• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Some of you were helpful with talking me into a 16g Citori last year, so I thought I would consult with you all again. By the way really like the 16 that I got.

So if I am going to get a 20, should I stick with another Citori for consistency. For some reason I was looking at a Beretta. this will likely get used by grandkids when I take them out as they are starting in the sport.

will I then be required to get a 28g if I get this?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    YES!!! You NEED, you DESERVE, and it is your DUTY to buy a 20 gauge Beretta O/U shotgun. A 28 gauge is proof that you understand. I really enjoy my White Onxy Beretta 20, one of the cheaper models. Good guns are not cheap, but they last multiple lifetimes.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    IMHO Browning and Beretta shotguns fit very differently. I have heard it said that one is more designed for people with a more oval or elongated face and the other seems to fit people with a more rounded face better.

Since clearly you already like the Citori, I'd say look at the Citori CXS In 20g. My daughter has one and if I were ever inclined to buy a 20g, that's exactly what I would be looking at.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Some of you were helpful with talking me into a 16g Citori last year, so I thought I would consult with you all again. By the way really like the 16 that I got.

So if I am going to get a 20, should I stick with another Citori for consistency. For some reason I was looking at a Beretta. this will likely get used by grandkids when I take them out as they are starting in the sport.

Getting a 28 gauge is not required... it's purely a matter of free will.

There are MANY great shotguns out there, but when it comes to field guns that are actually used for hunting, a Browning Citori remains my favorite.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    IMHO Browning and Beretta shotguns fit very differently. I have heard it said that one is more designed for people with a more oval or elongated face and the other seems to fit people with a more rounded face better.

Since clearly you already like the Citori, I'd say look at the Citori CXS In 20g. My daughter has one and if I were ever inclined to buy a 20g, that's exactly what I would be looking at.
    That is what I was wondering about, how different the fit would be between the two. if it would be hard going back and forth between them.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012

Depends greatly what sport and how old the grandkids are. My kids are 7&11 and finding shotguns for them is a nightmare. If it is light enough it recoils too much if it is heavy to absorb recoil they can’t shoulder it lol

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Depends greatly what sport and how old the grandkids are. My kids are 7&11 and finding shotguns for them is a nightmare. If it is light enough it recoils too much if it is heavy to absorb recoil they can’t shoulder it lol
    That's a good point. The biggest obstacle with buying a shotgun for a kid to shoot and hunt with is they're still growing. Gun fit is important for good shooting but they grow quickly and unless they're are shooting competition it may not be quite as important.
    Lighter loads help mitigate recoil for kids and recoil sensitive people.
    If I were buying a shotgun for a kid it would be hard to not heavily consider a Beretta semi auto with their Kickoff recoil reduction system. But gas guns are pretty soft shooting anyway.
    There are a number of options with reduced length stocks.

When I was a kid learning to shoot dad refused to buy anything in reduced length because he knew I would grow into it. Gun fit sucked but my desire to shoot made me adapt to make it work. Now with my daughter, I had to go with reduced length because I knew she wouldn't grow into anything I had.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    You can get berreta or browning in
    20ga & 28ga combos. Or triples, 410 barrel
    Or even matching set guns too.
    Hard to go wrong with either.
    A field berreta is a really different feel than a competition beretta.
    Browning citori field or competition feel the same.

You can find used stocks for both of them cheap and cut them down for kids.

28ga is a hard one to justify unless you just want to add to a collection. The ammo is harder to find and more expensive. I shoot alot of 28ga, but for competition. So I reload.
    I find 20ga is a more versatile cartridge. I can load it like a 28ga @ 3/4 oz or a 12ga at 1oz.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You can get berreta or browning in
    20ga & 28ga combos. Or triples, 410 barrel
    Or even matching set guns too.
    Hard to go wrong with either.
    A field berreta is a really different feel than a competition beretta.
    Browning citori field or competition feel the same.

You can find used stocks for both of them cheap and cut them down for kids.

28ga is a hard one to justify unless you just want to add to a collection. The ammo is harder to find and more expensive. I shoot alot of 28ga, but for competition. So I reload.
    I find 20ga is a more versatile cartridge. I can load it like a 28ga @ 3/4 oz or a 12ga at 1oz.
    I should look into the combination 20/28 more. Thanks.

wisboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Crown Point 46307
    I have forsaken all my old 12 G scatterguns, Superposed , Model 12's ,etc in favor of 20 G scattergun. However, I now shoot almost exclusively 28 G ...the 28 G is always overlooked . It is a hard hitting, fast swinging lightweight scattergun. I shoot several , 28G Merkel 280EL SXS, Franchi 48 AL Beretta.
    Don't overlook the 28.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have forsaken all my old 12 G scatterguns, Superposed , Model 12's ,etc in favor of 20 G scattergun. However, I now shoot almost exclusively 28 G ...the 28 G is always overlooked . It is a hard hitting, fast swinging lightweight scattergun. I shoot several , 28G Merkel 280EL SXS, Franchi 48 AL Beretta.
    Don't overlook the 28.
    Just depends on the shooter and what the gun is being used for. Nothing wrong with a 20g or 28g if it trips your trigger.
    I've said it before that other than overall gun weight, I don't see any real reason for anything but a 12g. It's more about using a load tailored for what you're doing. Where the sub gauge guns shine is when you have to carry them all day long.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Depending on what your grand kids will be shooting? We have 150 high school kids shooting this year, many start out with a 20 gauge, and all move up to a 12 gauge -Club gets shells cheaper for the 12 gauge .a good 12 gauge youth model that is adjustable and start them of with 950 FPS shell is what I recommend if they are going to shootin the youth shooting sports program.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I’ll probably be the odd man out here.

When I got into skeet shooting, then sporting clays, then hunting…. I was generally shooting a Citori in 12g. I’ve had several, and a few Red Labels.

When I started working a dog, I got tired of the weight of a Citori. On opening weekend, Citori on Friday, SKB 20g on Saturday, and probably an 870 .410 by Sunday.
    Working the dog, I’m not taking many shots. I’m setting others up to take the shot.

I love Citoris, but they are heavy, and not made for walking more than one day, For an old guy.

Top Bottom