• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Alright, my girlfriend's Grand Am had a code pop up, misfire in cylinder 5. She hasn't had a tuneup in a while, so I decided to do plugs and wires. Igot all of them done except 5. I can't get the boot off of the plug. I actually pulled it so hard that I snapped the wire off. Help!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Cut the boot off? Really, if you're doing plugs and wires it doesn't matter how the boot comes off as long as it comes off right?

Don't neglect the coil-pack as well. It's a common failure point for the ignition as well. I had a back coil-pack in my 2000 Buick (3800 V6)back in 2005 and my wife just had a bad coil-pack in her 2004 Cadillac.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you have a hard time reaching number 5 spark plug boot, then chances are good that the person who previously did the job also had a hard time and never actually replaced the spark plug. I say replace plug and wire and give it a try.

Othe possibities include the fuel injector and (as others have said and more likely) number 5 coil pack. Good luck!

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    It has 143000 on it, and whoever changed the plugs last left the back ones in. They're original plugs in the back burnt to a crisp and it looks to be original wires all the way around.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It has 143000 on it, and whoever changed the plugs last left the back ones in. They're original plugs in the back burnt to a crisp and it looks to be original wires all the way around.
    Unfortunately the rear plugs are very, very difficult to change... I had mine changed at 80k when I had the upper intake manifold replaced as a precautionary measure. I'm at 190k now and still kicking great. Replacing them with the upper intake taken off is much easier. I don't really have any advice to help you actually remove the plug.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Can you remove any covers or accessories to get more room to work?
    Is the AC or alternator back there?
    You can unbolt that stuff and move it out of your way to get to the plugs.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    If you have access to a lift put the car up in the air, loosen the ujoint for the steering rack then slowly lower the back of hte engine sub frame. This will give you access to the rear cylinders. But be sure to loosen that steering u joint of you will ruin it and have even bigger trouble.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Can you remove any covers or accessories to get more room to work?
    Is the AC or alternator back there?
    You can unbolt that stuff and move it out of your way to get to the plugs.
    If its anything like my Buick, which there is a very high probability that it is, there isn't anything that can be removed to help except the upper intake manifold (only a small help), the firewall, or the engine.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I would have had to take the alternator, coil packs, power steering hoses and the hood off to get good access. Instead I kept pulling with needle nose pliers and it came off in about 15 different pieces. Next time, she's doing them.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Tip for next time: find something thin metal that slides just over the ceramic of the spark plug, I use a piece of copper tube, slide it over the old plug, into the boot, it will free the boot from the plug and come out on the copper tube. Then you can replace the plug. Use dielectric grease in the boots when you put the new wires on to prevent this from happening again

Top Bottom