. They were really tasty, but I would like to do better.

How do you guys do them? Would they turn out better if I crisp up the skin over high heat on my gas grill after smoking? Will that char the glaze, though?

Yes, you want to crisp the skin before glazing. To prep ahead, I smoke them low and slow (250ish for at least an hour) and then chill them. Once you're ready to eat/serve, fry them for 5 minutes and the sauce or glaze if you must. I like them tossed in dry rub.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Ok. So no need to 'set' the sauce like I do on ribs.

Do you get some decent crispy skin?

I don't normally sauce anything over a flame. A lot of times, I don't sauce anything at all, but it's on the table if you want it.

Finishing on the grill doesn't get the skin crispy, but it's not chewy like it is out of a 250 degree smoker. If you want it crispy, you can toss it in a fryer or hot oil in cast iron. I'm an original recipe kind of guy anyway.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Alright, pitmasters. New challenge.

Canada goose breast.

I have never cooked it or eaten it before. But I end up shooting quite a few of them each year for pest control purposes. Seems wasteful just to toss them.

Any experiences?

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Alright, pitmasters. New challenge.

Canada goose breast.

I have never cooked it or eaten it before. But I end up shooting quite a few of them each year for pest control purposes. Seems wasteful just to toss them.

Hmmm aren't they on the endangered list? Maybe better to use the 3 S principle here.

Any experiences?

Hmmm aren't they on the protected list? You might want to use the 3 S principal here.

Top Bottom